How many laws broken here? - Mapmaker
Driving across Dartmoor last Saturday, along a long straight stretch by a pub, suddenly two horses appeared in the road. Getting closer, they were clearly wearing a strange garb. They were waving pistols and wearing face masks. And were accompanied by a couple of labourers who strayed into the road, holding spades in a threatening fashion, plus open buckets. They all sported red noses, clearly they were collecting money and slowed cars to a walking pace.

I wondered how many laws were being broken here, firearms laws? charity laws regarding collection of money? may you obstruct the Queen's Highway in this fashion? Highway robbery?

I strongly object to the suggestion that because it's 'for charity' that it is suddenly acceptable to behave in this fashion. When I have been involved in charity flag days, the list of laws that has to be followed (collecting in sealed boxes, not approaching members of the public) is long. Suddenly 'red nose day' makes it all OK.
How many laws broken here? - Pugugly {P}
....and what check is there on where the money goes.......?
How many laws broken here? - Mapmaker

That, of course, is why I drove on straight past. To a tirade of abuse from the passenger seat... I have always wondered what proportion of money allegedly collected for comic relief goes astray. Encouraging members of the public to 'do their own thing' merely encourages fingers being dipped in the till.
How many laws broken here? - Lud

You could ask the same question about any charity that collects donations from the public. Indeed the organisations that collect for charities in the orderly manner so highly praised by the OP and others here seem sometimes to do very well out of it, even a bit too well on occasion.
How many laws broken here? - Roly93

Exactly, there aren't many checks on where and how wisely our taxes are spent so there is less chance of some charities being above board !
How many laws broken here? - FotheringtonThomas
>> ....and what check is there on where the money goes.......?
>>
Exactly, there aren't many checks on where and how wisely our
taxes are spent so there is less chance of some charities
being above board !

Charities, in fact, have to give extremely accurate accounts of where the money goes. If they aren't "above board",
the organisation's charitable status will be revoked.
If they aren't "above board",
the organisation's charitable status will be revoked.

The trouble is, it's quite above board to pay a bit too much to professionals to do the collecting for you.
If they aren't "above board",
>> the organisation's charitable status will be revoked.
The trouble is, it's quite above board to pay a bit
too much to professionals to do the collecting for you.

I absolutely agree. ISTR that in the accounts the net amount actually generated by the charity is stated (together
with the gross contributions) is stated. Some are far, far better at putting the money where iit is supposed to be.

www.charityfacts.org/charity_facts/charity_costs/i...l

may give some information on this matter. I'd far rather give to a charity which spends on whatever it's supposed
to be helping. I am sure there's a lot or wrong info. thats 'known as right".
Driving across Dartmoor last Saturday, along a long straight stretch by
a pub, suddenly two horses appeared in the road. Getting
closer, they were clearly wearing a strange garb. They were
waving pistols and wearing face masks. And were accompanied by
a couple of labourers who strayed into the road, holding spades
in a threatening fashion, plus open buckets. They all sported
red noses, clearly they were collecting money and slowed cars to
a walking pace.
I wondered how many laws were being broken here, firearms laws?
charity laws regarding collection of money? may you obstruct the Queen's
Highway in this fashion? Highway robbery?

You were able to pass, you didn't pay anything either. As long as you didn't cause alarm or threaten anyone, it's quite possible that no laws were broken!
How many laws broken here? - ForumNeedsModerating
Just to clear up any confusion here - red nose day is about making the indulgews feel worthy - 'charity' for the most part is purely co-incidental.

How many laws broken here? - Cliff Pope
In this day, waving a pistol in public, real or imitation, would be the most serious offence.

Would-be car jackers take note: wear a red nose and people will even stop and wind their windows down for you.
Just to clear up any confusion here - red
nose day is about making the indulgews feel worthy -
'charity' for the most part is purely co-incidental.

Indulgews?
How many laws broken here? - piggy
Just to clear up any confusion here - red
nose day is about making the indulgews feel worthy -
'charity' for the most part is purely co-incidental.

Not to mention the fact that we have to put up with an endless parade of fifth rate or below "entertainers" on our usualy second rate television programmes.
How many laws broken here? - drbe
>> , suddenly two horses appeared in the road. Getting
closer, they were clearly wearing a strange garb. They were
waving pistols and wearing face masks. >>

I would quickly sign up those horses and get them into a circus act.

What talent, what skill, what dexterity!

I mean, come on, how on earth do horses hold a pistol in their hooves?
How many laws broken here? - barney100
I think the situation is quite clear. The chaps with the spades were waiting for the horses to drop manure so they could sell it to you to fertilise the roses.........the green party would be ecstatic.
If I could go into Mr Pompous mode for a moment (that's not difficult), I give to charities of my choice, at a time of my choice and an amount of my choice.

I do not (normally) give to collectors in the street, or in pubs.

And I Gift Aid all my donations.
How many laws broken here? - GroovyMucker
At least they weren't in drag, which seems to happen a lot around here.

I'm with Mr Pompous.
How many laws broken here? - Screwloose

You should have reached behind the seat for the pump-action; blown them all away and claimed self-defence.

Round here, we shoot first and leave the questions to the coroner.
Having recognised a number of my clients dressed up this last RND and knowing where their social and ethical standards lie, guess where my my money doesn't go.
guess
where my my money doesn't go.

I know how you feel PU.

I start stammering when I talk about m m money too!
hhhhhh ha hhhh ha !