brake pedal - hyundai coupe 1997 - adam f
my brake pedel has a bit of slack. i have to press down on it around a inch before anything happens.

is there a way of tightening it up so it is "instantly" responsive.
its a hyundai coupe 1997
brake pedal - hyundai coupe 1997 - piston power
hang on!! have you checked your brakes first every thing ok ??? if your rear brakes need adjusting that will improve your pedal. as for your pedal some cars can be adjusted.
brake pedal - hyundai coupe 1997 - Caveman
i have to press down on it around a inch before anything happens.
is there a way of tightening it up so it is "instantly" responsive.

So let me get this straight, you want to remove all free play from the pedal and for the brakes to come on the instant you so much as go anywhere near the brake pedal? For the record havign an inch of free play in the brake pedal is nothing untoward.
caveman

i want the brake pedal to be "kind of" instant but if an inch is normal then that i would feel ok with but it seems a bit abnormal, if you get what i mean.
also i have just had disc's and pads changed in all corners
brake pedal - hyundai coupe 1997 - Dynamic Dave
If it's any comparison, there is 2 to 3 inches of free travel on my Vectra brake pedal before the slack is taken up and my foot is met with anything firm.
can anyone explain how to do it or is it more of a garage job
brake pedal - hyundai coupe 1997 - Crinkly Dave
What you are describing appears to be normal, and may improve over the next week as the pads bed in.

If you still think something is unusual, or has changed since the pads and discs were changed, take it back to the company which changed them (unless, of course, you did it yourself)