Xantia tyres - Tone
Forgive me if this is an old chestnut--I have looked--honest.
Is it still the case (was it ever the case ) that Xantias prefer Michelins.
Does anyone have good experience of other brands ?
My rears need replacing after 60000 miles `cos there are bits of cotton thread stuff flapping around.
No no sorry got carried away there.
T I A
Tone
Re: Xantia tyres - David W
Tone,

I posted this a while ago...

>Author: David W (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
>Date: 14-02-02 23:04

>Both on our Xantia and my Cousin's we've found the latest Michelins have seemed more noisy and given a harder ride than the earlier Michelins they replaced.

We both still feel this is true and, despite going to some trouble to keep 100% Michelin so far, I intend to try some Firestones next time.

I have heard the Continental Eco-Contact is a good all rounder that may well suit the Xantia.

What size does yours take?

David
Re: Xantia tyres - Digikid
Fitted a pair of Continental Eco tyres to the front of my 93 TurboD Xantia a few years ago (96 or 97) to replace the Michelin MXV3As fitted as standard.

I must say that I was disappointed with the level of cornering grip, in fact the car had a severe understeer characteristic with these tyres fitted. Dont know how long they lasted, the car was traded before they wore out. (for another Xantia of course!)

I have stayed with Michelins ever since.
Re: Xantia tyres - RogerL
I have Michelin Energy XH1 195/60 HR 15 on my Astra which are rubbish, very noisy and poor wear, but my mate has exactly the same tyres on his Picasso which are quiet and lasting very well. It seems that its not as simple as selecting a good tyre, we have to select the tyre that suits a particular car best. Neither car nor tyre manufacturers will give this level of information so its a matter of pot luck. For the record, I now have Goodyear NCT5 on my Astra which are much quieter.
Re: Xantia tyres - Andy Bairsto
The driver often has something to do with the rate of tyre me thinks.The new Michelins are slightly louder due to a compound change to improve handling and wear
Re: Xantia tyres - Cyclone Cyd
According to one of the major manufacturers websites the stability of a front drive car in difficult conditions is entirely dependant on the rear tyres! So better get good tyres for the rear of your Xantia.
Goodyear Eagle Venturas recently came out best for wet grip and braking in an Auto Express tyre test (Uniroyal 540 won overall because of their exceptionally low rolling resistance). My brother has recently fitted a set of four Venturas to his Honda Accord and reports that they are very good.
I have a Rover 800 Vitesse Sport (the 200bhp version), a car in desperate need of plenty of grip in the wet.I have recently fitted a set of four Goodyear Eagle F1. I can report that these tyres are SUPERB. Levels of grip in the wet are very high and when I tested out the ABS threshold on a known tricky bit of tarmac the car nearly stood on its nose!! They are also very quiet and ride very comfortably.
Both of these tyres command a price premium for their performance, but hey, what price safety?
Look at the tyre test on Auto Express website www.autoexpress.co.uk
Re: Xantia tyres - Trevor Potter
Checkout:- www.tyres-online.co.uk/tyretest/tests.asp
Re: Xantia tyres - Lee H
Tone,

I run a humble petrol Xantia, and fitted some Firestone F580 (590?) to the front axle about 18 months ago. They improved on the knackered Goodyears they replaced.

However, after finding an 'egg' on the sidewall of a rear, I moved the firestones to the rear and got some new Michelin Energy on the front.

The improvement was marked, the handling is better with the Michelins as it feels far more willing to go round corners and more stable. Not sure what it's done to the fuel economy as my car drinks more than an average fish at the best of times, but the car is quiet enough.

HTH,
Lee.
mail the gallery, please!
Re: Xantia tyres - Dave Lacey aka Dr Dave
Yep, I can vouch for the Goodyear F1's too.

An excellent tyre with bags of grip and it looks great to boot!
Re: Xantia tyres - neil
Looks good? Definitely loosing your grip!

Xantias like Michelin (Doesn't PSA own Michelin or vice versa? I know Michelin used to own Citroen donkey's moons ago)

F1's are fine on Volvo S60/V70 but overkill on Xantia - why saddle youirself with directional/assymetric tyres unless you really need them?
Re: Xantia tyres - Bono Estente
Michelin were one of the first to develop an assymetric tyre, the XAS, and it was the preferred fitment to the Citroën DS.
Re: Xantia tyres - neil
Ah. Well, I probably just meant 'directional' then - or is that the same thing?
Re: Xantia tyres - Donkey Hoatey
Sorry - tyres looking good? A loss of reality or perspective perhaps?