Vatican's 'driving commandments' - rtj70
You couldn't make this up... could you? (Guidelines for the Pastoral Care of the Road)

Cannot find it on the Vatican website but mentions it in the news sites, e.g. news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6768395.stm

1. You shall not kill.
2. The road shall be for you a means of communion between people and not of mortal harm.
3. Courtesy, uprightness and prudence will help you deal with unforeseen events.
4. Be charitable and help your neighbour in need, especially victims of accidents.
5. Cars shall not be for you an expression of power and domination, and an occasion of sin.
6. Charitably convince the young and not so young not to drive when they are not in a fitting condition to do so.
7. Support the families of accident victims.
8. Bring guilty motorists and their victims together, at the appropriate time, so that they can undergo the liberating experience of forgiveness.
9. On the road, protect the more vulnerable party.
10. Feel responsible toward others.
Pope focuses on motoring - you too? - mike hannon
I've just come across a piece on the Telegraph website about the Vatican announcing the new 'ten commandments of motoring'.
Maybe someone more clever than I could do a link to the story?
'Thou shalt not kill' makes an understandable appearance in the Pope's top ten rules for the road, as well as advice to avoid road rage.
Apparently it's OK to pray while driving as well - and this from a man who never gets driven around by his wife...
Only kidding ;-)
Any views on this long-overdue intervention from On High, or have they forgotten anything?
Pope focuses on motoring - you too? - Sim-O
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007...1
----------------------------------------------
Aim low, expect nothing & dont be disappointed
Pope focuses on motoring - you too? - mike hannon
Bless you for that
Pope focuses on motoring - you too? - borasport20
Here they are -
The "Drivers' Ten Commandments" are:

1. You shall not kill
2. The road shall be for you a means of communion between people and not of mortal harm
3. Courtesy, uprightness and prudence will help you deal with unforeseen events
4. Be charitable and help your neighbour in need, especially victims of accidents
5. Cars shall not be for you an expression of power and domination, and an occasion of sin
6. Charitably convince the young and not so young not to drive when they are not in a fitting condition to do so
7. Support the families of accident victims
8. Bring guilty motorists and their victims together, at the appropriate time, so that they can undergo the liberating experience of forgiveness
9. On the road, protect the more vulnerable party
10. Feel responsible toward others

I can't see anything to argue about ;-)

--
Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Pope focuses on motoring - you too? - bell boy
terry wogan was talking about the right to rome this morning
unfortunately he was unable to get an appointment with his graciousness
Pope focuses on motoring - you too? - Kuang
This is going to cause many Italians a lot of grief. Caught between the church and the road must be one of the worst things to happen to anyone raised within earshot of Maranello...
Pope focuses on motoring - you too? - Pugugly {P}
Post merged with rtj70's - using his as the subject line as it was little clearer. You could almost call it an United Reformed Thread if you wanted ! - PU
Pope focuses on motoring - you too? - rtj70
Sorry to make you merge posts PU. I didn't spot the other thread or would not have posted.

I still think it sounds like an April 1st type new article.
Advanced Drivers always had the 10 commandments. I remember one of them.

1. Drive with deliberation and eliminate uncertainty.

Stick to that one and you can't go far wrong anyway !
Pope focuses on motoring - you too? - PhilW
For goodness sake - have they nothing better to do? Talk about stating the obvious/teaching your grandmother to suck eggs etc.
.*******
(and I was brung up as a Catholic - now very, very lapsed, for a very, very long time)
--
Phil
In fairness Phil its pretty non-dogmatic and if half the motorists on UK road adopted one or two of these it would be a good thing. The Catholic Church is showing a bit of humour here ! PU - lapsed agnostic.
oh I've got a problem with the last part of #5 !
Pope focuses on motoring - you too? - PhilW
The asterisks bit said "they must be taking the mickey" - well nearly.
As usual, they talk in "priest talk", sounds good means nothing. Think about
"1. You shall not kill." How many people actually mean to kill on the road?
2. The road shall be for you a means of communion between people and not of mortal harm." Go on - translate that - what exactly does it mean??
3. Courtesy, uprightness and prudence will help you deal with unforeseen events. Again - what exactly does it mean??
I could go on - it's all priest talk "be at one with Jesus" . I will go on
"4. Be charitable and help your neighbour in need, especially victims of accidents." Heck, what you mean I should not go round to my neighbour and say "Glad to hear you were in an accident, hope it was serious??""
"5. Cars shall not be for you an expression of power and domination, and an occasion of sin." None of that stuff you used to get up to in the back seat and please don't mention it was a BMW you got up to it in?
"6. Charitably convince the young and not so young not to drive when they are not in a fitting condition to do so." Don't drink and drive - wow - never thought of that
7. Support the families of accident victims " as in 4. - we've run out of things to say
8. Bring guilty motorists and their victims together, at the appropriate time, so that they can undergo the liberating experience of forgiveness.
Bull stuff "Sorry I killed your child" "That's OK, I forgive you " Cheers mate , that was liberating"
9. On the road, protect the more vulnerable party.
10. Feel responsible toward others.

Aren't 9 and 10 the same thing?
Priest talk - meaningless mumbo-jumbo

Yes, I am very lapsed! I must have been God's will, so that's OK then

--
Phil
Pope focuses on motoring - you too? - boxsterboy
They could have added;

'Thou shalt only use rubber on thine wheels'
Pope focuses on motoring - you too? - Kuang
I think the catholic church is more in favour of pre-planned defensive driving and practising emergency stops ;)
Pope focuses on motoring - you too? - cheddar
Tenuous link!

A young lad wakes up in the middle of the night only to find that he is standing next to St Peter by the pearly gates, St P explains that he has been called up by mistake, that he will be sent back to his bed without a moment having passed and that by way of making up for the misunderstanding he could have any wish granted.

The young lad thinks for a minute and says that he would like to ride a factory MotoGP Ducati around Mugello, no problem says St P and within minutes the lad is kitted up and off out on the track on a bright red Desmodici, after a few laps he is really getting his head down however a blue Yamaha cuts underneath him at the last corner and dispears up the straight ahead of him, some what perplexed the young lad pulls back into the pits and says to St P, "I did not know that Valentino Rossi was up here", St Peter answers, "that is not Valentino Rossi, that is God, ......... he just thinks he is Valentino Rossi!".

Pope focuses on motoring - you too? - Westpig

very good cheesy.......do you mind if i plagiarise it?

!
Pope focuses on motoring - you too? - ForumNeedsModerating
Very surprised not to see (in no particular order..)

- drive as you would be driven

- thou shalt not covet thy neighbours' car

- the meek will inherit the inside lane

Pope focuses on motoring - you too? - Greg R
And another item on the list: as the government can improve this, they should increase the number of traffic cops on the road. And anyone driving below standard will have their licence removed, be forced to retake their licence at their expense to advanced standard, and their personal car would be sold and the money goes to those involved in accidents.

This would make people think - in an ideal world! In Poland, they are already saying they will sieze cars of anyone under the influence....
Pope focuses on motoring - you too? - gmac
I'm looking forward to all the lists telling the Pope how to run the Catholic church.