Peugeout 106 1.5 XL Diesel 1998 - joey0027
Hi Guys

This is my first post having just purchased a 1.5 XL diesel for my Daughter.

I have tonight noticed a couple of problems & I would be very grateful for any advice that you can offer.

First, I noticed that the thermostat housing has a slight leak. It would appear that there is a crack or split in the cast. Is this a common fault & are replacement casings readily available?

Secondly, whilst the engine was running, I noticed diesel leaking from the injectors on cylinders 1 & 2, also possible traces on the other two. The diesel leak is worst on cylinder one and is leaking from the join between the injector & the head and also at the next joint up. The feed nipple joints from the injectors to the pump are all fine though. There also seems to be a leak from the return hose even though it is securly fitted with no splits.

I have removed the feed lines for all cylinders & the glow plugs to gain better access, I am however at a loss with their removel/repair.

What is the best way to remove & split the injectors as there just isn't the room for a spanner. I presume the top of the injector has to be removed first to make room for a 22mm socket? I see the top has two flat edges but again there just isn't the room to position a 17mm spanner.

Are the any seals involved here or do the injectors just screw in?

This is my first diesel car, and I am the first to admit I know very little about them!

Many thanks for your help.
Peugeout 106 1.5 XL Diesel 1998 - 659FBE
The thermostat housing is plastic and prone to failure. Replace using a new sealing ring and use PSA antifreeze at 50% strength with distilled or rain water.

If the engine is running normally there is no leak on the high pressure side of the injectors. Do not remove the injectors or disturb the high pressure pipes without very good reason. By far the most common cause of fuel leaks in this area is due to failure of the rubber leakoff pipes which link the injectors and return surplus fuel to the tank. Check also the rubber tit on No 4 injector (timing belt end). Any leaks here will result in fuel accumulating at the injector/cyl head interface.

Don't dismantle an injector on the engine and if you must take it out, make sure you have the correct holding fixture before splitting the nozzle from its holder. Don't put it in a vice.

The Bosch system on this engine is very reliable and if it is undisturbed and has had good maintenance it will outlast the engine.