Fuel payment scam affects thousands - Nsar
Check your credit card statements for dodgy transactions if you've bought fuel in a large number of locations mentioned here.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6578595.stm
Fuel payment scam affects thousands - Pica
I've been done a few times. Now I will only use CASH for petrol
Fuel payment scam affects thousands - corblimeyguvnar
Probably wise to use cash always,not always convenient though, but there are areas where I will only use cash when I am dealing with certain members of the filling station staff.
--
Drink Lager, Talk Piffle,
Fuel payment scam affects thousands - BobbyG
For once, a benefit from always filling up with supermarket fuel rather than franchise operations!
Fuel payment scam affects thousands - David Horn
Oh, damn. I've filled up in Leeds at both BP and Shell franchise garages using several cards. This means I have to look at my bank statements, a task I detest doing. In particular, there's a Texaco franchise garage in Rochdale that insists you leave a credit card or cash with them before you fill up at night.

I'm probably not welcome in the Shell garage in Leeds after I gave the cashier a lecture in customer service when she completely ignored me apart from pushing buttons on the till and pointing at the chip and pin machine.
Fuel payment scam affects thousands - rustbucket
Apperently these garages have changed the way they are run and a large number of franchises have been bought on behalf of terrorists (tammel tigers) the proceeds of your fraudulently used credit cards are the funds for these (deleted). The scam has been going on for over a yesr,I INITIALLY BROUGHT IT TO THE MEDIAS ATTENTION AS THE BANKS / CREDIT CARD COMMPANIES WERE TRYING TO HUSH IT UP.Untill the chip and pin fiasco is sorted we are all at risk.
--
rustbucket (the original)
Fuel payment scam affects thousands - Dalglish
Apperently these garages have changed the way they are run and a large number of franchises have been
bought on behalf of terrorists ..

coincidentally, just as i said in rustbucket's thread from exactly one year ago here:
credit card chip and pin scam - rustbucket Sat 22 Apr 06 20:50
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=40926&...f

credit card scam - Guildford - Dalglish Mon 24 Apr 06 09:14
here is another article www.sinhaya.com/march_speech.html which gives further details:
....Senior police officers from the special branch and new Scotland yard ..... have claimed that these ***** ****** terrorists are engaged in fraudulent business practices spanning from corner shop empires to petrol stations. They estimate that more than 70% of the petrol stations in the greater London area are operated directly or indirectly by the ..... "

Fuel payment scam affects thousands - Theunisse
Using cash definitely keeps you safe, but do these scams rely on using a camera to capture your pin as well? We should always shield the machine when typing in our pin numbers even if there are no people around - hidden cameras can be tiny.

www.liveleak.com/view?i=36a_1176267145

The link above demonstrates how it's done with cash cards.
Be very wary of wireless credit card readers as the details can be intercepted,also credit card readers can be modified to contain a data logger,and I once caught a waiter in a hotel using his own card reader in place of the official hotel resturant one. AS I HAVE SAID BEFORE THE CHIP AND PIN IS A JOKE UNTIL IT IS SORTED YOU ARE AT RISK.
--
Fuel payment scam affects thousands - Hamsafar
Using cash is OK until you fill up with Tesco's fuel with added silicone or such like!
I use my car because I may have to prove where I bought fuel.
It's a minefield! The garage I used would ask you to type your pin and it wouldn't work, then the tamil tiger would tell you he has to swipe it and he would hold out his hand to do this and get you to sign a receipt.
I think the best thing to do is refuse to allow swiping of card, or if they do, make a note of the garage and who was serving. Next when you type your pin, have fingers restingon several buttons at once rather than prodding each one individually, and try to do it fast enough so that it would be a blur on a camera, also, you can insert extra numbers and press CLEAR (yellow button)

So if your pin is 1234 you can press 4clear1238clear4
>>Next when you type your pin, have fingers restingon several buttons at once rather than prodding each one individually, and try to do it fast enough so that it >>would be a blur on a camera, also, you can insert extra numbers and press CLEAR (yellow button)
Unfortunately some of the garage scams use data loggers which means that every digit is recorded, the correct set of digits is also tied in with the card.This is part of the problem with chip and pin its not at all secure.
For the many that do not know what a data logger is it is basically a memory device usually a chip ( integrated circuit) that records all key presses and the entire card details. Very difficult to spot a tampered card reader as the logger is inside the body of the card reader. Later the card reader is swapped out and the entire contents of the memory is downloaded to a lap-top or pc where it is cloned to a second card. This as you can appreciate is difficult to prove after the event. This can be avoided if the system was not as basic as it is in this country. Why-because the banks / credit card companies implemented a cheap system to pass the responsibility on to you the customer, and not to stop fraud.
--
I had my card details stolen in aThai restaurant and the waitress used a wireless reader and the card did not leave my sight at anytime but I still got done for £4400 on a gibralter gambling website.

Chip and Pin has so many security flaws it should be closed down until they can ensure proper security
Fuel payment scam affects thousands - zm
I had my card details stolen in aThai restaurant and the
waitress used a wireless reader and the card did not leave
my sight at anytime but I still got done for £4400
on a gibralter gambling website.
Chip and Pin has so many security flaws it should be
closed down until they can ensure proper security

£4400! Blimey! Did you manage to get the card providers to pay it back?
All paid back within 5 days thanks to HSBC - what a relief
(Quoted rustbucket. Would backroomers please stop wasting space by quoting entire postings.)

>>
It has been well-known for ages that this seems to be an 'asian crime', but is not PC for the media etc to say this; I'm glad it is being said in the BR.
Fuel payment scam affects thousands - Micky
"> 'asian crime',<"

Really? So are you saying it's a crime that's only committed by Asians? Do you have any proof?
Yes it seems that way mickey. But not from India where I am from :p
Mostly Pakistani, Bangladeshi & Ceylon.
Ceylon? Where's that then?
"> 'asian crime' <"
Really? So are you saying it's a crime that's only committed
by Asians? Do you have any proof?

Of course it is not only committed by asians, but it is funny how it almost always seems to be asians who get caught! A few years ago, it was al-qaeda being funded through this type of activity. Lets not be naive about this, it is not too clever to use cards in many of our inner city petrol stations as one poster has already said.
"> but it is funny how it almost always seems to be asians who get caught! <"

Perhaps they're not very good at it.

">A few years ago, it was al-qaeda being funded through this type of activity. <"

Really? Any proof? Or have you been reading the red tops again? In some ways, it's good that chip and pin is being discredited, makes it much easier to demonstrate that the system is vulnerable. There is no such thing as a completely secure means to transfer electronic data. Everything is hackable.
Fuel payment scam affects thousands - henry k
In the Shell St Georges fuel station at Weybridge Surrey.....

Just got a call ( Sun afternoon) from a high street bank re daughters account ( assume re debit card)
" Is she abroad ?" Answer is No. "We need to speak to her"
I did call back to confirm it was a call from a genuine source
I am assuming it is the usual scam and it would have occured in the Kingston / Esher, Surrey area.

It will be interesting to find out the likely source of this.

I have never used a debit card for purchases. At least with a CC you are not paying out your own money.
It has been well-known for ages that this seems to be an 'asian crime', but is not PC for the media etc to say
this; I'm glad it is being said in the BR.

1. not true to geralise it and call it an "asian crime". you might as well generalise and call it a "human crime". it is in fact concentrated in a very specific part of the world; namely, it alleged to be linked to a particular community in sri-lanka (formerly known as ceylon), and that community is the "tamil" tribe who are alleged to be funding the "terrorist tamil tigers".
2. not true to claim that the media is not saying this. the bbc said so last year.
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=40926&...e
3. not true to claim that the media is not saying this. the bbc said so again yesterday. and so did other news media.
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6578595.stm
I must admit I cannot remember being served in a petrol station by a non Asian person for ages
Fuel payment scam affects thousands - BobbyG
I cannot remember the last time I was served by an Asian in a petrol station.
I live in Lanarkshire and work in Glasgow.
Suppose it depends on where you live/work.
.. Suppose it depends on where you live/work.

yes, as the article here says

www.sinhaya.com/march_speech.html
most of these people are in the south east of england. unfortunately, allegedly most of these workers are forced to carry out the crime with threats against them and/or their family :
... Some forged British visas to enter the country while others paid money to human traffickers and entered this country illegally, often hidden in container lorries as they made their way to England. .. ...It is London that is the epicentre of their international network and it is from here they conduct their campaigns of extortion. They forcibly get people to give money to their cause often intimidating and threatening them. With the money they collect ... ..... ..... in fraudulent business practices spanning from corner shop empires to petrol stations. ....
">A few years ago it was al-qaeda being funded through this
type of activity. <"
Really? Any proof? Or have you been reading the red tops
again? In some ways it's good that chip and pin is
being discredited makes it much easier to demonstrate that the system
is vulnerable. There is no such thing as a completely secure
means to transfer electronic data. Everything is hackable.

What do you mean 'again'? How would you know what papers I read! (I read the the telegraph on Saturday's and the Times on Sunday, and nothing in the week!). I don't read the tabloids. Of course I have'nt got any proof myself, but not everything in the press can be totally discredited; there has been a fair amount of decent quality investigative journalism on this topic, with articles in both titles.

And digressing a bit; as you mentioned about chip & pin and everything being hackable, have any you received ebay invoices for items that you have never purchased from ebayers you have never dealt with? It has happened several times in the last month, with the invoices being addressed to my account, but nothing appearing on 'my ebay'.
Fuel payment scam affects thousands - CGNorwich
"Now I will only use CASH for petrol"

Cash of course carries its own risks . If its lost or stolen you hve no recourse and if you get it from an ATM you face the same potential problem as using it for purchase, I have been victim of cloned card albeit in Hungary rather than UK. Clone card was use in computer shop in Italy . Bank was very good however and provide immediate free overdraft whilst investigating theft and full credit was made to my account within 5 days. Have met numerous people who have suffered similar theft and all have recoverd loss in full from their banks so whilst am now extremely careful in not letting card out of my sight and shielding pin number when entering still would still favour using car rather than carrying bundles of cash around.

Has anyone not been able to recover from their bank?
I think the problem for me is all the form filling when it goes wrong. Mind you I do not do too many miles these days so it's not a lot of cash to carry
I have had a problem at a garage when paying by cash, they charged me too much, and it was a surprise and when I got back to the pump I found I was right. This was because the person before paid for mine. I went back in and it took 30 minutes of arguments to the thick staff to return my money, the things they said were unbelievable. Nowadays unsuitable people can get a job dealing with customers, these are the people who would once have worked in factories which are all now in China etc...
Fuel payment scam affects thousands - mal
>>>>>>>>>>Nowadays unsuitable people can get a job dealing with customers, these are the people who would once have worked in factories which are all now in China etc...<<<<<<<<< EH !!!

That is a bit offensive to anyone that works or worked in a factory do you not think!!!!!.
Fuel payment scam affects thousands - Cliff Pope
>>>>>>>>>>Nowadays unsuitable people can get a job dealing with customers these
are the people who would once have worked in factories which
are all now in China etc...<<<<<<<<< EH !!!
That is a bit offensive to anyone that works or worked
in a factory do you not think!!!!!.

I think he is saying that people working in factories do not generally need the same level of customer relation skills as those serving in shops.
">need the same level of customer relation skills as those serving in shops.<"

People serving in UK shops have customer relation skills? When did that start then?
Nowadays unsuitable people can get a job dealing
with customers these are the people who would once have worked
in factories which are all now in China etc...

Very true IMO; now that we have a 'service economy'. And when we have a strong economy, as we supposedly have now, with low unemployment, more 'unsuitable' people are in jobs which they are not really up to do performing. Though to be fair when so many of these jobs pay so little, what do we expect..........

i am a clairvoyant - i can see dynamic dave jumping in as he did here:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=40926&...e
Fuel payment scam affects thousands - Pugugly {P}
Ironically as reported in the press today, the Tamil Tigers have taken to the air and bombes a Shell Fuel Depot......
">took 30 minutes of arguments to the thick staff to return my money,<"

OTOH, perhaps they weren't thick, they just didn't want to give you your money back.
Ironic that Shell have banned the sales of a newspaper because they are running a name and shame on chip n pin fraud because its imbarrasing to its staff.

www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/campaigns/2007/05may/07...l
--
Fuel payment scam affects thousands - ablandy
we use fuel cards at work - they can only be used for buying fuel and oil. No CnP, just a swipe. Cant be used for anything else, so im happy all transactions are secure. Get a weekly statement as well.

As far as i know, only for companies though (although i only have 3 cards)

If unsure about wireless terminals, flip them over and check the warranty seals - if they are broken, suggest you dont use them. We have some dealings with these things and if one goes faulty, it goes back to the manufacturer.