My driving is getting worse - Happy Blue!
I went to London over the weekend, and whilst I normally pride myself on being aware of the road and traffic conditions, found that I would get caught out. Specifically, if I try to drive in a relaxed manner by sticking to between 65 - 75mph, I have to be in lane 1, with occasional forays into lanes 2 and 3. Thats fine, I'm happy in lane 1, if there isn't to much HGV traffic which on a Saturday night there isn't. However, I found myself getting too close to the car in front; having to slow down, or checking my mirrors quickly and trying to accelerate and pull out before I hit the car in front.

This is lack of anticipation and concentration. I am guilty. What is the solution? Funnily enough, if I am in the Outback rather than the Trajet and driving a little more quickly, I don't suffer.
My driving is getting worse - tack
You think that's bad? I reversed my wifes Colt into a skip the other day. Just plain careless? or waiting for the beep beep of "Old Man Radar" that is on the Saab not on the Colt......doh!
My driving is getting worse - oldtoffee
Conditions generally permitting, I prefer to travel at around 80 to 85 mph on motorways because it keeps me from constantly moving in to and out of the the inside lane and means I have to concentrate harder than I would sticking at 65 - 70 mph in the inside lane. The truth is of course that I should be concentrating just as hard at 65 as at 85 but I don't.
My driving is getting worse - stunorthants26
Im still quite sharp at 27 with 10 years driving under my belt, but im finding that driving with a headache feels quite dangerous, more so than it used to.

I also find night driving makes me tired quicker, but that also may be to do with not having my daily caffeine intake!
My driving is getting worse - bell boy
no disrespect but glasses? maybe?
My driving is getting worse - stunorthants26
Wear them :)
My driving is getting worse - Lud
As you say you sometimes almost exceed the speed limit, Espada, I hesitate to say this, but are you perhaps, in the hope of relaxing, going slightly too slowly to keep yourself properly awake? Is fatigue an element?

Batting down a motorway at whatever speed is a matter of constant smooth flow. Sometimes the traffic is so thick or so nervous that you have to adopt a defensive posture. I hate that.
My driving is getting worse - Sofa Spud
Quote:---<< >>

Well, perhaps you need a refresher course in proper driving, or perhaps you should consider giving up altogether.
The above remark was directed at the person who sais they prefer to travel at 80-85 mph on motorways, but tye quote failed to appear between the chevrons on my post.
Still quite sharp at 27 with 10 years' experience? So you should be - most people's driving ability doesn't deteriorate until they start to lose their mental or physical faculties, generally in advanced old age. Reaction time might become a bit longer but that is compensated for by greater awareness and road sense as we get older.
My driving is getting worse - gordonbennet
Have to say i know my driving has got worse for one major reason.

I now an so paranoid about the blinking speeding issue i spend far too much time looking for cameras or at the speedo instead of what i should be doing checking and scanning everything surrounding for hazards.

I for one detest motorway type driving since speed limiters became standard for larger vehicles its got to the point that lanes 1 and 2 will be travelling at a max of 50 to 60 and to make progress using all lanes you have to be ready to zoom straight up to 80 or so to get into the 3rd lane which now seems to be no longer an overtaking lane but a 'hell bent on getting past everyone else and as close to the person in front as poss lane'

Sorry rant over will seek the darkened room now.
My driving is getting worse - Westpig
my theory is that at 60-65 you're bored, not concentrating properly, on auto pilot and feel safe... whereas at 80-85 you're paying a lot more attention., are more aware and keep your concentration going longer

that would account for mistakes at the lower speed and less at the higher

in reality you see it every day you drive down a motorway don't you, lane changing with no aforethought, people driving right into hazards oblivious to the world.... the 'outside lane boys' might irritate the 'middle lane cruisers', but i know who my money is on for having the more concentration.
My driving is getting worse - Mapmaker
>>my theory is that at 60-65 you're bored, not concentrating properly, on auto pilot and
>>feel safe... whereas at 80-85 you're paying a lot more attention., are more aware and
>>keep your concentration going longer

My theory is that at an indicated 70 you are travelling at about the speed of other traffic. You can move between lanes comfortably. It's easy driving, you put neither yourself nor others in danger, and you arrive refreshed.

At 80-85 you are constantly having to speed up and slow down. There are people in the outside lane doing 70mph for whom you have to slow and you spend your life on the brakes and accelerator. That's hard work and you arrive tired and grumpy.

My driving is getting worse - mare
This is lack of anticipation and concentration. I am guilty. What is the solution? Funnily
enough if I am in the Outback rather than the Trajet and driving a little
more quickly I don't suffer.

I think that's part of the problem - if you're sat higher up as in the Trajet, there's less of an obstacle in your line of sight and you creep closer. I found that swopping between the Grandis and other lower cars.

All IMO of course
My driving is getting worse - P3t3r
The brain needs training. Just keep concentrating and use the 2 second rule 'only a fool breaks the two second rule'. After a bit of time it will be natural and you will not need to think about it.

I find that I get a little closer after being a passenger in a car with somebody who drives too close. I automatically drive a little too close, but it also makes me feel a bit unsafe. If I use the two second rule I find that I am driving a bit too close. It takes a while, but my brain eventually learns the distances.
My driving is getting worse - Round The Bend
Espada you don't need new glasses. You're just doing what we should all do and honestly assessing your driving.

I suspect that the paranoia over not wishing to be a lane hogger can mean that we get stuck behind slower traffic in lane one from time to time, hemmed in by all those who just stick to Lanes 2/3 and cruise at higher and often illegal speeds.