A lead balloon - Andy
The BBC site is carrying a 'speak your mind' thingy on road tolls. The idea seems to be going down very well. NOT.

news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/talking_point/newsid_192...m

Andy.
Re: A lead balloon - Tom Shaw
As we already pay 80% tax on the fuel we buy, plus VED, tax on insurance and all the other motoring penalty charges in addition to subsidising the public transport system few of us use, I should think any more government robbery will be met with stiff resistance.

I shall be brimming both cars and the bike on monday night in anticipation a possible fuel protest after Tuesday's budget, should Gordon decide to chance his arm again.
Re: A lead balloon - T.G.Webb
Re: fuel tax, how come the duty is changed at midnight following the Chancellor's speech? I was under the impression that Parliament was there to approve or (possibly) disapprove taxes (remember "no taxation without representation"), the MPs having seen to it that each are now jolly well paid to attend to these chores.

The intellectual equipment of Chancellors and their political advisors has to be questioned when you remember that Chancellors of both governments subscribed to the 10% escalator tax until it ceased to be politically acceptable - had they no conception of the resulting exponential rise? You know, like population.
Re: A lead balloon - Tomo
We now live in an elective dictatorship, particularly when the left is in power.

That means, they consider they have a mandate from those who voted for them to do to such persons whatever may be, at the moment, in Islington, considered to be good for such (misguided) persons.

For the rest of us, anything that we do not like - as I was once informed unmistakably clearly, in manuscript, by "my" MP - is good policy.

Come back Tamburlaine (anyone more recent will get me in trouble) all is forgiven.

Were I a believer, I'd say Gawdelpus!

Tomo
Re: A lead balloon - mybrainhurts
Tom Shaw...........listen, young man.

Stop showing Gordon Brown in a light better than he deserves. Yes, 80% of the price we pay at the pump is tax, but the tax RATE charged on petrol is 233% of its selling price, just as VAT is charged at the rate of 17.5% of the selling price of most other things.

ALWAYS quote this figure in future, or I'll bite your ankles.
Re: A lead balloon - Alwyn
MBH ,

You *are* up late.

Don't forget that the VAT is also applied on the duty, which as you know, means we are paying tax on a tax.

Remember when we were told that VAT was going up by 2.5%?

An increase from 15% VAT to 17.5% is actually a rise of 16.666%

Aren't numbers fun?