Dead Golf - Pete
Some advice, please?

SWMBO's VW Golf (1986, 1300C Mk2 petrol, 100,000 miles) has lain on our drive since the head gasket went a year ago. We've owned it since new, no rust (no surprise with a VW), but it's not the most desirable of Golf variants. As they are supposed to be ideal bangers to run, do you think it would be worth something to somebody, or is it just a scrapper? Oh, and it has nearly new (good make) exhaust, oil pump, etc...
Re: Dead Golf - Guy Lacey aka Golf Geek
A couple hundred quid max. to an entuhusiastic and mechanically minded youth struggling to get insuarance on anything remotely powerful.
Re: Dead Golf - David W
Guy has quite fairly given you the top end...here is the other.

There are cars like that offered for nothing amongst my contacts most weeks. For example there is a perfect MOT'd, tidy, in daily use J-reg Metro locally with a blown head gasket. Likely to be free to the first chap who calls with a towrope/trailer.

I'm already thinking about all the bits on the Golf seized from standing.

Having said that such a Golf could be surprisingly good with the jobs done. Know any youngster who might like it as a "teach yourself DIY" for their first car?

David
Re: Dead Golf - Keith
I had a mark 1 Golf as my first car. I learned all about them and how to fix them etc.

If it truly has no rust, (and has never been accident repaired, bumped or stolen?) Then surely it is well worth repairing?

As for the Metro Guy mentioned, I think you would have to pay someone to take away one of those hateful deathtraps. They cant be compared to a Golf.
Re: Dead Golf - David W
Keith,

I mentioned the Metro as an example of a smart 1991 car in daily use with a long MOT that would be given away because of a single main fault.

Many folks in this price/age range have little interest in the detail (as we do) and tidy MOTd car is a tidy MOTd car to them.

From the crashes we've had in our locality recently Metro or Golf and you're dead.

David
Re: Dead Golf - Keith
David W,

Sorry, I was a bit abrupt. Its just that I hate Metros soooo much!

I suppose people are all different, and If Pete can wait long enough then someone will want his car eventually and be prepared to pay. Perhaps £100?

In a relatively slower crash you would lose your knees in the Metro (ouch) whearas your odds in the Golf must be a lot better.
Re: Dead Golf - Pete
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. They're certainly solid cars and ideal for a new driver who doesn't have too strong boy racer aspirations. Having said
that this one did have oil pressure problems, something like hylomar had
got into the oilways. Dodgy servicing- not by me I might add.
Re: Dead Golf - Phil
I don't think it has any monetary value, but I think if you put an ad in Loot saying it was free to takers, someone would have it. Definately better than scrapping it.
Re: Dead Golf - Miller
Try advertising in ebay, you won't believe some of the crap that is for sale there!