1.5 Sport - Oil change and oil related question - catalyst2
My Suzuki IGNIS 1.5 Sport is 3 1/2 years old (18,000 mls) and was last serviced 8 months ago by a Suzuki dealer. It has done about 5,000 miles in the last 8 months.
As I am very satisfied with it (very reliable and drives extremely well), I intend to keep it another 3 years then will part-ex it (it will not be worth much in 3 yrs time but never mind).

1) Does it need an oil change now? (HJ often advocates an oil change every 6 mths after the 1st year, am I right?). If so, would the filter need changing?

2) The oil level at the moment is between low and full (I have never added any oil in the engine, has never needed it between services). Does it need a top up?

3) I do not know what sort of oil they put in last time in March when they serviced it. I have some Shell Helix Ultra 5W-30 Fully synthetic at home, can I use that if it needs a top up?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/10/2007 at 20:05

Oil change and oil related question - Doc
Suzuki recommend a service at 12 months/ 9000 miles, so you could wait another 4 months.

Shell Helix Ultra 5W-30 is fine.

Oil change and oil related question - quizman

I agree with Doc, but you ought to change the filter.
Oil change and oil related question - Aprilia
These use the M15A engine which is a pretty rugged little chain-drive DOHC engine. You only need to change once a year (oil & filter). Shell Helix 5W-30 is what Suzuki recommend for this engine and that is what the dealer should have used at the service (or an equivalent).
Oil change and oil related question - catalyst2
Thanks a lot, that's reassuring about the engine.
It is truly a lovely car to drive and it is a shame they do not produce this Sport model anymore. I never understood why Suzuki never bothered to advertise it at all.

1) So there's no timing belt in the engine, is that right?

2) The oil level at the moment is between low and full (I have never added any oil in the engine, has never needed it between services). Does it need a top up?

Oil change and oil related question - Doc

There is no timing belt in this engine.

2) The oil level at the moment is between low and full (I have never
added any oil in the engine has never needed it between services). Does it need
a top up?

As long as the level is between the two marks, it is OK.
However, on my car I tend to keep the oil up to the full line when checked.

Oil change and oil related question - catalyst2
OK, thanks a lot for the info.

Bizarrely, I checked the oil an hour ago (engine cold) and it was up to full (2 wks ago it was between the two marks -engine was cold as well).