newcars4less - Twiz
Firstly hello to the forum - long time lurker and reader of the discussion posts but somehow have never got round to registering and posting before (I know, I know, shame on me....).

To the point.... I'm in the market for a new model CR-V and the company above have offered by far and away the best price. Now I know we're not allowed to name and shame, and that's not what I'm after. I'd just like some reassurance from anyone that has used the company??? What worries me most is that they ask for the full balance of payment one week before delivery, as opposed to some like drivethedeal who only ask for payment on delivery. Not knowing the company or their backers I'm a little sceptical right now.

Many thanks in advance.
Twiz
newcars4less - MVP
The Law of Business
By John Ruskin
(1819 - 1900)
"There is hardly anything in the world that someone cannot make a little
worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price alone
are that person's lawful prey.
It is unwise to pay too much, but it is also unwise to pay too little.
When you pay too much, you lose a little money, that is all.
When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything because the
thing you bought is incapable of doing the thing you bought it to do.
The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and
getting a lot...
It can't be done.
If you deal with the lowest bidder it is well to add something for the risk
you run.
And if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better."

newcars4less - Twiz
Exactly my thinking MVP although I've never heard it put quite so well, and hence my asking if anyone had dealt sucessfully with that company.

Unless I hear of any positive feedback on them, being so unknown to me I would never risk spending so much money with them - I usually use the principal of "if it sounds too good to be true then it undoubtably is".
newcars4less - adverse camber
Are you to pay them or the supplying dealer?

The only legit reason I can think for requiring early payment is to allow them to take their cut and pay the dealer by the time you get the car.

Obvious question would then be why the dealer couldnt take the payment.

No way would I pay an internet company a large sum in advance of receiving goods. You might ask your credit card company about where you would stand if you used your CC and delivery never happened for any reason
newcars4less - Twiz
Payment is to them - they work a bit different from drive the deal in that they are aparently back by a large leasing company.

Can't use credit card.

Like I said, I will remain very wary unless I hear otherwise. Does make me wonder though when they are so prolific on this site (in terms of deals) but I note that HJ doesn't actually give any recommendation about them - only reports their deals.
newcars4less - NARU
I wouldn't part with my money in that way. What would you do if the car turned up damaged?

There are other brokers who look to be paid before delivery, but most of them offer an option for you to collect the car in person, swapping it for a bank draft - might be worth suggesting that to these people?
newcars4less - NARU
PS. I went to Autotrader and asked for a new price for a CR-V, to compare. Buyacar were quoting £19660 for a CR-V 2.0ES with met paint - in the same ball park as www.buynewcars4less.com? I didn't check the small print to see if the deals were completely identical.

Buyacar say "The final balance (less deposit) is required prior to the agreed delivery date either by CHAPS (same day transfer), internet bank transfer or by cleared cheque. Alternatively you can use an escrow service for added piece of mind or collect the vehicle from our office in London and pay by banker?s draft."
newcars4less - Twiz
Thanks Marlot - I may well run the option of collect in person past them to see what they say. Problems with damage to car / not turning up had also crossed my mind.

DIdn't realise Autotrader covered new cars like that - very useful, although I'm looking at the diesel EX spec and DTD are still the next best price I can find.
newcars4less - NARU
I'm testdriving an EX on Saturday morning, so might be close behind you on the purchase front!
newcars4less - flunky
buynewcars4less.com?

Others are questioning their 'too good to be true' prices

www.moneysupermarket.com/community/forums/t/quotbu...x

Domain has been active since 14 May this year only.

Whois details:

Technical Contact:
Costelloe, Kevin kevin@buynewcars4less.com
By New Cars 4 Less
34 Shurdington Road
Cheltenham, Gloucestershire GL53 0JD
GB
+447725242777

That's a family house.

Website is slightly more convincing though

www.buynewcars4less.com/about-us.html

has a business address
newcars4less - Twiz
Thanks you two.

Think I shall be steering well clear.

Marlot - am sure you'll like the EX - am just annoyed that you have to go top spec to get the leather - I'd be quite happy with the ES spec but with leather seats - I don't really want the built in sat nav, rear parking camera etc etc.
newcars4less - Chris_G
Did you check out www.bobgerard.co.uk ?

I am having a 2.0 ES delivered tomorrow!! ;o)

Cars are imported but are UK spec and still built in Swindon.

Price was fantastic, local dealer said it was close to the 'Honda Employee' rate and couldn't get anywhere near it!

Payment is not made until the car is with you and service has been very friendly and professional.

Cheers
Chris
newcars4less - Chris7
Same here,
I bought my CRV Auto from Bob Gerard about 3-4 years ago, cannot fault them, would buy from them again no problem.
newcars4less - Manatee
Ditto. I've bought three new Hondas from them (Bob Gerard) so far. The local Honda dealer has honoured the warranty (nothing serious) and also done some recall work (modified EGR on a diesel CRV) so no wories on that score. The warranty is 2yrs 60,000 miles, not 90,000 as for UK supplied cars, but is provided by the manufacturer.
newcars4less - Aprilia
IIRC Bob Gerard was for many years the official Honda franchise holder in Leicester. I think there was a 'falling out' some years back and they set up as a parallel importer. They are a long established and high reputable company.

As per the thread on buying a Subaru from AllBrandsNew in Hull, isn't it sickening that we have to jump through these 'import' hoops to get a new car at the 'world' price. All the more remarkable when you think that there are more people taking a 'cut' out of the 'import car' - i.e. the overseas importer, the overseas dealer and the UK import dealer. So three lots of profit being taken and they can still undercut a UK dealer, often by more than 25% !
newcars4less - Bill Payer
All the more remarkable when you think that there are more people taking a 'cut' out of the
'import car'

I'd love to know who makes all the money in the normal car sales supply chain - everyone involved claims there's little money it, which clearly can't be true.
newcars4less - Clk Sec
>>>IIRC Bob Gerard was for many years the official Honda franchise holder in Leicester. I think there was a 'falling out' some years back and they set up as a parallel importer. They are a long established and high reputable company.<<<

Some very good prices quoted for the Accord. Will look at BG in a year or so when I change the Mazda.

You are a mine of information, Aprilia.

Clk Sec
newcars4less - Aprilia
You are a mine of information Aprilia.
Clk Sec

Bob Gerard was actually a well-known racing driver in the 1950's - a bit before my time. I did meet the old boy at Mallory Park circuit in the mid-1980's - he was around 70 years old at the time and lived locally to the circuit IIRC. He died a good few years back. His kids ran the Honda dealership and when Honda pulled the franchise they moved out of Leicester city centre and went independent - keeping Bob's name over the door.
newcars4less - Lud
I wondered if it was him. Drove ERAs among other things I seem to remember. Much respected I think.
newcars4less - Twiz
Thanks for the continued info on this - will check our Bob G when I finally get round to ordering - currently on hold pending other spending from SWMBO......