l p g conversions - ken smith
has anybody any coments on conversions they have had done , or any questions about l p g. we have been in buisness for 22 yearsand are intersted in peoples views on lpg ,as we only get input from our own customers,and would like to heare other peoples views on there conversions .thanks KEN SMITH .
Re: l p g conversions - Andrew Barnes

My main worry about LPG is that is doesn't contain the additives which modern petrol has, for example detergents etc. Does this mean that an engine running on LPG will have a shorter life?

Thanks

Andrew
www.hispecgolfs.co.uk

>
> has anybody any coments on conversions they have had done ,
> or any questions about l p g. we have been in buisness for 22
> yearsand are intersted in peoples views on lpg ,as we only
> get input from our own customers,and would like to heare
> other peoples views on there conversions .thanks KEN SMITH .
Re: l p g conversions - AndyS
Andrew:

Someone with better knowledge than me will probably clarify this but ... I think the detergent additives in petrol are to clean the cr*p from your engine that the impure petrol leaves behind when it burns. So I imagine that if you use a clean burning fuel like LPG you don't get the deposits and so don't need the detergent additives.

Have you ever used a petrol/paraffin/meths stove to boil a pan or kettle? Compare the soot with the results on a gas stove.

hope this helps

Andy
Re: l p g conversions - John S
Andy

Absolutely right. Far fewer contaminants in gas, so much cleaner burn. Hydrogen/carbon ratio is higher so should be an improvement in CO emisions too.

I've been told that engines running on gas keep the engine oil cleaner, due to reduced contamination from combustion gases.

Regards

john
Re: l p g conversions - Todd
Hi Ken,
My question is what happens in a severe rear end shunt accident if you've got LPG? Also, is lpg odourless? If it is, how can you tell if it's leaking? Is it tested with the MOT test? It seems a bit risky to me, so I got a diesel car. Do you do LPG installations for diesel cars?

Thanks for answering any questions.
Re: l p g conversions - Carl
Interesting.

Eurotunnel will not carry any car using LPG. Does this imply a greater risk?
Re: l p g conversions - Mark
Do they allow trains carrying LPG tankers through the tunnel?

I seem to remember a train moving LPG tanks exploded in mexico a few years ago with an effect akin to that of a small nuclear explosion, I seem to recall it laid waste to a town with large scale casualties.

as ever

Mark
Re: l p g conversions - Honest John
I saw a camper fire at the side of a motorway once. The thing was burning merrily until the gas bottle exploded. Bits of burning camper raining down from the sky. But lpg tanks in cars are much more strictly controlled so it's only in the confinement of the tunnel in intense heat that the lpg container is a problem.

HJ
Re: l p g conversions - Andy S
I hope someone can confirm that they do not. I use the tunnel quite often!

Andy