Auto gearbox oil - MW
Due for a gearbox filter and oil change soon. In the past I have always used Dexron 11, and 138k later it seems to have served me well.
I have considered Dextron 111, as this is newer and washers whiter, but while chatting at a MB dealership to a MB mechanic, he stated that on older (1992) cars, they still used Dextron 11.
Question: if I use Dextron 111, hoping for better changes and life etc, can I expect any nasty surprises such as seal weaping and leakage? Is there anything negative about Dextron 111 in a 15 year old car?
Auto gearbox oil - Aprilia
D-III is backwards compatible with D-II. Basically its an upgraded fluid - more constant viscosity vs. temperature, lower pour point, resists oxidation better etc etc. I can't think of a good reason not to substitue D-III and I have done so on many MB's. The frictional characteristics are very slightly different, so changes may feel a little different, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Auto gearbox oil - MW
UPDATE
Finally got around to changing the filter and oil. I did use Dexron 111 and so far all seems well. The changes are a little different, perhaps softer and smoother by a tad, although this could just be the result of an oil change itself, but so far no leakages or other woes. All very normal.

Edited by MW on 22/12/2007 at 14:02

Auto gearbox oil - Ruperts Trooper
Even Dexron 3 is now "obsolete", GM are up to Dexron 6 - backward compatibilty should be standard with Dexron.
Auto gearbox oil - MW
What happened to Dexron 4 and 5? They seemed to pass me by. As automatic gearbox oil seems to be 'standardising' on one or two types, do Fords and GM cars still really need to use two types as they did 20 years ago?
Auto gearbox oil - Ruperts Trooper
Dexron 4 has been available for some time, I don't know about 5.

A number of manufacturers have their own specification which isn't covered by Dexron or Mercon - in the US lots of different variants are available but these fluids aren't available in Europe even though we use the same vehicles.