The Third Way? - THe Growler
Now I shall get the BMW afficianadi dribbling in fury over their bockwurst.

Local mall has a 4wd/truck event this week, with all the glittering favorites on display parked at funny angles with the tire black still wet, and young things with absolutely no product knowledge handing out brochures, but who cares they look so nice in those short skirts. We note as expected the serious stuff like the Dodges, Fords, big Toyotas, Nissans etc. And then we come to the BMW. Or what I took at first sight to be a restored 1996 Kia Sportage till I saw the badge and the price. Is it a 4WD? Well it says so, but the Honda CR-V looks more the part and I wouldn't call that a proper 4WD. Is it a people carrier (whatever that means, I thought all cars carried people)? Well if it is the locally made Isuzu Hi-Lander is more up to the job for the average size Filipino family. Mre room, better paint job and nicer to look at. Is it a car?
If so it's a bulky and ugly one. Is it well made? Well, it should be with that badge and that price.....but hey...hon, what ABOUT that red Dodge Dakota over there for my birthday...(dragged off by the arm by Growlette).

I have often pondered what the Blair Third Way means. I think I understand now after seeing this BMW. It sort of "is", but isn't really, but you can't say it "isn't" because it isn't that either. Something and nothing in other words. A marketing team's belated catch-up with the market is what it looks to me.

I don't doubt it's excellently engineered but so is everything these days for a lot less money.

As one Filipino said to me "it's just an expensive badge, that's all".

(Stands, arms akimbo, ready to turn and run).
Re: The Third Way? - Bono Estente
Dodge Dakota what a great sounding name. Shades of Ford Mustang!

Please ask Growlette not to be so sparing with her posts if that's not being too pushy.
Re: The Third Way? - THe Growler
Well Growlette is a modest lady but I'll see what I can do, motoring related, naturally.
Re: The Third Way? - Kevin

Growler,

surely the RAM is more appropriate at your fuel prices ?

Kevin...
Re: The Third Way? - pugugly
BMW's X series doesn't really enter my event horizon. I love my 3 series. My wife's disco was an excellent used bargain, it is a well sorted, reliable second vehicle/family bus and can be used, without fear, off road at weekends on shooting trips and can tow more or less anything anywhere. Give it a clean and can stilll use it for a wedding the following weekend. Question: Who needs a BMW to do the same job. Answer: Not me so say what you like about it.
Kevin:

Yes, but while she likes something large, as it were, the Dakota was red, and red's her color see? I have the F-150 for my own contribution to depleting the earth's natural resources.
Re: The Third Way? - Kevin

Is this a feminine thing ?

My missus was adamant the Z28 had to be red.

Must admit though, some cars do have particular colours that suit them better than others.

Kevin...
Growlette like me is a Leo, it has to be red orange or yellow. But if it's a hairy muscle vehicle of some sort, I always feel red is appropriate......I mean a beige TransAm?....er.......not really. Lacks a certain je ne sais quoi. Not in yer face enough.