Mercedes estates - steve Bevan
Can anyone advise about which series of the Mercedes are the estates, and which ones are best for towing a caravan? I have around £5k to spend
Re: Mercedes estates - Mahatma Coate
Older ones have a "T" in the model name - EG 240TE, E300TD. At some time in the past few years the class (C, E, S) started to precede the numbers, the 240E became the E240, sorry can't remember when.

The E classes have been built like tanks for years, the C classes were less robust.
Re: Mercedes estates - steve
For £5k you are looking at older E class estates. My suggestion is to join the MB owners club and then look through the private classifieds in the club magazine - there have been a couple of (apparently) well maintained older examples recently - at well under £5k.
Re: Mercedes estates - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
Try and find a good E300 late 80's early 90's with self levelling rear suspension. Follow the usual golden rules. They are built to last and reasonably economical in relation to their size. I service one which has done over 250k, including towing a racecar all round Europe, and apart from iffy (red) paint is still a reliable, deceptively quick barge.
Re: Mercedes estates - Steve
I would agree with your recommendation - I run a 95 e300d estate that has only done 105k miles and it feels no different to when it had done 30k. The only bit I would disagree is "quick" unless you really are comparing it to a barge.
Re: Mercedes estates - alastair
I agree with thread above, if you are towing go for a 300 TE (3 litre petrol). For your 5k, you will be looking at late 80's early 90's. If you are really lucky (I was!), you can get a '94 which is when the facelift models appear and models change to E280 and E320. Go for one without leather if you want a newer one, as they are less popular and a lot cheaper with cloth. In general, built like tanks, go like stink (petrol) but as with all these cars, make sure you get a good history using original parts. Mine has done 145k and is as smooth as HJ himself!!
Summary - a dream vehicle to own and drive. Take your time to find a goody, people tend to have them for years so not a lot around.