Discount for cash - Putnam
Hi..
I was wondeing what kind of discount people have got for paying cash, with no trade in on a used car, what to expect or any tips for gettting a discount..Thanks
Discount for cash - Avant
Dealers aren't as keen on cash as you might think, as they may prefer to sell you one of their manufacturers' finance packages on which they get commission.

The brokers (e.g. www.drivethedeal.com - let's quote them as they are advertising on my right as I type) are probably a better source as they give a discounted price whatever way you pay.
Discount for cash - Collos25
As Avant says very little if anything except the normal so called discounts.
Discount for cash - Altea Ego
The only way to get a discount is to convince the dealer you are prepared to buy the car, there and then, no hastle, if he gets the price right.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Discount for cash - massey
If you are buying without finance some dealers dislike large amounts of cash.

There are bank charges on cash lodgements and maybe money laundering issues to report

Offer to pay by bank draft, much easier for everyone concerned.
Discount for cash - aahbarnes
If you are buying without finance some dealers dislike large amounts
of cash.
There are bank charges on cash lodgements and maybe money laundering
issues to report
Offer to pay by bank draft, much easier for everyone concerned.

I don't think the OP actually meant he would be handing over wads of cash. More like he had the cleared money ready to pay by bank transfer, cheque or whatever without part exchange or taking finance.

Because the dealers get a nice commission from finance I don't think there are many 'cash' discounts anymore.
Discount for cash - Geordie1
My 'tried and tested' method is to first acquire a thorough knowledge of the vehicle you intend to purchase in order that you can converse with total confidence when conducting your negotiations.

Next, contact as many appropriate dealers of your chosen marque outside of your home area via the phone, including internet dealers, indicating that you are a private 'cash' purchaser without part ex and not requiring finance etc.
Then armed with your documented lowest quote make personal visits to relevant dealerships within your home area ALWAYS in the last week of the month when sales targets are a primacy and after making an appointment to see the respective Sales Manager.

Finally, indicate that you intend 'doing the deal today' if your lowest quote can be bettered and ALWAYS act in a firm but friendly manner.

I have made many purchases of new cars and motorcycles over almost 50 years and this method has always worked for me!