I've taken the plunge... - SuperBuyer
Yep - today I took the plunge and have made perhaps the riskiest decision of my car-buying life and bought a Shogun 3.2DiD Auto Classic.

So why is it risky?

Its a stolen-recovered with an immobiliser problem. The interior is tidy (although the radio has been removed without care), and the bodywork only has a small dent in the wing. The leather seats are without damage. Its just the immobiliser and the fuel-pump that make it a non-starter. Oh, and its got no history with the vehicle (apart from a phone call to the supplying dealer confirming the only times they saw it was at 80K for a service and MOT).

Its got 111K on the clock, and its a 2001 Y.

Anyone want to tell me I've made a mistake? I will hopefully be having it delivered to my mechanic on Friday....

I've taken the plunge... - Nsar
It's impossible to say if you've bought a bad 'un. Of course if you told us how much you've paid for it then we'd have loads of ammo to suck our teeth and and raise virtual eye-brows!

Good luck with it.
I thought I'd avoid that piece of info....

How much would you pay for it?
I've taken the plunge... - Round The Bend
Not much.
I've taken the plunge... - Screwloose
SB

You're only at the beginning so far; you don't even know if the engine/box is trashed - scroats aren't kind to their toys.

Are the dealers prepared to code-in new keys [and a steering lock?] or does it need a whole new immob ECU and coding.

As it stands, it might be worth risking £2-3K on it... Maybe...
I've taken the plunge... - helicopter
Part Ex on a reasonable one around £6,500 according to Auto Trader however they also say.....

Gearboxes fail after 60k miles. At same time, suspension may need overhaul costing £1k. Brake disc replacement can add another £1k

So you are coming up to that sort of expense within the next year any way...

That of course is in addition to any additional damage and cost of a trashed engine your mechanic may find caused by the joyriders / bank robbers.

Personally - I would not touch it with a barge pole. You might end up in profit if you spent less than a grand.

Super caveat emptor ......
I've taken the plunge... - Aprilia
It all depends upon how much you paid. Ideally not much more than its value as a breaker.

Once the motor is started you'll know where you stand.

One statement worries me: " I will hopefully be having it delivered to my mechanic on Friday....". Obviously you are paying someone to do the renovation work for you - I'll be surprised if this is economic, do the work yourself and it'll be a much more viable project.

I used to repair a bit of salvage myself 10-15 years ago (its seldom worth it now). I once bought a Rover 827 sterling with light rear damage. The motor ran OK, but I couldn't try the transmission because the car was 'blocked in' at the yard. Of course once the car was delived I found that reverse gear was damaged - fotunately I know my way around these old Honda autoboxes and managed to repair it for a couple of hundred in parts. Don't neglect to check EVERYTHING on the car before taking it on the road, and then of course straight to the MoT station.
Its cheaper to pay my mechanic at £30 / hour - and its not about making money, its about something to ferry the family around in that isn't some awful people carrier.....

Edited by Webmaster on 04/12/2007 at 00:56

I've taken the plunge... - local yokel
> Its cheaper to pay my mechanic at £30 / hour

Which Scottish island are you on? I'd be lucky to find anyone worth paying in S Oxon for £50/hr....
Coventry - I look after a fleet of vans and cars so get preferential treatment & a company rate!
I've taken the plunge... - Aprilia
Its cheaper to pay my mechanic at £30 / hour - and its not about
making money

Yes, but presumably its about saving money (otherwise you would have bought a straight car, surely?). Doing up salvage is about making/saving money (same thing really) or having fun (if that's the sort of thing you enjoy...).

Take care driving it too. A friend of mine was killed in a head-on crash with one of these. The driver was an experienced CAR driver, but he'd bought the Shogun a few days before. The vehicle was almost new and in good order but the driver overestimated its cornering capability and lost control on a curve - hit my friend's car (a Clio he was testing) head-on.
I've taken the plunge... - MichaelR
Its cheaper to pay my mechanic at £30 / hour - and its not about
making money its about something to ferry the family around in that isn't some
awful people carrier.....

And an awful urban 4x4 is somehow different?

Edited by Webmaster on 04/12/2007 at 00:57

Okay, I've taken the bait!

I used to have a 4x4, but had to get rid when my commute became 110 miles a day and not 50. Since then I've hankered after something that will go anywhere. The Shogun isn't just an urban 4x4 - it will wade through 700mm of water which should be enough to use the alternative route through our village (it crosses a Ford), it has more boot space (Christmas is coming and the relatives live about 600 miles away between them, so only one car trip will be nice)

I thought about something like an Audi A6 or BMW 525/530D to replace the Golf and only have one car, but decided I'm not old enough for a car like that!

Its not about making money. I decided on balance the risk was worth taking. Its always a risk buying a car, at least I know this one is knackered..... :-))

Oh, Aprilia, good point you make about remembering its a big hulking van sized vehicle and not a car! As I said earlier, I've had a 4x4 before, but its getting into the right frame of mind, and remembering it takes longer to stop a 2ton vehicle than a 1ton car...

Edited by SuperBuyer on 04/12/2007 at 06:58

I've taken the plunge... - Dave N
Good on you!

The last time I was in England, it was a free country and you could buy/drive what you wanted. For some reason, on this site especially, the mere mention of a 4X4 or BMW brings out the rightiousness in a lot of people. They probably have a 5 seater car, but seldom carry 5, but that's ok. Have a 4X4 and seldom go off road, and it's a big no no for them. Have a BMW, and you must be some sort of flash harry, when a Lada Riva would do the same job.
Well, in order to keep my green-side happy I'm keeping my 50mpg Golf GTI diesel for doing 30K a year in, and the 4x4 will be weekends for the family and the odd bit of bad weather we get, when the Golf turns into a snowplough/sledge and gives me no confidence whatsoever!!

Its been interesting to see peoples valuations!! Once its been in the garage and looked at, I'll give you an update!
I've taken the plunge... - Manatee
Superbuyer, ignore all the smug sarcasm. Some people can't rid themselves of the conviction that think they are right and therefore everyone else is wrong.

I would have run a mile myself, being somewhat risk averse, but yours is an interesting story that I'd like to hear the end of, it if turns out not to be too painful.
They probably
have a 5 seater car but seldom carry 5 but that's ok. Have a 4X4
and seldom go off road and it's a big no no for them.

A 5 seater car is not hugely compromised as a road vehicle as a result of its ability to carry 5 people. A 4x4, however, IS a hugely compromised as a road vehicle as a result of its ability to go off road.

BMW's are different, as they are actually good.
I thought about something like an Audi A6 or BMW 525/530D to replace the Golf
and only have one car but decided I'm not old enough for a car like
that!

Why? Is there some sort of age restriction on buying a proper car? Or are you at that sensitive stage in life where are you desperate to pretend you are clinging to youthful exhuberence and think that by avoiding certain types of cars people won't think you are old and dull?

From what I've seen it's mostly old people who think 4x4's are awesome, so you are fighting a losing battle there. I'd perhaps understand that comment if you'd decided to go for something obviously young like a small hot hatchback but a diesel accident damaged 4x4? Yea, how yoof culture. Go for it man.
I think I must be at that sensitive stage in life - late 20's, two kids, responsible job, big house, just trying to cling onto the last things that keep me feeling young!

Still, if everyone had the same car to drive wouldn't it be a dull world? No BMW 3-series bashing threads, or how the Mondeo is better than any other car?

The Shogun and the Golf between them haven't (and hopefully won't) cost more than a 5 series of a couple of years old, the Golf is certainly more fuel efficient & smaller, and I just prefer the Golf for commuting - foot down and off you go.

I haven't bought the Shogun on image - I've bought it because it looks nicer than a Landrover, is cheaper than an older Nissan Patrol and is more reliable than the Range Rover....
I've taken the plunge... - Baskerville
I think I must be at that sensitive stage in life - late 20's two
kids responsible job big house just trying to cling onto the last things that keep
me feeling young!

Then the last thing you want is a Shogun. What you need is a girlfriend (preferably not stolen recovered).
However much the Shogun costs, it will still be less than the cost of a Mistress. 'er indoors has already told me that I can't afford to leave her.....

Oh, and I should point out that its the Golf thats keeping me young, not the Shogun which most definitely won't!

Edited by SuperBuyer on 04/12/2007 at 10:52

I've taken the plunge... - boxsterboy
Oh Aprilia good point you make about remembering its a big hulking van sized vehicle
and not a car! >>

The thing with these Shoguns is that they may be big hulking van-sized vehicles on the outside, but they are actually surprisingly small inside. Our friends have one and two of our kids wanted to go with their friend in it. I was gobsmacked to discover that the back seat could only accommodate 2 child seats, due to the rear wheel arches being so far forward.

At the same time we had a little Citroen C3 courtesy car, which did fit 3 child seats in the back!

Child seats may not be an issue for the OP, but it is an indication of the sort of compromises that these vehicles suffer from.
I do only need to fit two child seats in, so I'm okay for that. Its not too bad on the inside size wise though. Its not the width, its the depth (ooerr missus) - meaning its having a car big enough so they don't kick the back of your seat for 99% of the journey.
I've taken the plunge... - Altea Ego
- meaning its having a car big enough so they don't
kick the back of your seat for 99% of the journey.

A slap is much cheaper and more reliable
------
< Ulla>
I've thought of that, but to be fair, they aren't really kicking its their legs are jammed up against the chairs! In fact, when I took one of them out I left behind their shoe because it was jammed!
I've taken the plunge... - normd2
come on then - are you going to tell us how much it was? I hope extremely cheap as, as has been pointed out above, TWOCers aren't renowned for their mechanical sympathy and you've not even been able to start this yet.
Put it this way - it was slightly higher than the 2-3K suggested earlier, and less than the £6.5K for a normal one.

I wish our company car drivers would look after their cars inside in the same way this one has been looked after. In fact, even outside its in better condition than some of the 2year old company vehicles.!
I've taken the plunge... - Group B
TWOCers aren't renowned for their
mechanical sympathy and you've not even been able to start this yet.

I had my Pug 405 Mi16 stolen and it was recovered, the only damage was a bit of cosmetic damage to the rear bumper, there was no evidence of mechanical mistreatment.
It appeared not to have been "joyridden"; the boot had bits of wired glass in it and keys from a computer keyboard (from other "jobs"), so I presumed it had been driven so as not to attract attention, rather than been thrashed all over town.

So there is a chance this Shogun will be fine when he gets it started; but it is a bit of a gamble.

Edited by Rich 9-3 on 04/12/2007 at 11:51

I guess it depends on the reason it was stolen, and how quickly it was recovered. I would hope that if the vehicle had been mistreated it would have had more damage?

Life is just one big gamble. I'm going to stop there before I get too philosophical....
I've taken the plunge... - normd2
I meant to add 'good luck' as well - sometimes it's good to step outside the comfort zone and take a risk, stops things being too dull and predictable.
As an update has been requested.....

I picked up the Shogun today after 9 days in the garage. Its running fine. The biggest problem with it wasn't getting it started - it was the ABS. But £450 later, the ABS works fine. The cars had a service, stereo fitted, new fuel filter & housing and more importantly a good valet. Total cost of the car including purchase price has been about £5,300.

Am I happy?? YES! Its pleasant to drive (although I must get the tracking done), its extremely comfortable and I'm now looking forward to my 1000mile trip over Christmas to the relatives (complete with 2 kids and the wife on the way there, and that plus several large kids toys on the way back!!)

Is it finished yet? Not quite. The alloys need refurbishing. The fuel filler cap release pin has broken. There is a small dent in the wing. It needs a lockable spare wheel cover. Running boards would be nice. There is no remote locking fob with the car.

So, so far it seems like a good gamble. It beats paying £9,995 at a main dealer as seen on Autotrader for the same car without leather!

Its just the blinkin insurance thats so expensive - £700 pa.....

Oh, and does anyone understand the Categories of write off?? This vehicle is a Cat D - insurance chose not to repair. So could it be stolen/recovered or is there something else?

i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg66/phildews/P1010009...g

Edited by SuperBuyer on 19/12/2007 at 21:56

I've taken the plunge... - bell boy
SuperBuyer why didnt you speak to the previous owner via the log book to get the sp
it may have been stolen recovered
it may have been self inflicted
it may have other problems to come to light

go on ring him up outa the blue-blue
No log book - no person to speak to!

Good idea though. I did phone the garage who supplied the vehicle and they had serviced & MOT'd it once at 80K, and there was nothing wrong with the vehicle other than the usual 'your brake discs need replacing soon..' comments.

I'm interested to find out who the past owner was when the V5 drops through the letterbox after Christmas.

Full marks to the DVLA at Worcester (I forgot to mention this above). I went in at 9am on Tuesday morning with my V5 application and my tax application and by 9.10am I was driving away from said office with a tax disc in my hand. I can see the advertising now "If only every government department was as efficient as the DVLA"
I've taken the plunge... - doctorchris
Don't just have the tracking checked, go for a full front wheel geometry or even 4 wheel geometry check cos these big off-roaders will eat tyres unless the whole geometry is set up correctly. In the long run the money spent will be more than saved in avoiding buying new tyres.
Its not the tracking that needed sorting, but the wheels needed balancing. All done now for the princely sum of £23.52 for the 4.

110miles so far, all running well!!
Thought I'd update this thread for those of you who might be interested... Anyone??

Took the car on christmas day, got us all the way to Reading, and broke down on the way home. So ended up getting home in a recovery truck. yeah. Car then spent a week in the garage, but finally ended up with a diagnosis of a broken multiblock connector to the pump. This was fixed at the beginning of January, and having completed a couple of thousand miles with no problem since, its looking good. There is a slight oil leak, but nothing to get excited about (although its transmission out to repair!).

So the car has cost me about £6K in total, including road tax etc., so a saving of at least 2K on a straight car. I found it difficult to find one on Autotrader with the same spec (leather, auto).

So there we have it. Would I buy another? Not as a Cat D, no. My stress levels are bad enough as it is!
I've taken the plunge... - Moriarty
I'd like to say that I've had 4 petrol v6 Shoguns since the early 90's & they are the most reliable cars I've ever owned.

So handy for carrying everything form furniture of large bits of tree.

My present one was the first ever car I bought new (& probably the last) back in 2000 & has done 90k.

It came into it's own a few years ago after days of heavy rain left the local roads knee deep in water, not to mention dragging a rusty old cricket pitch roller across the village green.

It also doesn't flinch at the pot holes in all the roads caused by the lack of investment by this miserable car-hating government.

A curse on all those who think we should be forced to drive Eoroboxes (that is if they let us drive at all).

ps my only complaint is that they all appear to suffer from poor front tyre life.>> Thought I'd update this thread for those of you who might be interested... Anyone??
I've taken the plunge... - oilrag
tinyurl.com/67aue7

;)