Renault Clio 1.4 Engine hesitation prob - MonkeyHunter
Hi,

I hope someone can help me... Im out of ideas now.

My girlfriends Clio has developed a severe hesitation problem when under load, this problem only manifests itself when the car is "Stone cold" after standing over night for example, if driven after leaving it for the day at work it is fine.

It is a bit worrying when trying to pull out at junctions etc, as if you are not quick with the cluch & accel then the car stalls, It has got to the point where she wont drive it any more, so we have had to swap cars.

So far I have replaced the following:

Plugs, Leads, Dizzy cap & rotor. -all where past their best.
Coolant Temp sensor.

I have also checked the resistance on the Idle stepper motor(bottom 2 pins), and it seems to be within specs, 1-2 ohms when the throttle is closed and open circuit when the throttle is open. There is a small extention block between the Harness and the idle stepper motor, which appears to be a straight through connector, except that the second pin from the bottom is open circuit. I have tried removing this and the problem remains. What is it?

The idle seems to be fine, it is rock steady at just over 1K when cold & 1K when warm.

the only other thing i can think of is that there might be a bad earth, and im going to check them tonight.

If anyone could shed any light on this is I would very much appreciate it.

Regards,
Scott.
Bump.. Anyone?
Renault Clio 1.4 Engine hesitation prob - oily
Recently had a workmate suffer similar probs to yours. Garage couldn't locate the fault as none was logged on engine management system, but it turned out to be a faulty lambda sensor. Car now runs a dream.
Hope this helps.

Oily.
Renault Clio 1.4 Engine hesitation prob - cheddar
Clio 1.4 could be 1990 or 2006, which model, engine (i.e. 8v, 16v) etc?
Hi Sorry, thought i had put that in!

Its a 1994 1.4 not entirely sure which engine it is as im not up on my Renaults and its not my car. I will find out and post later. 99% sure its a 8v though.

Cheers,
Scott.
Renault Clio 1.4 Engine hesitation prob - cheddar
1.4 8v, my wife had one, cant remember how the cold start worked now, could be an air leak on the inlet side.
Renault Clio 1.4 Engine hesitation prob - Aprilia
Could be a few things:

throttle pot.
Inlet air temp sensor
Manifold heater (I think these have one??)
Manifold depression sensor
There is also some kind of idle switch in the throttle body, I think.
Hi,

I jhave checked and the car is a 1994 1.4 RT 8V. With single point injection... Not sure what engine

IAT, I will check this at the weekend when I get a chance to look at the car in the light, likewise with the manifold heater.

What's a "Manifold Depression sensor" when it's at home? Is that a Renault term for a MAP sensor?

I have checked the idle switch and it appears to be within specs. + the idle is ok, it only bogs & trys to stall when you pull away, And only when cold. Im going to pull the stepper and check it is ok just to be on the safe side though, as apparently they play up quite often.

Looks like im going to have a fun weekend ahead of me!

Cheers,
Scott.