Purchaseof discounted Freelander - Paul Irving
My postal addresss is:3,Torr Rise,Tarporley,Cheshire CW6 OUD.

Dear Honest John,
I would like to buy a TD4 Freelander through either Virgin or perhaps Trade Sales in Slough.
1.Would I get the lowest price using this route?
2.What would be the disadvantages?
3.Would my local Landrover garage carry out any warranty work if required?

Having heard of problems in dealling with buying direct from outside the UK,I was a little wary of using this route.

Regards,

Paul Irving.
Re: Purchaseof discounted Freelander - Moosh
Read these previous postings before you buy!

www.honestjohn.co.uk/phorum/read.php?f=1&i=41772&t...7
Re: Purchaseof discounted Freelander - Mark (Brazil)
Paul,

Firstly it is better to avoid putting specific contact details on an open website, even one filled with very nice people like this site is.

Secondly, are you really sure you want a Freelander. Use the search button above. Search the text of replies for the last 90 days or so on Freelanders. If you want it to carry multiple people, there are better cars. If you want to get it dirty, there are better cars. If you want to tow stuff, there are better cars.

And it has no storage space. And bits fall off. And its not comfortable. And its gutless. And the 4WD is hopeless - even Driven (the TV program) managed to tow a caravan across a muddy field faster with a Renault Scenic 4WD.

However, if you really want one....

Then use the search feature and look for Trade Sales and Brokers4cars, bith have been discussed in here a lot.

So far as I can work out, and I haven't done it, then the answers to some of your questions would be as follows;

1.Would I get the lowest price using this route?

Using a broker, yes. Since they will beat the dealer price. Using Trade Sales and the like, maybe, but don't exclude usual dealers from your shopping around.

2.What would be the disadvantages?

You get what you buy. Not necc. second set of keys, not necc. manuals in English. etc. etc. Look carefully at the car you will buy and its accessories. It is not a main dealer and there is little room to play with.

3.Would my local Landrover garage carry out any warranty work if required?

Yes.
Re: Purchaseof discounted Freelander - Mark (Brazil)
And Paul, you checked the box asking for replies to be e-mailed to you.

Unfortunately you have auto-reply and auto-forward set on your office e-mail. Even worse, it gives your cell phone number.

I know have your name, address, cell phone number and e-mail. With this information I could find even more. This is more information than you should share carelessly.

And you don't want to know what more can be found out using this.
Re: Purchaseof discounted Freelander - Trevor Potter
Paul -
Are you really, absolutely, convinced on buying a Freelander -
despite reading all the opinions on this forum?

If you want to tow a horsebox over ploughed fields, buy a Toyota Landcruiser.

HonestJohn has advised others against the Freelander - it's build quality, reliability and dealer service are awful!
Re; "dealer service are awful", I don't altogether agree.

If the build/componet quality wasn't so bad in the first place the dealers wouldn't be under so much pressure with warranty work.
Re: Purchaseof discounted Freelander - Trevor Potter
Is that a recommendation?
No !
Just sympathy with a harrased Rover service/workshop having to mend things.
Re: Purchaseof discounted Freelander - Andy Bairsto
You will have to buy two or you will be permantly without a vehicle apart from all the faults they do not do what they are supposed to do ,and thats tow well ,go of road or go non road for that matter
Re: Purchaseof discounted Freelander - Lucky Me!
Well, having read all this, I can count myself as very lucky I guess -

We run 3 Freelanders (a TDI (old L-series engine), a TD4 and a 1.8i) - the older two (not TD4) have both covered in excess of 85k miles with NO problems, bits dropping off, warranty claims or anything and these wagons are abused big time by my colleges!

The only complaints we have are the lack of storage in the front of the cabin (at least compared to our discovery) and a lack of power in the 1.8 (obvious really) which is compensated for by short gearing so it gets a bit noisy at high speed. The petrol averages about 32mpg whilst the two diesels always return over 42mpg. Usage is mostly on-road all over the country with occasional off-road work when filming for clients.

To summarise: They are not all bad and the newest ones (w-reg on) definitely feel better built.
Re: Purchaseof discounted Freelander - Honest John
Pault obviously sent his e-mail to the wrong place. But if I was him I'd be looking very carefully at a Nissan X-Trail 2.2 common rail diesel with six speed box. Very likabel. Very honest. And goes and handles far better than a Freelander on the road. Has auto 4 wheel drive switch and ccentre diff lock for off road. And, of course, the first of those six gears is low.

HJ