Registration plate query - Minoots
As a matter of interest, I have just bought an older car and the reg is K68 and 3 alpha letters. All of the 'K' reg cars that I see around have 3 digits after the K - why have I only got 2 ????

{subject header amended - DD}
REg query - mss1tw
My motorbike is R31, it's just a sequence.
REg query - Dwight Van Driver
Its the sixteth in line from start of K number - i.e. K1, K2, K3 etc etc.

dvd
REg query - TheOilBurner
See also:

www.richardsonclan.plus.com

Anything you might ever want to know about the car regs will be in there I expect. Dull site, but very informative if you're into that kind of thing...
REg query - Minoots
Thanks everyone.... but I am still non the wiser. I mean if it was going to be just 68 - it should be 068 .. or not??

REg query - mss1tw
Not.
REg query - bell boy
it'll be a ringer mate call the police now :-o

REg query - Bill Payer
Thanks everyone.... but I am still non the wiser.
I mean if it was going to be just 68
- it should be 068 .. or not??

How do you think we end up with registrations like K 1 NGS ?
REg query - s61sw
''I mean if it was going to be just 68 - it should be 068 .. or not??''

Minoots - perfectly normal. My last but one cars' number (first registered in 1988) began E65 followed by three letters.

S6 1SW
REg query - henry k
Minoots - perfectly normal. My last but one cars' number (first registered in 1988) began E65 followed by three letters.
My last cars number ( first registered in 1988) began E xx followed by DRC.

It is now available for sale by one of the big number plate companies cos I sold it to them.
REg query - Sim-O
Looking at that site linked to earlier, as long as some basic rules were kept to, anything goes. I mean, at one change of format, different districts changed at different times.
REg query - Armitage Shanks {p}
Minoots, you may not be any wiser, but you are now very well informed!
REg query - martint123
In the dim and distant past, they used to issue these numbers first to motorbikes so they fitted better in the square rear plates.
REg query - Ruperts Trooper
Leading zeros are omitted, just like money and post codes- you'd put £68, not £000068 - similarly you'd use B1 1AA, not B01 1AA.
REg query - henry k
Leading zeros are omitted, just like money and post codes- you'd put £68, not £000068 - similarly you'd use B1 1AA, not
B01 1AA.

>>
Well the second part of my post code is 0AU. Does that count?
REg query - Mad Maxy
I can't belive this thread exists...
REg query - Minoots
I really do feel as though I am now totally enlightened... I gather that my nissan has a motor bike numberplate ?? Only fooling - doing the dumb blonde bit...

but thanks everyone - I come from South Africa where each of the 11 provinces has its own slyle of number numberplates and you just get get the next highest number!!
REg query - eProf
Minoots wrote: I come from South Africa where each of the 11 provinces has its own slyle of number numberplates and you just get get the next highest number!!

...but it is always three digits as in ABC 001 GP. GP? - Gauteng Province or Gangsters Paradise, home of the lead-assisted vehicle ownership transfer system!

Ek het vir twintig jaare in Johannesburg gebly!

--
e Prof
REg query - Minoots
I now seem to have a fixation with number plates !!!

Bearing in mind what you have said, I have just seen a reg S 097 ??? that seems to disregard what we have been saying ie that the '0' sort of does not count.

REg query - TheOilBurner
Odd. I haven't seen anything like that. Were the last three characters letters or numbers?

Could it have been S897 ??? with a plastic cap covering the middle of the eight?
REg query - Minoots
Thanks for that.... 'dim and distant past' hmmmm yeah you are right - it is a 1992 car - so that could well apply !!!!!!!
REg query - Dulwich Estate
You are just so, so lucky with that number - it's really, really rare. Unique in this country I'd say !!
REg query - Mutton Geoff
> the second part of my post code is 0AU. Does that count?

The "0" in your postcode is a number followed by letters, therefore not a leading zero in the same way we don't have SW06 0AA. Most people seem to assume that the zero in the second part of their postcode is a letter O not a number 0. On a website I manage, I'm forever correcting the entries so the database can manage the mailings correctly!

Now, back to cars. My old man had a MK1 Cortina registered TEN 37 but the tax disc/logbook never showed that as 10-37 ;-)