Too many young drivers dying - BobbyG
tinyurl.com/28zkff

Quote from the above report is that one in 3 deaths on Scotland's roads this year have been under 25. What a waste of life.

But what can be done?

Limit the cc - but a 1000cc car can still kill easily?
Limit number of passengers (distraction), how would you actually enforce this?
Limit time of day that can be driven - would be unfair for people who work shifts

The one quoted in the above report, if memory serves me right, was a provisional licence holder who drove a friends car uninsured etc. So if willing to break the law that way, then possibly willing to break any other law.

But what can police / authorities / society do to prevent this waste of life? I know I have mentioned this before but is just getting worse.

Has it helped with motorbikes limiting cc to 125 for learners? Has that made a difference?
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Too many young drivers dying - smokescreen
What can be realistically done for young drivers? Some kids are so desperate to get on the road, they'll goto great lengths to do so... more so than even doing well at school! You nanny one way, they'll show you up another.
Too many young drivers dying - nick
What's needed is a testicular clamp that must be worn by any driver under 25 which talks via bluetooth to the car's management system and progressively tightens when the speed goes over 35 mph or the revs over 2000rpm.

Hmmm, some might enjoy it though.....
Too many young drivers dying - MichaelR
Under 25's have always been killed on the roads and always will be. Measures etc won't do anything to help.

I'd be mighty miffed to be limited to 1000cc. Cars with 1 litre engines are simply unacceptable. Besides, many of the most horrific crashes seem to happen in 1.1 litre Saxo's anyway.
Too many young drivers dying - bell boy
it should be the responsibility of all dads to take their offspring round a holding yard of smashed up cars where you can actually see blood and brain tissue in the laminated screens,i find this sobering and thought provoking,too many kids these days dont know what it is to feel real hard pain till they are crying to the paramedics
Too many young drivers dying - mjm
The number of people who die in hospitals from MRSA and related infections is approximately twice the number killed on the roads. The number of people in hospital compared to the number of people who use the roads must be small.

If the intention of society is to reduce the number of unnecessary deaths then we, as members of society, are starting in the wrong place.

Road deaths always attract headlines. Some cause road closures for hours. Why are hospitals where MRSA deaths occur not also closed for forensic examination? Is causing death by dirt less of a crime than causing death by driving?
while what you say is not motoring related mjm i will still answer this for you
go and see a relative at any hospital and see how many visitors wash their hands prior to going on the wards,the only time it is strictly enforced is in the baby unit
maybe we should start with hanging a few visitors ?
Too many young drivers dying - Leif
go and see a relative at any hospital and see how many visitors wash their
hands prior to going on the wards

Off topic, but the most disgusting toilet I have ever seen was in a Devon hospital.
Too many young drivers dying - GregSwain
I have very little sympathy for someone who kills his/herself through over-confident or dangerous driving. To me it seems that the idiots are removing themselves from the genepool.

The unfortunate consequence is that they often take others with them (be it their passenger, an innocent pedestrian or fellow driver). Not only are cocky inexperienced drivers a danger to themselves, they're a danger to everyone. But... legislating is not the answer - I would've thought the last 10 years of Blair might've taught everyone that. The minute you make it harder to get a licence, people will simply start driving without one.

It's a sad fact of life that there are idiots out there, but no number of measures will change that fact. Just try to keep out of their way.
When are we going to learn to accept that moving millions of people around the country in metal boxes at speeds of up to 70mph isn't always going to be safe, people will die, and that its a fact of life?

Why must we pour millions into useless and pointless schemes, speed cameras and suchlike whilst we let thousands of other people die from preventable NON motoring based deaths every year?
Too many young drivers dying - madf
I have to agree with greg. Most recent (15 years) legislation is unenforced.. see pitbulls , mobile phones insurance...

To add another law when the existing are not enforced is to continue with the folishnes of politicians who think that new law = problem solved.

I suggest far longer driver training, community service lasting months for those who drive without tax or insurance.. and a 100% loss of all entitlemnets to state benefits for 5 years to those offending more than 3 times in 5 years.

(It will not happen of course since our politicians act as muppets and the judges are no better)
madf
Too many young drivers dying - MVP
I agree with Greg too - it's just natures way of thinning out the gene pool.

It's better the reckless and dangerous are removed early on , before they leave widows and orphans, or cause greater carnage later in life

MVP
Too many young drivers dying - rtj70
And they leaves organs for others to have transplants. If roads were 100% safe there's be no organ donors.
Too many young drivers dying - Aprilia
Some rather strange comments in this thread. Legislation DOES work. I am of an age whereby I can remember seatbelt and drink-driving laws (breath test) being introduced. All sorts of reasons were produced at the time as to why these wouldn't work - but they have worked, and many thousands of lives have been saved over the last three decades as a result. Saying that 'accidents will happen' is idiotic and crass to say the least - tell that to the parents. There are very very few genuine 'accidents'.

There ARE prosections for mobile phone use. Several hundred people have been prosecuted since the law was introduced in my county alone - and I know a lady who was pulled over and prosecuted for using her phone.

One issue today is that cars handle much better and have better performance than 30 years ago. When an accident does happen it tends to happen at higher speeds and be much more serious; i.e. fewer accidents but more serious ones.
There should be restrictions on the power-to-weight ratio (or some other performance-related figure of merit) that younger drivers can own and drive. Probably one limit for under-21's and a higher one for under 25's. I think a judge recently commented (after yet another fatal accident) that young drivers should not be able to drive high performance cars like Impreza turbo, Evo's, 330i's. They don't have the maturity or experience to use the machinery responsibly and they vastly overestimate their ability. Cocky young guy, plus mates and a fast car = accident looking for somewhere to happen.

A young relative of mine (17 y.o.) was killed two years ago because his mate (driving an Evo) took at curve too fast, lost control and hit the kerb (doing 60mph in a 30mph area - speed doesn't kill, right?). My relative was in the back of the car and thrown out through the back widow onto the road and died of head injury. This summer, not more than 2 miles from my house, an 18 year old girl was killed when her similar-aged boyfriend misjudged an overtake in his ST24 Mondeo - estimated speed was over 90mph on a 60mph road. There are still a half-mile of marks on the road and there are always fresh flowers at the impact spot.
Too many young drivers dying - Lud
Cocky young guys overestimate their own ability, yes, Aprilia, but they also overestimate the ability of what they are 'driving'. That's why instruction is important. They see rally drivers going at incredible speeds and think, well, I can go at speeds nearly as incredible... It's quite clear that a lot of young drivers haven't a clue how cars actually behave in extreme situations, especially when there are four passengers in the Metro's back seat and the offside rear tyre is a bit soft...
They see rally drivers going
at incredible speeds and think well I can go at speeds nearly as incredible..

Indeed. And I'd rather that they tried to reach those incredible speeds in a 1.0 Polo than a Mitsubishi Evo......(they might actually manage it in the latter). A young driver in a fast car is much more likely to have a fatality than a young driver in a slow car - ask the insurance companies their opinion on the matter!
There should be restrictions on the power-to-weight ratio (or some other performance-related figure of merit)
that younger drivers can own and drive. Probably one limit for under-21's and a higher
one for under 25's. I think a judge recently commented (after yet another fatal accident)
that young drivers should not be able to drive high performance cars like Impreza turbo
Evo's 330i's. They don't have the maturity or experience to use the machinery responsibly and
they vastly overestimate their ability.

You do seem to be rather tarring everyone with the same brush here. Most of the mates I have in my car, for example, have no interest whatsoever in cars and would be rather unimpressed with any attempts I might make to 'show off' my car. Not everyone who is under 25 and choses to drive a nice car is going to want to raz it around the block with 4 chavs in the back doing 60 in a 30 zone.

>>This summer not more than 2 miles from my house an
18 year old girl was killed when her similar-aged boyfriend misjudged an overtake in his
ST24 Mondeo - estimated speed was over 90mph on a 60mph road.

A misjudged overtake can happen in any car. Infact, the slower the car, the more likely it is to happen. It's neive to believe that the guy you mention would not ever have attempted to overtake things if he had a Mondeo 1.6 instead of his Mondeo ST24. And the chances of his car being unable to safely make the overtake in a 1.6 is of course higher than a 2.5 V6.

I do sort of appreciate your point - 17 year olds in powerful RWD cars are a mistake waiting to happen, for example, but this really isn't something you can generalise.
You do seem to be rather tarring everyone with the same brush here. Most of
the mates I have in my car for example have no interest whatsoever in cars
and would be rather unimpressed with any attempts I might make to 'show off' my
car. Not everyone who is under 25 and choses to drive a nice car is
going to want to raz it around the block with 4 chavs in the back
doing 60 in a 30 zone.

Yes I am generalising - that's what you have to do. Its not just 'chavs' that show off, its also nice middle-class kids who can tap their parents for the insurance money to cover a fast car. Seen it enough times. I was even young (and lucky) myself once.
And the chances of his car being unable to safely make the
overtake in a 1.6 is of course higher than a 2.5 V6.

Fast cars in young hands are more likely to end up in an accident, that's an indisputable fact. That's why insurance cover for young drivers of fast cars is so expensive (or simply unavailable). But insurance cost is a blunt instrument to keep the young and inexperienced out of fast motors, with increasing affluence there are plenty of mums and dads who can be badgered into lending financial support. So we probably need some legislation limiting horsepower or Power-weight. We have a similar system with motorbikes - that reduced a lot of the carnage when it was introduced.
Its not just 'chavs'
that show off its also nice middle-class kids who can tap their parents for the
insurance money to cover a fast car. Seen it enough times. I was even young
(and lucky) myself once.
>>

When I was young chavs didn't exist, and Teds, mods and rockers didn't usually have cars. Young drivers tended overwhelmingly to be from the well-heeled classes.

I can assure everyone that young rich people in Ford Zodiacs, Lancias etc. could be very reckless indeed. I too was lucky.
I too was lucky.

And I should have added: some people were very unlucky indeed.
At the risk of seeming finicky, I would like to correct any impression my two posts above may have given that I am rich. In youth I had the good fortune to meet people from the well-heeled classes and survive their driving, but I have never been well-heeled myself. Not that I am complaining.
Legislation DOES work. I am of an age
whereby I can remember seatbelt and drink-driving laws (breath test) being introduced.

It has an effect, but it doesn't work fully. People are still being splatted on windscreens because they're too stupid to buckle up. People are also driving half-cut into pedestrians or oncoming traffic. Yes it'd be moreso if the legislation hadn't existed, but it still happens every day.

A lot of people of my generation (not including myself I hasten to add) have a complete disregard for any legislation, whether it be speed, drink-driving, health & safety etc etc. If someone's intent on driving 60mph through town in an Evo, they'll do it whether or not the car is taxed, MOTd, insured etc etc. Every week in my local paper there's at least one story about someone being fined for driving whilst disqualified.
>> Legislation DOES work. I am of an age
>> whereby I can remember seatbelt and drink-driving laws (breath test) being introduced.
It has an effect but it doesn't work fully. People are still being splatted on
windscreens because they're too stupid to buckle up.

Seat belt compliance is VERY high - over 90%. Seat belt and drink-driving legislation has had a MASSIVE effect on casualty reduction.
Too many young drivers dying - L'escargot
Some under 25s will manage to kill themselves no matter what they drive. Being able to recognise hazardous situations developing sufficiently early only comes with experience.
--
L\'escargot.
Quite right escargot. A measure of caution in the young is more a matter of imagination than intelligence. But the urge to explore limits and pit one's destiny against the fates is strong in the young, and some are always going to come to grief.
Too many young drivers dying - billy25
Many 21 year olds regularly and safely drive PCV's and LGV's maturly enough in the course of thier work, so maybe it's not age thats so much the factor, but the other "influences" e.g Mates and loud music, that muddles thier heads when in a social situation.

Billy
Too many young drivers dying - ForumNeedsModerating
Many of the prescriptives mentioned (power limit, passenger limit, age restrictions etc) for younger drivers, to my mind, miss the point somewhat - it's rather like shooting the messenger. The problem isn't technonlogy based, but behaviour & experience based.

Lower power?
I don't know the statistics, but I'll wager many more young people are killed in low power cars than high powered ones. Even 50bhp cars can do 80mph - plenty fast enough to kill. The risk horizon or perception of the driver will create, imo, a constant level of danger or risk, no matter if they were driving a Porsche or a Perodua - look at the effect that limiting mopeds to 30mph had - young guys tailgating & doing everything possible to avoid losing speed.

Passenger limits? - well, if that did work initially it would be a one-off 'windfall' - as soon as they were unlimited, there's no reason to think the associated risk would decrease - it would just delay it.

Age restrictions? Well, you can delay 'driving puberty' , but you still have to go through it as some stage - again, that merely shifts the accident statistics up & along a few years.

There's also the constant criminal propensity of some people, driving restrictions will deter them as much as mugging restrictions curb that crime.

I think that utlimately you can't legislate your way out of youth, impetuousness & inexperience - well, maybe only in dystopias of the type described by George Orwell. In a world ultimately where there are no sharp edges, there'll be no sharp minds.
In a world ultimately where there are no sharp edges there'll be no sharp minds.

Too true. Unfortunately it appears too late to prevent our country (or indeed the world) from plummeting into an Orwellian dystopia. People no longer accept risk as part of life, and that's apparent with some of the posts on here. Yes, the risk can be minimised, but it'll never be eliminated completely.
Too many young drivers dying - injection doc
Thats right billy 25 & why is that? because they have had a higher standard of driver training. With PSV & HGV training alot of it is about awareness & they know its too risky too drink & drive as their licence is their job, hence the extra caution.
So we need far better & longer periods of training & bell boys sugestion of walking aroud an accident yard is brill
Doc
Too many young drivers dying - stevied
I am not going to rant today (honestly), just offer my opinions quietly. Shh.

Billy is right, IMO. Peer group pressure is huge. Often well into the 20s. Often beyond... but not maybe in the same way. Kids, and that's what they are, can't think straight if they think they're losing face or maybe won't pull that girl they've had their eyes on etc. etc.

Not sure what the solution is, I think there isn't a 100% one, but as a society we need to stop indulging teenagers and kids so much, I don't mean neglect them, I mean stop giving their daft ideas and actions so much credence: they're taken far more seriously than they should be, and given too much slack. 18 year olds think they're 30. They're not. Most of them are daft children.

"You don't understand me". Yes, I understand only too well, so does everyone else....
Too many young drivers dying - Mapmaker
>>18 year olds think they're 30. They're not. Most of them are daft children.

Didn't you mean 30 year olds think they're 18. They're not. Most of them are daft children. ?

Mapmaker, in a lot of instances I think you're right! Eternal youth, and it's attendant dizziness, seems to be actively pursued. As I said, peer group pressure is often far too high well into 20s/30s.....

Some under 25s will manage to kill themselves no matter what they drive.

That's exactly the point I was making. Let them remove themselves from the genepool. My sympathy is with the families of those people who are killed thanks to one of these idiots. I'm still under 25, but haven't had an accident, and have a clean licence. Nevertheless my insurance for year 1 was horrific, but once it'd become apparent that I wasn't one of "them", my premiums nose-dived, and are now a very reasonable £300 odd p/a.

Surely a good question to ask any driver before giving them insurance is "Have you EVER been involved in a fatal accident, the blame for which was attributed to yourself?". If so, stick another zero on the end of their premium. Only problem being they'll then drive without insurance and kill a few more people before they finally succumb.
Make it too expensive or difficult to obtain a licence/cars/insurance and people will just break the law. If happy to do 60 in a 30 zone (and I'm guessing that Lud is *very* seldom happy to do that sort of speed) which is an obvious crime, then frankly driving without insurance which is an undetectable crime (without stop & search) is small beer.

They will show off, they will kill each other... but I know people in their 30s who behave like that on the roads, and I know 17 year olds who don't.

Only education can help, combined with a suitable power restriction (power weight seems very sensible, Aprilia).
Too many young drivers dying - nortones2
The local speed merchants (not all young) have been targeted by sending police out with mobile radar and ANPR to catch the potential crashers. So far, there have been many seizures, and the accident rate has been reduced considerably. There are still some around, but the local team are on the look-out for the culprits. Old fashioned policing - unfortunately because of the number of deaths involving loss of control. Education? I think the knowledge that the police are actively pursuing fools is all they need.
That's exactly the point I was making. Let them remove themselves from the genepool.

In so doing they will take someone else with them. MOST under-25's lack maturity. They are prone to having too-frequent 'rush of blood to the head', the red mist comes down - seen it so many times. The penalty for this should not be death. Lower power-weight ratio cars, more training and driving restrictions do work.

Those of us who remember the motorcycling scene in the 1960's and 1970's will remember the carnage on the roads. I remember on the A6 Derby-Buxton road there would be one fatality a week. Legislation has worked in motorcycling.
Of course there will always be people who break the law, but even if you only got 50% compliance that would be a lot of lives saved.
They are prone to having too-frequent 'rush of blood to the head', the red mist comes down - seen it so many times

Precisely what makes a young person young really - and not the sort of thing amenable, by its nature, to legislation or eduation. Just how low (or preformance restricted) would cars have to be to stop a 'determined' young driver from being able to kill themslves or some other? Surely, so low that it would be a danger in itself & effectively, not fit for purpose.

Those of us who remember the motorcycling scene in the 1960's and 1970's will remember the carnage on the roads

And also the pre-crash helmet days, when a fall at 20mph could kill. I'm all in favour of passive & active safety measures, crash helemts & safety belts - good. Motor cyclists still kill themselves in large numbers, pro rata & compared to car drivers. One the the fastest growing groups of fatalities is the older, 'born again' rider - those typically exhibiting the qualities of youth - overexuberance, overconfidence - they surely have access to all the training/driver safety education going, but exhibit those same 'youthful' tendencies.

I personally dislike unnecessary risk, my age I imagine. But to think of a world so cossetted that every fall landed on a feather cushion & every risk was so neutered it only involved a possible endorsement on the credit card, would be less inviting than the desire to get out of bed each morning.
>>I'm all in favour of passive & active safety measures,

Like restricting the power:weight ratio?

I suggest a 1.4 montego as the ideal car for youngsters. I still managed to write it off (on black ice, at 40mph tops, probably closer to 30) but a nice safe car in which to crash.
Like restricting the power:weight ratio?

The only truly safe power/weight ratio is 0 bhp/ton. A bit low on thrills though.
Low power to weight ratio cars are boring. Not neccesarily because of the performance, but the sort of car you can get with less than 100bhp/tonne looks boring inside, looks boring outside, is tailored for granny to go to the shops in, and is just not the sort of thing the discerning under 25 wants to be driving.
Too many young drivers dying - cjehuk
Crazy idea but how about teaching young people to drive properly? Like we take children through school to pass exams we take our young drivers through to pass the test.

I learnt to drive in a VW Passat Estate 1.9TDI back in 2000 and took my test in January 2001. Prior to taking my test I'd done the best part of 5000 miles driving with my father and then had 4 lessons with a driving school to "unlearn" any bad habits I'd picked up. The instructor came to sit in our car so I wasn't changing cars a couple of weeks before the test, she asked me to move off and drive normally, which I did. Her first comment was "you drive like you've been driving ten years". I drove (and still do) drive much like my father does, I use my wing mirrors when manoeuvring, I change up early and make sure I've got the appropriate power for the situation, if in a powerful car that means I can be in 5th at 30 then that's fine. Dad tought me to feel what the car is doing through the seat, the pedals and the wheel and listen for things that aren't normal. He taught me to anticipate conditions ahead of me and back off early and coast down on the overrun in gear (yet this seems to annoy many drivers who'd much rather tailgate). One time I thought I knew better and ignore the feeling in my bum that I was getting near the limit of the car. It cost me a car. I haven't got that close since but I have got better at sensing what the car is telling me.

Fast forward Six and a half years to two weeks ago. My beautiful girlfriend took her test for the second time and passed. When reversing into a space in a supermarket carpark she pulls up straight not at an angle. She then picks herself a mark over the nearside wing mirror and reverses using that and checking behind on hard lock swinging the nose right out (luckily it's a wide car park). When driving at 30mph she's told 3rd gear is the one to be in and of course the engine is revving harder than necessary and wants to run away from her. She tried 4th once and it was miles better because the power level was safe and no longer excessive. When she comes to junctions she's been taught to come to almost a halt and then change into the right gear, no being prepared on the way.

Limiting the power, passengers or time of day will do nothing to help. Teaching youngsters what the car is actually telling them beyond the speedometer and where a few caps are under the bonnet, that is what will help. How can you recognise a danger sign that you are overcooking it if you have never known what to look for?
Too many young drivers dying - Roger Jones
I suggest that the sort of thing youngsters see on Top Gear and its rival(s) influences their attitude to driving. As far as I can see, almost all of that influence is bad.
I suggest that the sort of thing youngsters see on Top Gear and its rival(s)
influences their attitude to driving. As far as I can see almost all of that
influence is bad.

I suggest that the only people who think that are people who are out of touch with todays youth.

People drove like tards long before Top Gear and will continue to do so long after.

What they mostly see on Top Gear is Jeremy Clarkson powersliding cars shouting POWAH!. Whilst i see many wreckless young guys on a weekly basis, I've yet to see anyone powersliding.
Too many young drivers dying - Blue {P}
i see many wreckless young guys on a weekly basis I've yet to see anyone
powersliding.

*waves hands in air*

You didn't see me in that back street in Newcastle then when i thought I was about to be robbed/assaulted/car-jacked, I've never managed such an impressively smooth and long powerslide, executed with no warning and without hitting anyone or anything. Jezza would have been proud. :-)

Seriously though, this is a discussion that has no outcome that will please everyone, some of the laws do work yes, but then asking everyone to buckle up doesn't really cause anyone any hardship. Imposing draconian rules on under 25's to try and limit their built in foolishness is going to have a noticeable detrimental effect on their motoring freedom. I wouldn't like to have to refuse to drive on a business trip because I'm not allowed to carry passengers due to my age. (in fact, it would be safer if I drove rather than hand the keys to some of my more mature colleaugues!)

Blue
Too many young drivers dying - J Bonington Jagworth
" i see many wreckless young guys"

Which I think is where the OP came in! You appear to be level-headed, but just because you can cope with some performance doesn't mean that it should be freely available, irrespective of age or experience.

You said earlier, WRT overtaking accidents, that "the slower the car, the more likely it is to happen", but that isn't really true, because the opportunities to overtake will be fewer, and the judgement required to complete the manoeuvre will be less critical (i.e. you won't even be attempting it if there isn't plenty of space).

Few motorcyclists would argue for a return to the days where you could buy an unlimited size of bike as soon as you had passed your test (there was only one, then), so why should the 125cc argument not apply to cars? As for your suggestion that "cars with 1 litre engines are simply unacceptable", have you any idea how that sounds? Some sub-litre cars (e.g. Fiat Seicento, Daihatsu Charade GTti, GM Matiz, Suzuki Cappuccino, even the 2CV) can be huge fun to drive, as long as you don't equate power with entertainment...
As for your
suggestion that "cars with 1 litre engines are simply unacceptable" have you any idea how
that sounds? Some sub-litre cars (e.g. Fiat Seicento Daihatsu Charade GTti GM Matiz Suzuki Cappuccino
even the 2CV) can be huge fun to drive as long as you don't equate
power with entertainment...

Would you have wanted to undertake 200-400 mile trips in a Daewoo Matiz? From before I passed my test I was making long trips (With supervision before I passed, obviously) to visit family all over the country and that only got more frequent once I passed. Cars with 1 litre engines are simply not suitable for this sort of journey.

Infact, arguably, I'd wager an 800cc Matiz is more dangerous car than, say, a 2 litre VW Passat for a 300 mile trip up the M6.
"Cars with 1 litre engines are simply not suitable for this sort of journey."

That is a sweeping statement! There must be plenty of Frenchmen who would take issue with you...

Among my early cars were an 875cc Ginetta G15, followed by a Honda S800, both of which were my main form of transport, and I went long distances in both. My Citroen GS was only just over a litre and regularly took my daughter (and her luggage) to Cambridge and back, a round trip from the Isle of Wight of 380 miles. It just requires a different mindset, and teaches anticipation, as lost speed is not so quickly regained.

Can't say I see many Chavs with Passats. If you'd made the comparison with a Subaru Turbo Impreza driven by a newly qualified teenager, I think I'd rather travel in the Matiz...
Too many young drivers dying - tyro
Cars with 1 litre engines are simply not suitable for this sort of journey.

That is a very strange statement. I've driven from Scotland to Eastern Europe several times in a 1.1 litre 49 bhp Fiesta Mk III. It was fine for the task. I can't see why a modern 1 litre car would not be.
Too many young drivers dying - Robin Reliant
cjehuk,

Interesting post. You took to driving naturally and your enthusiasm for doing it properly obviously made it easy for your dad to teach you. Unfortunately, when you are teaching for a living many of your clients are those who dad/hubby/wife etc started to teach and then gave up and vowed never to get in a car with them again after several near-death experiences.

So before complaining that driving instructors often only appear to teach to a very basic level, remember that teaching driving to a certain proportion of your clients is on a par with teaching a fish to play tennis, you do what you can and that's it. (No offence to your girlfriend, btw)
--
Too many young drivers dying - defender
sadly the most recent young fatalities near me were a 16 and 17 year old and the driver only had a provisional license .
nothing in legislation would have prevented the waste of 2 young lives but there is a lot of noise locally about raising the driving age but this would punish responsible youngsters who live in remote areas and need to get cars for college and work as well as to have a social life,
teaching kids to drive to the speed limit without teaching them the cars limit to handle the speed is part of the problem as I can tell from my own sons lack of instruction on driving to road conditions by the driving school who due to pressure of bookings were only interested in getting pupils through the test to give the time to the next person (not a criticism only a statement of fact)who was on the waiting list
pass plus or an advanced driving course should be compulsory and maybe something like a P plate to be displayed for a year or untill one of these had been done
a reduced speed limit could easily be in force for learners and P plate drivers
Too many young drivers dying - Michael, Surrey
I would like to be allowed to add a few comments to this thread, having a particular and close interest in the issue of young drivers, being a member of staff in a large secondary school.

This subject is a growing national problem in my opinion. Firstly, I can not accept the comments of ?let those that are going to kill themselves get on a do it?. I suggest that there are some clear reasons for the death rate of young drivers.

Roads are becoming more congested, road systems more complex and the driving skills required are becoming more demanding. This is more obvious if you look over a long period of time. To the point perhaps where the skills required are beyond those which can be gained within the average period of learning at present i.e. kids pass their test fairly quickly, but cannot gain the skills required for the full range of the driving environment. Teenagers are driving at a much younger age and cars are more powerful.

Within the Psyche of the teenager driver also exists the spirit of showmanship, adventure, invincibility and occasional stupidity.

One area not mentioned in the thread, is the situation with those young drivers who do not kill themselves but their friends, family and other innocent victims instead. These drivers end up in prison and hence the national statistic of 25% of Death by Dangerous Driving convictions are kids aged 20 and below. This is absolutely appalling, for a population of about 6% of all drivers. The consequence is not just a couple or more years in jail but is life long, affecting at this time of their lives, education, career prospects, earnings capacity and psychological well being to name a few.

The current ideas put forward by the Brake organisation call for a graduated system of licensing. This extends the training period whilst imposing certain restrictions during the process of gaining skills and experience. The idea being that for every year you can stop the youngest age group from having an unrestricted licence, you can reduce the death rate by about 9% as developing maturity starts to help. This is supported by those countries who have implemented this scheme. Sorry to go on, I?d better stop now.
Too many young drivers dying - 1066
Michael, Surrey.

something as you suggest needs to be done and quickly.
having said that , nothing will be done.

surely its up to parents to educate their children and maybe the driving instructors could keep reminding their pupils that passing the test is a very long way from being a competent driver with todays traffic volume.

maybe parents could limit the car power and hours driven especially as all the young drivers i know are being subsideised by their parents to the tune of several thousands per year for a nice car and insurance
Or perhaps parents can take a responsible view towards reasonable cars. I've never been discouraged from chosing a powerful car by my parents but they have always supported me in the past to help me make the right decision, and to ensure I knew what I was doing when driving it.

As a result, at 19, they bought me a Skills for Life pack with the IAM, and I passed my IAM Advanced Test at the age of 20. It also meant buying something reasonably quick wasn't some sort of act of rebellion, and I had nothing to prove...

Interestingly, the insurance companies didn't want to know. Absolutely not bothered. They were far more interested in whether I had done Pass Plus, a pointless waste of time involving pottering up the Motorway and back.
MichaelR

Wouldn?t it be wonderful if every young driver did the same as you? I can fully appreciate what they have done for you. I too passed my IAM test, at the age of 21 and I still remember it and drive accordingly. But I guess we had our heads screwed on the right way and were keen to develop our skills. Many do not have the vision nor the resources to do so.

I agree also that parents would be an ideal source of advice, support, training etc. Unfortunately they are not all able to afford it or have the requisite skills. They could certainly show a good example but how many get caught using a mobile in their car, to name but one problem.

It is my view that stopping newly qualified drivers from carrying a car full of their mates for a period of time might be one positive step, although not popular. I do not know how it could be policed either. If you look at typical accidents involving young drivers, many have been caused by a car full of mates urging the driver to take risks that otherwise would not be taken or the mates have been causing a distraction that caused the driver to take their eyes of the road, all with disastrous consequences, often the mates getting killed for not having belts on. In the end I see an imposed change to licensing laws or the licensing process as a path to a solution. Please make sure you keep up those good habits, in spite of what?s going on around you.
Too many young drivers dying - Robin Reliant
It is my view that stopping newly qualified drivers from carrying a car full of
their mates for a period of time might be one positive step although not popular.....

SNIPQUOTE!

Spot on. In a car full of teenagers anyone who puts a belt on is jeered at and the driver is encouraged to be reckless and agressive. For a two year probationary period there should be a ban on carrying passengers unless the front seat passenger is over 21 and has held a licence for three years. P plates should also be compulsory, not so much to warn other drivers that they are in the presence of an inexperienced driver, but to make the newly qualified driver realise that he is a novice and everyone else knows it.

A few practical measures like that would be better than all the "education for education's sake" theory papers.
--
Spot on. In a car full of teenagers anyone who puts a belt on is
jeered at and the driver is encouraged to be reckless and agressive.

Sweeeeeping generalisation - when I was a teenager I drove a car full of fellow teenagers and never felt a need to drive "naked" without my belt.
For a two year probationary period there should be a ban on carrying passengers unless the front seat
passenger is over 21 and has held a licence for three years.

Yes, because the day you turn 21, you're so much more mature than a mere 20 year-old. Would young parents be able to drive with their children in the car?
P plates should also be compulsory

Exists in Australia, and doesn't work. If you see an old, poorly driven car you can be sure it'll have a P plate stuck on it. They still have accidents, and they still die. People will assume after the probationary period that they're suddenly expert drivers, and the idiots will still have the inevitable crashes.

Why can't people accept that some drivers will be irresponsible whether they're 17 or 30, and accidents will always be a part of driving. By driving defensively, one can only hope to avoid an accident, but you can't control the other idiots on the road. Whilst learning to drive, I was given the best single piece of advice by my mum - "Remember that everyone else on the road is an idiot, and be prepared for them to do something stupid at any time." This philosophy has resulted in much more forward planning when I drive, and so far has kept me accident-free.
good advice from your mum greg
to move it up a step thinking laterally as i do,the bravado drivers of today were probably the yay walkers i met yesterday,ie they really do believe they are invincible?
Just this afternoon I nearly mowed down a 10y/o girl who stepped out into the road having looked the wrong way. I can already see ahead and know exactly what sort of driver she'll be. I'll be sure to take out life insurance within the next 7 years ;-)
"advice"

From my favourite philosopher, Piet Hein:

Three facts, quite easy
Should be known to all
Would-be arrivers
Who set out on wheels

That roads are greasy
Safety margins small
And fellow drivers
Fellow imbeciles
In order to answer the question of what to do, one needs to know why so many young drivers die.

It seems to me that there are two reasons.

1) Irresponsibility & problem attitudes - i.e.being more likely to
a) show off
b) take risks
c) ignore or break rules

These factors considerably increase the probability of having an accident, and they are more likely to be found in adolescents than older people. They are also more likely to be found in males than females. Yes, you get plenty of young people, even young men, who do not exhibit these traits, but you get very few (say) older women who do.

2. Inexperience.
Inexperienced drivers who are responsible people are more likely to have accidents than than experienced drivers, simply because they are not as familiar with the way cars handle.

Tackling irresponsiblity and problem attitudes is difficult. Plenty of ideas above.

The problem of inexperience is easier to deal with. People who have just passed their test should be told that they are inexperienced and don't know it all. Speaking from personal experience, I was never told that when I had passed my test, and I suffered a remarkable number of prangs and near misses within the next couple of years.
tinyurl.com/35d7rn

Robbie Coltrane's thoughts on the subject.

I like the idea of the track testing to show how easy it is for the car to lose control although I don't know if this would encourage some to see how close they can get to that limit on the roads?

Also, is there more to be done on education before they reach 17, through the schools perhaps? If it was gradually phased in, say from 14 onwards, then the sudden rush at 17 to get out on the road might not be so dramatic. This education could be in the form of driving on a private track, seeing some written off cars, talks from parents and peers who have suffered losses, permanent disabilities etc?

At the end of the day some will still choose to be boy racers and there is nothing you can do about that, but others may be influenced enough to help them make the right decisions.
--
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
I absolutely agree with MichaelR that a 1 litre Fiesta is not a *suitable* car for a 300 mile journey. Of course it will do it, of course we've all done it, but it won't be comfortable.

On the other hand, legislation has to be a one size for all. So no car-loads of passengers until you are 21 and have a year post-test. No 2 litre Mondeos either. Sorry. As ever the few must suffer for the benefit of the many.

There are plenty of 16 year olds who are quite capable of attaining a driving licence and driving safely. (The Armed Forces are full of them, I understand.) However, in the interests of general safety, they all have to wait until they are 17. It's just not fair, life.
"I absolutely agree with MichaelR that a 1 litre Fiesta is not a *suitable* car for a 300 mile journey. Of course it will do it, of course we've all done it, but it won't be comfortable."

I haven't actually, never having had a Fiesta, but I assure you that the barely 1-litre Citroen GS is/was a very comfortable car. The Smart's not bad either (although perhaps a better city weapon) and the Nissan Figaro is also an entertaining and relatively comfortable drive.
I like the idea of the track testing to show how easy it is for
the car to lose control although I don't know if this would encourage some to
see how close they can get to that limit on the roads?

They do something similar to this at Durham Constabulary in the skid pan, to demonstrate it to soon to be drivers. Pretty useful I thought.

A lot of these 'boy racers' use their cars as tools of the trade, to attract simple females who are impressed by such behaviour. Why not cut to the chase, and legalise brothels in this country? :-p That would surely eliminate some of this hassle :-p
But with the cars you don't need to pay ? :)
--
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
But with the cars you don't need to pay ? :)

Oh you pay alright... just not as directly ;-)
Too many young drivers dying - thomp1983
after reading this lot as a young driver again the blinkered vision of some of the members astounds me. im 23, had 2 accidents, one at 17 when aquaplaning downhill in floods akin to those of last month around oxford area, and the other from a tyre blowout on the m4 when i was 21. my vehicle of choice at the minute is a 1990 e34 bmw 535i sport book figures are 211bhp standard but with the extra work it's got it shows about 250bhp. so am i now to sell my car as i can't possibly appreciate or respect it as im below the golden age of 25?

yes i drive the car hard, but not dangerously, 95% of all dangerous driving i see is from mid 30' presumably company car drivers in the likes of bmw 330's lexus's boxters etc. who will happily over take metres before a bend with little thought of them taking up your braking zone for the bend, why? i suspect because they feel they won't lose anything if they write the car off it's not there's i know my stepdad treats his company car that way although his driving isn't dangerous, i know alot of people who treat there company cars with no respect and flog the life from them as there's no material consequence as life is often treat in a it won't happen to me fashion.

id also like to know how many of the young driver deaths actually occur from the driver being at fault or his reacting poorly to the dangerous actions of another driver such as the situations above, young driver approaching bend, plenty of braking zone, mr experienced overtakes and jumps on brakes right before bend, young driver then ends up braking through the bend which inevitably leads to an accident or near miss. result young driver must have been wreckless as mr experience made it away safely.

yes something has to change but penalising young drivers will change nothing, in fact i suspect driving is the tip of the problems in society at the moment. new legislation won't help as society already ignore the rules, there needs to be a change to introduce rule following and respect into society again. alot of the rules in place i don't agree with but i follow them as thats the way i was raised and my parents were on hand to make sure i knew what was right and wrong when i may have contemplated the wrong choice, that simply doesn't exist enough in todays society and most of the other problems we have breed from this

chris
Nice to see another 23 year old 5 Series driver :) Do you get the 'you've got an old blokes car, why?' questions as well?
no many seem to accept it's a classic example of when bmw were impressiveand comet on a good choice, and anyone who's driven one knows exactly why i bought it

chris
Too many young drivers dying - Screwloose

I just can't figure out how you insure it?

I had an E3 CSL at 23 and that was £862 comp back in the '70s! Fortunately, I can't aquaplane downhill and thus had a full NCD.
I just can't figure out how you insure it?

The same way anyone else insures a car - an annual payment to an insurance company? Mine is fairly reasonable at £1200 comprehensive.
with my 2 years no claims it's £700 tpft, don't see the point in having fully comp on a car thats worth less than a grand when i can do most of my own repairs.

basically unlike what seems a majority of my generation and younger i actually put in long hours at work to pay for me to have what i see as a nice car, only downside with it is it's a bit thirsty but everything has a trade off

chris
Too many young drivers dying - Leif
I agree with the first post. Restrictions are too hard to police. Even a small car can crash, and they are often more dangerous than larger cars due to being less crash worthy.

Drink driving was reduced by education, and I think that in this case education in schools and the media could make it taboo to drive dangerously. Sadly, and in my opinion, the current road safety campaigns are obsessed with a simplistic "speed kills" message, rather than addressing dangerous driving practices. Because the message is crass, the campaigns are discredited. And as said earlier, enforcement by the police to catch the ignorant.

I've come across a few nutters who were emotional head strong types. I suspect peer pressure could be used to rein them in which is where education could work.
"simple females"

A contradiction in terms, I think.. :-)
"simple females"
A contradiction in terms I think.. :-)

Come to Newcastle, i'll point you to plenty :-p
Chris, I fully understand your comments in support of young drivers and of course there is truth in what you say. Some young drivers will have accidents as a result of their inexperience in handing the driving environment of today. This may well include being unable to deal with errors made by another driver, as you say, and an accident has resulted.

The fact that you take part in this website indicates to me that you may well be an enthusiastic or caring motorist and one likely to want to drive well and develop your skills. I suggest, at the risk of being patronising, that makes it somewhat difficult to empathise perhaps with those who do not have the same sense of responsibility as you. There is plenty of evidence to support the high accident rate among young drivers and it is largely of their own doing. There is not the space here to go into that in more detail. Research would provide the evidence.

I could provide you with a long list of cases where young drivers have been prosecuted for death by dangerous driving, compiled during this year alone. Most are now in prison and the rest will be in due course, most probably. The list will continue to grow. Each has killed either their mates or girl friend or an innocent victim through sheer dangerous driving or stupidity such as using mobile phones. Some involved other cars but many did not. These drivers are mostly accepted to have bene decent law abiding young people. They had career or college aspirations and futures that have now been, at best, seriously damaged for life. Every one makes me what to cry. This is a national tragedy and has to be fixed, in my opinion by education and restrictions of some kind or another but more likely to be something other than vehicle size or power in my view. But we never know. I also note your good points about society in general.
I think what me and Chris are getting at is that we enjoy our cars in a way that we wouldn't enjoy a Fiesta 1.1. I couldn't get the pleasure of ownership I get with my 530i Sport with a Fiesta 1.1. I couldnt justify spending hours every week cleaning it - my car is my hobby. It would be simply a tool if I was restricted to a 1 litre engine.

Not purely becuase of the performance, infact, only partially becuase of the performance, but mostly becuase the sorts of cars you can cherish and be thrilled owning are not found with 1 litre engines.

Why should we be unable to enjoy our hobbies becuase of the actions of a reckless minority?
Too many young drivers dying - Kiwi Gary
I am a supporter of the Education route, BUT, the educator has to be someone of standing in the driving community, not just your average driving instructor, otherwise budding drivers will either ignore it, or attend without any intention of changing. We have that problem here in N.Z., where attendance at a defensive driving course [ theory only, no practical as I recalll ] cuts six months off your restricted licence time. We still have the problem of youngsters killing themselves, and the girls are now up with the boys in that regard too.

In the bad old days when I was doing my Engineering studies in England, the drivers from the local constabulary would come to the college each year before the Summer break and over several sessions, give us a thorough defensive driving course including roadcraft and how to make progress without killing yourself. At the end of the course, we could put our names down to go on patrol with them for a couple of hours, which I did, and the driver would demonstrate all the thimgs that had been covered in the course.

I don't know how the Police drivers are viewed in U.K. now, but we paid close attention because, then, Police drivers were acknowledged to be amongst the best trained drivers and we had no hesitation in picking the best available brains.
Too many young drivers dying - Nsar
Offer free insurance to any young driver provided they are prepared to have a six inch spike permanently fitted to their steering wheel and dashboard pointing at their chest.

Sorted
"six inch spike"

Perhaps that should apply to everyone. It would certainly be an aid to concentration.
Offer free insurance to any young driver provided they are prepared to have a six
inch spike permanently fitted to their steering wheel and dashboard pointing at their chest.

And introduce serial digital amputation for driving without insurance. First offence, a fine. Second, a digit (of the culprit's choice). Third, another digit . . .

Yup. Some good ideas on this thread today :-)
Too many young drivers dying - Nsar
Or how about, if you go above the speed limit or a set number of revs Michael Bolton/George Formby comes on the stereo at ear splitting volume.

"the sorts of cars you can cherish and be thrilled owning are not found with 1 litre engines"

That's the effect of affluence. If you had worked your way up* through old bikes and cars and finally saved enough to buy something you really liked, the engine size wouldn't matter. A college friend of mine restored an Austin 7 in his spare time, and I'm sure he loved that as much as you do your BM. I certainly cherished my S800, which I kept for nine years.

*Doesn't apply to me, I should add. My parents bought me a car to keep me away from motorbikes!
That's the effect of affluence. If you had worked your way up* through old bikes
and cars and finally saved enough to buy something you really liked the engine size
wouldn't matter.

Why do you assume I didn't? It's my third car, my first was a £1k Xantia. I bought every one of them myself.
Spot on. People are getting tired of being penalised because of the actions of idiots. Punish the idiots, or, in this case, they punish themselves. Whilst I sympathise with with their families, and I do, it's hard to see a clearer case of cause and effect is it? Drive like a prat, die like a prat. Unfortunately, as covered elsewhere, they take other people with them. It's a shame peer pressure doesn't work for behaving sensibly, but I suppose it never will will it?
My response is to MichaelR by the way!
"penalised because of the actions of idiots"

But that happens in all walks of life. If everyone was sensible and reasonable, there would be far fewer restrictions in life and lawyers, jailers and insurers would have much less to do!
The problem is separating out the idiots. Innit?
My point exactly, and I meant in all walks of life, I didn't make that clear (a bit fuzzy this morning!).

Yo my main man, we is needing an idiot separator, innit? Booyakasha. Apparently.
"This is a national tragedy"

Indeed. Part of the problem is that this sentiment is not expressed enough. We've become inured to road deaths (nearly ten a day in the UK) so they only make the headlines in exceptional circumstances. If the daily papers reserved a space on the front page for a tally of casualties (there are getting on for 100 serious injuries every day, too), it might go a little way to raising public consciousness. You can guarantee publicity if a bus, plane or train kills anyone! Quite right, too, but why not RTA's?
There are very few female drivers charged with dangerous driving, and considerably fewer have points for speeding, so I suspect the attempt to shove blame onto older drivers 'causing youths to crash' is a red herring. There is a link between unchanneled agression and street driving which causes fatal loss of control, and the stats on KSI show which age group and gender is responsible. The only practicable remedy is targeting the groups most likely to kill or be killed. That has been done locally, in Lancashire, and seems to have worked. The youths responsible for lunatic driving (not all are!) are not susceptible to namby-pamby advice, as they see it, and their peers are likely to be malign. More police patrols are required.
'This is a national tragedy'.

No it isn't. It may involve individual tragedies, but that is another matter altogether. Our road casualty figures are not as bad as most. It is over-egging the cake to describe some inevitable accidental attrition in a population of 60-odd million as a 'national tragedy'.
No it isn't.

At least someone's singing from the same hymn-sheet as me. It's an inevitability - yes it's an individual tragedy when someone is killed BY an idiot (e.g. passenger, pedestrian etc etc), but calling the national phenomenon of idiots killing themselves through their own stupidity and incompetence a "tragedy" is a complete nonsense.

In order to remain alive, I drive defensively, won't get in a car with any driver who I feel is incompetent, and don't drive like an idiot myself. So far, after nearly 5 years on the road, this plan appears to be working.
"Our road casualty figures are not as bad as most."

Small comfort to the victims, especially those who were not at the wheel.

I realise that many more people die from disease and domestic accidents, but in general that doesn't involve bystanders.

You're not really saying it's OK here because it's worse elsewhere, are you?
You're not really saying it's OK here because it's worse elsewhere are you?

Of course not. I would love to live in some never-never land where nothing bad ever happened. It's just that there's nowhere like that on this planet, and no hard evidence that such a place can be found anywhere else.

I was complaining about misuse of the word 'tragedy'. Misuse of words may seem small beer compared to oiks driving up trees or running over children and pensioners, but it has its place in the list of national, er, annoyances.
well ive read the new comments and on the whole i agree with them but this shouldn't be jumping on the bandwagon at young drivers but a hardline of enforcement for all drivers regardless of age but it won't happen as the older drivers won't make rules to restrict themselves just the newer generations which is very hypocritical.

alongside that as for research and statistics support this campaigning i don't beleive it probably does, the statistics just seem to moniter what young drivers are doing not the driving population, or they certainly cut the other drivers out of the reports so they are just one dimensional to how badly young drivers are doing.

unfortunately the only solution is to bring back a proper police presence in society but that just won't happen for many different reasons caused by more than just the present ruling government

chris
"just the newer generations"

Who just happen to represent a disproportionate number of the casualties.
Insurance companies may be annoying, but they do understand risk, which is why your insurance premiums are higher than mine. It's not because my driving has improved, it's because I'm older!
If you think the statistics are selectively picking on young drivers, you're wrong. Read this link: tinyurl.com/yuudfl Why would you think they'd do such a thing anyway?
I used the term ?national tragedy? but in respect to young drivers, which is the subject of the thread. I accept that the rest of drivers are doing very nicely thank you, well almost. In fact, ?the rest? make up approx 97% of the driving population. Overall our accident rate, when compared to other countries, may be good/better.

What I am interested in is the remaining 3%, which is the 17 to 20 age group. This tiny group accounts for 33% of all the country?s convictions and imprisonments for Causing Death by Dangerous Driving. This group are killing their mates, girl friends, family and others. Even more of this age group are killing themselves as well. This offence will also have available the class as manslaughter, probably this year, with a 14 year sentence. This compares to today's actual sentences of around 2 -6 years

For example: a lad takes his girl friend Xmas shopping. Nice you might say we all do that. You would think this is a pleasant kind of day out. Oh no! This lad decides to drive for a spell at 70 in a 30/40 limit, something goes wrong he hits the kerb and ends up killing his girlfriend. He is in prison. Something has to be done because I don?t accept that these ?kinds of kids? will always kill and we should let them get on with it.

If this is not a National Tragedy, I don?t know what is. This is why the motoring organizations want desperately to get the government to introduce an extended licensing and training process.
For example: a lad takes his girl friend Xmas shopping. Nice you might say we
all do that. You would think this is a pleasant kind of day out. Oh
no! This lad decides to drive for a spell at 70 in a 30/40 limit
something goes wrong he hits the kerb and ends up killing his girlfriend.

Other than in hypothetical situations for the sake of arguement, where on earth do accidents like that happen on a regular basis? Young guys dont show off to their girlfriends on Xmas shopping trips, it's far more likely to happen in the company of random girls or, more likely, other car loving mates.

My girlfriend goes insane if I even use more than 50% throttle descending a sliproad. Most girls are similar.
My girlfriend goes insane if I even use more than 50% throttle descending a sliproad.
Most girls are similar.

Fire her and get another one.
Too many young drivers dying - madf
It's basically young males drinking and driving I understand, if I read the summary of the various studies correctly. there is a new drink driving campaign aimed at young (under 23) men.

www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/campaigns/drinkdrive/dr...m

The findings were the result of a study by road safety charity Brake and Co-operative Insurance (CIS).

Researchers who quizzed 3,118 teenagers aged 17 and 18 found a third (32%) of those who responded had been a passenger with a driver who was drunk or on drugs.

The study is further evidence that young people continue to gamble with their lives, and those of others, on the roads.

Government figures showed, on average, three teenagers aged 17 or 18 are killed or seriously injured in vehicle crashes in the UK every day.

A Government paper to be published in the next few months is expected to suggest ministers consider an overhaul of driver training in a bid to cut the toll.

Jools Townsend, of Brake, said the charity's Too Young to Die campaign promotes life-saving messages to teenagers.

He called on the Government to take action to tackle crashes involving young drivers.

He said: "Every day young drivers kill and seriously injure themselves and others through a deadly combination of inexperience and taking risks like drink and drug driving.

"We are demanding that the Government moves forward with an overhaul of driver training and testing and introduces graduated driver licensing, which has been highly effective in cutting casualties in other countries.

"We also need compulsory road safety education in schools and much greater investment in traffic policing, to show that driving that threatens lives will not be tolerated."

David Neave, of CIS, said: "Clearly too many young drivers are risking their lives and the lives of others by driving whilst under the influence of drink or drugs.

"More needs to be done to educate young drivers on the horrific consequences this can have on people's lives."

Vice chairman of the Police Federation, Alan Gordon, said: "The Police Federation is deeply concerned by the growing numbers of young drivers who are prepared to drive under the influence of drink and drugs.

madf
If these young guys crashing have so little respect for the law they'll drive drunk what makes you think they'll obey restrictions?
Too many young drivers dying - james86
I'm 21. My car (a company car) is a 56 reg Focus 2.0tdci Titanium - certainly a quick car but not what you'd call "fast". I will do about 30k miles this year, maybe a little bit more. I drive fast cars all the time; I recently had a BMW 335d as a loan car for a week while mine was being repaired, have also had a Z4 3.0, Focus ST, among others.

I've had one non-fault accident where the tyre blew on my then 3 week old Focus while on the motorway and I was unable to keep control of the vehicle, causing some cosmetic damage to my own car but nothing else (fortunately it was at night). No fault accidents. I drive at night (frequently doing a York - London or vice versa route in the early hours of the morning), drive to the pub in the evening (returning sober of course), have a 25 mile commute to work on the motorway each day, carry passengers of all ages from children up to elderly relatives, carry expensive equipment and goods, drive on the continent...in other words do all of the things that all of you do.

It's not fair to tar people like me with the same brush as the 21 year old 'chav' who drives his 1.1 Saxo like it's a racing car. How would you stop that without stopping me?
in response to the statistics posted around young drivers drinking or taking drugs, do you wish to show me the statistics for those over 23? do they collect statistics for the other drivers or just young ones then say were bad when there's no figures to show how good/bad other drivers are. secondly in such a survey would an older driver be honest enough to admit their wrong doing? probably not yet the majority of drink drivers i know are older drivers who have done if for years

chris
I've had one non-fault accident where the tyre blew on my then 3 week old
Focus while on the motorway and I was unable to keep control of the vehicle

Thats a fault accident, that is.
Too many young drivers dying - flunky
>> I've had one non-fault accident where the tyre blew on my then 3 week
old
>> Focus while on the motorway and I was unable to keep control of the
vehicle
Thats a fault accident that is.

I did this too, my tyre blew out, and it was my fault with similar minor damage.

No insurance claim, because insurance TPFT, and car almost worthless.

My fault because:
* going too fast, having left home too late to catch cheap flight overseas without travelling at excessive speed, this would have caused stress to the tyres
* not doing anything about bad tracking of car shredding tyres quickly
* not properly maintaining tyres
* not using high-quality tyres, just the cheapo 30 quid ones

Learnt my lesson though, no point pretending it was anyone else's fault than my own.
I know you might not think it?s fair James, but that is the name of the game. I guess with a company car you do not pay your own insurance. If you did then you would pay the going rate for your age group and your driving record etc. The insurance companies charge that because of the accident rate for the age group. You would escape from it in time by staying accident free and by moving into an older age group with better historical accident rates.

If a graduated scheme was introduced I guess all of the specified age group would be affected. Maybe there would be some kind of fast track routes if you completed certain courses and stayed accident free.

I wouldn?t worry about it though. Whatever comes along will probably be aimed at absolute beginners and the 17+ age group. I?m only guessing though. Just keep safe.
Chris, I?m sure the data is available. I will try and find it. If not someone who knows will no doubt be along soon. None of the figures I have used are for drink driving they are for all accidents.

They include, for example, two teenagers jailed for DBDD in the last few months for using their phone. One girl 19 y/o was texting at 70 mph in the dark and ran into another car, killing a woman. An 18 y/o boy was texting also and hit and killed a milkman. He didn't bother to stop or report it. Both were sentenced to 4 years and 5 years disqualification and consequently did their future no good at all. To be fair, a few adults have done the same.
Too many young drivers dying - Pugugly {P}
Locked now and the discussion carried on in Volume 2. Can be found here:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=55...7