New Scientist on in-car warning systems - Nsar
Can I recommend to the BR a fascinating article in the current issue of New Scientist which concerns research which suggests that drivers might be risking their safety and othat of other road users with the introduction in-car systems such as Sat Nav and head up displays which is contributing to info-overload and a sense of isolation from the actual risks they are in at any given time.

It makes the sensible point that manufacturer installed systems when added to with high street systems run a special risk of conflicting or simultaneous alerts croping up with different voice commands and styles of info which add to the confusion.

Couldn't agree more personally - I think it's my job to be aware of what's going around me and take the appropriate actions. Old fashioned I know, but it has served me very well over the last 25 years.

New Scientist on in-car warning systems - Pugugly {P}
Last week I reversed into a wall in work in a car that didn't have sat nav a head up display nor significantly reversing sensors.....so it either proves the theory (the BMW has reversing sensors so have come to rely on them) or disproves it in that I can reverse into a wall with no driving aids of my own accord. (Hey this spell check feature in Mozilla wrosk)
I think it points to another layer of risk not identified in the research - drivers moving between cars with different levels of nannying and getting confused - hold on, that just proves that they are a menace...

Aplogies for sloppy proofing of my OP.

New Scientist on in-car warning systems - ffidrac {P}
Checking the instructions for a reversing beeper/camera system today (just looking for a camera as the wheelchair fills up the rear window) and noticed the disclaimer that the manufacturer was 'not liable for any accident whilst the system was in use!'

Well he would be if he was driving at the time LOL
New Scientist on in-car warning systems - No FM2R
I mostly agree with Nsar except possible on Sat-Nav.

I find I have much more time to pay attention to my driving if I am not constantly referring to maps, directions or checking every road for its name.

I think with hands-free phones, head-up displays, advanced computer displays etc. etc. it it information overload and does tend to hide the needs of driving in a fog of information.
New Scientist on in-car warning systems - eProf
I, too, read the article and found myself regaled by the vision of two Sat-Navs having an argument across the dashboard!

--
e Prof
eProf

Tom Tom has already fallen out with SWMBo (aka SatNag) ;-(

Agreed Mark. Which is why motorcycling is such a tonic, the only data being received is raw data, uncompressed non digitized in fullest Broadband. Now apparantly you can easily rig up a Sat - Nav on a R1200GS !
New Scientist on in-car warning systems - Vansboy
I still can't get used to those flashing indicator light thingies, for turning left or right.... give me the good old days, when all that was required, was to stick your arm out, to go left or right.

VB
New Scientist on in-car warning systems - Lud
That wasn't all that was required unless you were driving a single-seater or had a very long left arm... the left turn hand signal is a sort of whirling thing with the right hand, probably incomprehensible to most modern drivers. Indeed they might think it was some sort of new rude gesture and chop your arm off.
New Scientist on in-car warning systems - cheddar
Many drivers are mounting Tom Toms etc to the right had side of the steering wheel (being right handed this makes sence re the touch screen) however this just serves to make the A-pillar blind spot even worse.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=45779
New Scientist on in-car warning systems - buzbee
I mount mine to the right of the steering wheel it is so far down to right of the screen it does not hazard my vision. It just obscures my view of part of the front wing. I do not touch its screen while driving. Often I do not even switch it on until a I get fairly near my destination and then it helps sort out where I need to turn. A quick flick with the eyes is all I need to see that I have no need to look at it again for x-miles because it is showing in bold letters how far it is to the next action point. Being where it is my eyes do not have to change much from looking at the road and I can choose when it is safe to look at it. Arguably easier to see than looking at a speedo. I just wonder where nsar is coming from in saying it is a driving hazard. Is that borne from the experience of using one (and where was it mounted) or just that he does not fancy that idea? For me it is a welcome safety aid.
just wonder where nsar is coming from in saying it is a driving hazard<<

Re-read the OP - it's a piece of research which suggests that multiple gizmos contributes to info-overload and conflicting info, both of which are dangerous.

Personally I wouldn't waste my money on Sat Nav, a quick look at the map before I set off is all I need bar those few occasions when I need to re-think, but which don't make it worthwhile. My opinion is that the more you are divorced from what's around you and rely on a black box to do your thinking for you, the less aware you are as a driver. The people I know who have them have used them for a while then given up on them.
New Scientist on in-car warning systems - No FM2R
quick look at the map before I set off is all I need

That's ok if your goal is to go from a town to another town. However, I find it useful when I have to go to a specific address in a large town/city. Trying to find a street in a city such as Stoke is a nightmare I was up there the other day without Sat Nav and one way systems, litle and twisty city centre roads and a ring road which was easier to get on than off made it awful. I find that in those situations Sat Nav really helps.
VB ! So that's what those little green lights are in a Beemer !!

Funnily enough I have taken to doing hand signals when turning into our lane from the main road, something to do with being a motorcylist I suppose.