Paint scratches - Alwyn
Cleaning my wife's Mondeo yesterday (with her help!) revealed several scratches to the paintwork. Is there a reason why makers use a white undercoat which reveals every mark? The pearlescent petrol blue paint is nice in the sunshine but those marks show through.

Is it deliberate so that we get out the touch up brush before it rusts or are they just being daft?

The bonnet had a few new stone ships too. Flying along the A55 every day won't help, as the road is heavily used by quarry lorries travelling unsheeted with stones aboard.

I have found the neatest way to touch up stone chips is to use the end of a cocktail stick dipped in paint rather then the brush which puts too much paint down.
Re: Paint scratches - RickyBoy
People in Wales can afford cocktails?

Top Tip nevertheless...
Re: Paint scratches - Alwyn
Ricky,

Not cocktails, just the sticks.
Re: Paint scratches - Paul
Halfords sell touch-up paint kits where the paint comes with a brush and a nib bit which is perfect for little chips. However, it also comes with a special fibreglass sanding tool which I found to be no where near as good as a bit of wet'n'dry.

or you could just use a cocktail stick.
Re: Paint scratches - john
Alwyn
If the stone is flying off the lorries it is an upsafe load. Surely a letter to the companies suggesting they sheet them up may bring a result. I telephoned a local haulage company when one of their lorries passed and stones cracked my screen. They paid up, no questions asked and asked me not to take it further.
Re: Paint scratches - Alwyn
John,

Yes, I have the honour to be on the local Quarry Liaison Committee and this often comes up.

The drivers are instructed to sheet any load with stones smaller than 3 inches but some of them are in such a hurry, ( bonus schemes) they sheet the side the weigh-bridge chap can see but leave the other open.

Veritable tinkers.
Unsafe Wagons... - Rob Govier
The classic is the tipper wagon with a brick stuck between it's rearmost twin tyres.

Spins and spins until tosses brick towards you. Yikes.

A55 also bad for flinty stones which can puncture radiators very easily.

Rob
Re: Paint scratches - Ian Cook
Alwyn wrote:
>
> Cleaning my wife's Mondeo yesterday (with her help!) revealed several scratches to the paintwork. Is there a reason why makers use a white undercoat which reveals every mark?

I think this is caused by the environmentally friendly paints that manufacturers are compeled to use these days - they are water based, apparently, and have this strange whitish undercoat/primer.

The problem looks worse on a black car, mind.

Ian
Re: Paint scratches - Donkey Hoatey
State Blue (Ford) seems to be a problem, the undercoat is certainly white or grey. Had the same problem when I had a Mondeo

MB seem to use a white undercoat for black cars as well. My wife's C class looked a real mess after 3 years.