4th Quarter 2006 Road Accident Stats - rogue-trooper
would be interesting to know geographically where the increase in cyclist fatalities occured. Just wondering whether it is tied to, in particular, increased cycling in London due to Congestion Charging.
4th Quarter 2006 Road Accident Stats - LHM
That's 700,000 (give or take a few thousand) killed or seriously injured since 1991.

A sobering thought.
4th Quarter 2006 Road Accident Stats - boxsterboy
Ever more 'safety' cameras, never fewer deaths.

Go figure!
4th Quarter 2006 Road Accident Stats - stevied
Try telling that to Richard Brunstrom the king of spin, the sultan of swing.....
4th Quarter 2006 Road Accident Stats - mrmender
Try telling that to Richard Brunstrom the king of spin the sultan of swing.....

I think his days maybe numbered if the BBC Wales web site is to belived.... Mind you he's pretty teflonish is this respect
4th Quarter 2006 Road Accident Stats - Dalglish
>>Road deaths have barely fallen over the past decade.

it would make more sense if the figures were presented in a comparive method, for example something like deaths per km travelled, and also related to the average number of cars per km road space.
Brake is also alarmed that cyclist deaths have increased again. Cyclist death rates have
increased every year for three years running. Altogether, the number of cyclists killed has
risen by 32% since 2003."

brake must have access to more details than i can find from the report.

looking at the detailed pdf report,
www.dft.gov.uk/162259/162469/221412/221549/231414/...f
or the excel file
www.dft.gov.uk/172974/173025/221412/221549/231374/...s

from chart b, and tables 6, 7, 8, i cannot see how brake comes to its conclusions. (i cannot see a figure for cycling deaths on their own as opposed to ksi "killed or seriously injured" - the latter figures seem to show reduction in ksi )

if someone can spot where i am going wrong, please feel free to point me to teh correct table of stats. thanks.
4th Quarter 2006 Road Accident Stats - cheddar
Reckon it is because traffic density is as more of a causal factor in accident rates than speed, so average speeds are lowered by lower limits and speed enforcement which added to the growth in vehicle numbers means congestion is on the increase at a greater rate than speed is falling.

What is needed is joined up thinking targetting congestion part of which must be to raise average speeds. After all if average speeds were raised by 10% congestion would drop by 10%.........

.............. and this does not even need limits to be raised because the average speed on most roads is well below the posted limit.