TUD5 Diesel, cam belt tensioning - firejuggler
Hi all, I'm changing the head gasket on my girlfriends 106 diesel(TUD5). Do I need to use the SEEM tensioning device or can I get away with doing it by hand? Where and how much is the SEEM device? Any help is gratefully appreciated. Thanks

slt

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 11/12/2007 at 19:58

TUD5 Diesel, cam belt tensioning - 659FBE
"Nobody" has a SEEM tensioning device. The method is to fully peg the engine and tension the belt using the square hole in the eccentric idler (door handle square bar fits it) with the three vernier adjustment bolts on the cam wheel and pump wheel slackened. This is important so that there is no locked-in torque acting on the belt whilst it is being tensioned, whilst allowing the pump and cam timing to be precisely set. It's a very good design.

Change the water pump if you are in the slighteset doubt as to its condition - this is easily the weakest link in the timing drive.

As far as setting the tension is concerned, with a cold engine aim for an almost 45 degree twist in the run between the pump and cam wheels. This is pretty tight and is how this belt needs to be set. Ensure the nut locking the eccentric adjuster is fully - but not over - tight.

Best of luck with that damned bolt on the centre plastic cover.