Exhaust advice - Jason
Morning,

I've got to replace the exhaust on my Cavalier. A "proper" Vauxhall system is about twice the price of the quik fit equivalent. Can anyone explain if genuine manufacturer systems are actually better or just a con?

I don't mind paying vaux if its worth it but I would be interested to know what peoples thoughts are

Thanks very much
from Jason
Re: Exhaust advice - AndyS
Jason:

I am convinced that VW and Honda systems are better by far than the quickfitt replacements, but whether the extra is worth paying probably depends on how long you intend to keep the car and how important the quietness of the exhaust is to you.

VW Golf GTI, 7 years on original system, replaced back box with quickfit, then noisier and boomy compared with original.
Honda Civic, 7 years on original system. Replaced whole system with quickfit, within the 1 year guarantee I had the front silencer changed twice. Each time it fell apart internally and rattled. I then gave up and put up with the rattling.

The one replacement (VW) exhaust part on my current car has been fine for 18 months and counting.
Re: Exhaust advice - Andy P
It's just another Vauxhall rip-off (like plug leads for £113). YOu could probably buy a stainless steel system (with a lifetime warranty) for the price of the genuine item.

Andy

(ex. Vauxhall owner)
Re: Exhaust advice - alvin booth
Had a Triumph 2000 for 10 years and used to replace the exhaust myself as each section went. These were bought from your usual quick fit type of exhaust dealers.
Was in the main dealers once and there was a manufacturers one on the workshop floor. Compared to the ones I had been fitting there was no comparison, Had a job to lift it up it was so heavy.
Far superior in quality and thickness of steel but then you get what you pay for......
Recently replaced the exhaust on the wifes Maestro which was the origional after almost 11 years.. but it was diesel which makes a difference.
alvin
Re: Exhaust advice - crazed
depends how long you want to keep the car

if you want it long term consider investing in a stainless steel system

if not probably just take a cheap and nasty one
Re: Exhaust advice - Jon
Had a cheapo exhaust fitted on my Cav a few years back. It was rubbish. The new rear section had to be replaced again under warranty twice in the first 9 months as the baffles kept going in the rear box (I don't regularly use it for short runs by the way). The new parts never seemed to fit properly and had to be 'adjusted' with the aid of a blowtorch on more than one occasion. They tried a couple of different makes of part but they all seemed the same.

I eventually got one that lasted a couple of years. When that went I took it to a Vauxhall garage and got one of theirs stuck on. They said they had never seen one with baffles that had disintegrated so badly. Vauxhall one fitted first time and has been going OK for a couple of years now. Power seemed to be better and smoother than when I first got the cheap one but that may be my imagination.

Next time (if the car outlasts the exhaust of course) I'll get a Vauxhall one if only to (hopefully) save all the hassle.

Jon
Re: life of Cavalier - jack
Bear in mind that your Cavalier may expire before the new exhaust does.

Fact: original exhaust on 92K Cav lasted 8 years, replacement quick-fit lasted 2years 1month - just one month over warranty ("we can only do it if you replace middle section with tail as we cannot get them separted without damage").

Got present replacement from local parts shop - it is much heavier thicker gauge steel. Should see the car through to scrap-yard time.
Re: life of Cavalier - Keith
Doesn't stainless fatigue and crack.

I'm fairly sure that is why it isnt used on oem parts