Speed bumps---tell me please - Tony Bee
God how I hate speed bumps ---all sorts. But are they worse than potholes?
(And god how I hate potholes especially in the rain when they cannot be seen.)
Do all bumps damage your car? Are some types worse than others? How do they damage your car ?

Do they damage your car even if you go over them at walking pace or less?

Are there ways of reducing the damage--like going over at an angle ? I've heard of a sharp stab on the brakes and release just before the bump.

Are cars really not designed to cope--bumps have been around for years.

I'm assuming that the cars I see hammering over them are hire or lease cars ? I'm amazed at the gouges in the road surface by some bumps.
Any tips ? Are we all worrying too much?
Thanks
Speed bumps---tell me please - Xileno {P}
Wretched things that create extra wear on the car, extra pollution and noise. Bad for people with back problems.
I've noticed the front suspension on my car has begun to get a bit clunky when going over these things, unfortunately they' re all over the place now around my locality.
Speed bumps---tell me please - Tomo
It certainly helps to brake and release just before the hump. Pehaps the old adage "she smooths out at speed, old boy" might apply, but do not blame me if it goes wrong! Certainly this flat on one pedal, then flat on the other, is ridiculous. But I suppose it means even more collected on petrol tax............
Speed bumps---tell me please - Hamsafar
After years of working on a very long road infested with them, I can say they ruin your car at whatever speed you go.
That's 6000 impacts a year they make on my car (if you count al 4 wheels individually)
I work for a large employer, and the old ladies who drive over them at working pace have just as many balljoint and bush failures as us younger folk who go around 30-40 so as not to feel anything.

Speed bumps---tell me please - Pica
You need an off-roader to tackle these obstacles :)