Driving schools, intensive courses etc - qxman {p}
My son will be 17 years old in January and is keen to learn to drive. He's bright and knowledgable about how cars work and the basics of driving. I had him driving on an airfield (with a permit) and he picked up the basics of car control within an hour, so I don't think he's going to be one of those 'problem learners' that needs hours and hours of tuition and many attempts at the the test.

Some of his friends are looking at doing 'intensive' courses - anyone tried these?

Any opinions on most effective way of learning and what are 'good' driving schools (BSM, AA?).
Any comments appreciated, especially those that have recently been through this experience.

Thanks.
Driving schools, intensive courses etc - normd2
there's learning to drive and there's learning to pass the test. The intensive courses will teach you to pass the test but it does not follow that they'll make you a better driver. SWMBO can technically drive - put her on an empty road and you'd think she was professional, great car control and road skills but put another car within half-a-mile and she goes to pieces; that's why she's still on a provisional after all these years.
Driving schools, intensive courses etc - Altea Ego
My Junior. 17/18 This year

Father (me) refused to instruct him ( offspring dont listen to parents ). He had 18 lessons, faile d once, passed second time round (after the shock of 11 serious defects on his first test concentrated his mind a little)

He started off at BSM - instructor was *good. This one left after 4 and we had another for 4 more tests. This one insisted on two hour lessons and was *bad. We then found out what instructors our friends had used, and we chose one of them - 10 lessons with *good (female) local, none franchised instructor had us passed,

*Good? *Bad? This is entirely who your offspring likes and trusts. They are the ones in the car, only they can form that opinion.

Dont be afraid to change instructor if the relationship is not there, find out from the local peer group who they used and passed with.

------
< Ulla>
Driving schools, intensive courses etc - daveyjp
Personal recommendation is the best indicator. My dad doesn't advertise widely (yellow pages only, free entry as he has a business phone line contract), but always has plenty of enquiries and is always busy. From experience anyone calling due to the Yellow Pages ad is fishing for a cheap price anyway!

Keep your eyes open for instructors in your area. Busy ones are out and about regularly. My dad is always says be wary of anyone teaching late on Saturdays and Sundays - no instructor should be that desperate for work. If they are having to work so late they are either too quiet or they have a full diary but aren't charging enough and are dealing in quantity rather than quality.

Ask the instructor how many lessons they are doing a week. If it's less than 25 ask yourself why.

I suggest two lessons a week rather than an intensive course.
Driving schools, intensive courses etc - AR-CoolC
I suggest two lessons a week rather than an intensive course.

Got to agree with this, it's what I did, and like your son was very keen to get a licence (first lesson on my 17th birthday). passed first time within three months.

Also go with recomendations, I used the chap who taught my sister a couple of years ealier.
Driving schools, intensive courses etc - deepwith
Agree with both posts above.
Intensive course will get him past a test but then he will be on his own when he starts making his own mistakes and dealing with muppets on the road, which are usually sorted out during lessons.
Daughter no problem to practise with as she LISTENED to parents and responded immediately. First Instructor, local female, sapped her confidence and cost us a fortune then changed to AA and through within weeks. Sadly that instructor retired so we had to start again with son.
Son never got out of a carpark with me as he thought he knew better (see AE above). First instructor he was happy with but we moved him when we discovered he was not being taught any clutch control - the instructors diesel would move off without using accelerator so he could not understand why petrol car would not work for him. Second instructor taught one of his friends, was excellent, cheaper and took no argument!
Driving schools, intensive courses etc - FotheringtonThomas
Any opinions on most effective way of learning and what are 'good' driving schools (BSM
AA?).

I'd be inclined to select a local "one man band" instructor, who has his own car, ensure that his teaching ability is up to scratch (they're graded on both driving *and* teaching ability), and book at least two, maybe more, lessons a week. Ensure that your test date is synchronised with the expected "end of course". Book a "Pass Plus" as well.
Driving schools, intensive courses etc - deepwith
Might I also suggest booking him asap for the theory test as there is a long wait in some areas for a computer slot.
Driving schools, intensive courses etc - hxj

Absolutely and buy a DVD for £10 to £20 with practice theory and hazard perception tests on, worth every penny!
Driving schools, intensive courses etc - Paul I
'intensive' courses - provern to work in the services both the Police and Army train their staff this way - problem is the lad is 17 and probably has a million and one things in his life (school, college, girlfriend mates etc) to learn this way takes motavation and concentration).

I learnt to drive with an independent who was highly recommended. The thing with driving schools; which are brands, are there really is no advantage -not cheaper, not proven to be any better.

Having had a chat only recently with an ADI and he formed the view that "everyones different it can take someone 12 one hour session some people 40 it depends on the pupil.