An alternative Bangernomics car? FX4 - Garethj
I was mulling over the idea of cheap transport recently, preferably something that's got room for a family but only as a second car.

Would a London Taxi fall into this group I wonder? Let's consider the case for a Fairway model with the 2.7 litre diesel engine:

- Parts are cheap
- They're fairly simple
- They should be reliable
- errr, that's it.

Downsides are:

- Motorways will be a test of human endurance at anything over 60mph
- Everyone will wave at you
- It probably won't go south of the river at night

I've ridden in the back of a few and I understand it's basically an Austin Westminster underneath so it won't be the last word in comfort by any means. Do any backroomers have experience of running one?
An alternative Bangernomics car? FX4 - lucklesspedestrian
Apparently Stephen Fry also runs a London taxi as his own main mode of transport.

If you do get one just make sure the doors are locked 'cos he tells the tale of having punters just jump in the back and demand to be taken to Clapham etc!

Sadly I don't think he's a backroomer though!
An alternative Bangernomics car? FX4 - local yokel
The Governor of the Falklands Islands had one - the only vehicle HMG could find that was tough, and could accommodate a man wearing a ceremonial hat.

I've been in one back from London to darkest Oxfordshire with a neighbour cabbie. Horrible over 55 mph, hard as nails suspension and noisy when at speed.

Buy a 405 TD instead.
An alternative Bangernomics car? FX4 - Lud
I've driven quite a few FX3 and early FX4 cabs. FX3 was worst but all, without exception, were slow, noisy and tiring to drive, with ghastly mechanical drum brakes. However they were roomy and had a good steering lock. As others have pointed out, would-be punters tend to jump into them at traffic lights and can be surprisingly reluctant to get out again.

Of course the ones cabbies drive today have power steering and front hydraulic disc brakes and are much faster. But when I was toying with the idea of getting one as a runabout I decided it would only be bearable with a Rover V8 transplant, which would make the whole project uneconomic.
An alternative Bangernomics car? FX4 - Garethj
with ghastly mechanical drum brakes.

I'm sure all FX4s are on hydraulic brakes by now?! I believe there are front discs partway through the 'Fairway' model. To be honest, there's nothing older than a Fairway still out there now so Austin or Land Rover engined versions aren't viable.
I decided it would only be bearable with a Rover V8 transplant which would make the whole project uneconomic.

A Chevy V8 conversion has been done, but with the rest of the chassis dynamics I'm not sure that more than 70mph is a good idea?
An alternative Bangernomics car? FX4 - Micky
">Rover V8 transplant,<"

Mid-engined, Lud?
An alternative Bangernomics car? FX4 - LHM
I'd have to say that an FX4 wouldn't be my number 1 choice :-( Bangernomics doesn't have to be about sackcloths and ashes - my current 'experiment' is a W124 Benz 280E and it's quite nice, really....