Is it worth reporting..... - Aprilia
...dangerous driving.

This afternoon I saw a large van pull away from kerbside and pass me at about 50-60mph in front of a school (20mph zone). Drove directly at a crowd of 10-15 kids who had just come out of school and were crossing the road - held his horn down. I thought he was going to plough into them but he swerved at the last minute to miss them (they ran out the way as fast as they could). Made me feel a bit ill to be honest.
I got his reg. no.
Is it worth reporting this to the police or will I be wasting my breath? I must admit I have a rather cynical view of the police.
Is it worth reporting..... - yorkiebar
Might be worth a word with school instead.

If they are looking for witnesses you could volunteer, and they are more likely to get action from authorities than individuals?
Is it worth reporting..... - mlrogers@onlyme.net
I tried to report a similar incident to the Police in Chipping Norton some years back and they had the audacity to tell me that the registration number wouldn't help because they are not neccessarily unique!
Is it worth reporting..... - mike hannon
Go on, A, do it. Who knows, Plod might be looking for something to do just at that moment...
Is it worth reporting..... - Pugugly {P}
registration number wouldn't help because they are not neccessarily Hahahaha !

If you have the reg. maybe worth giving VOSA a tinkle, his driving may be due to a vehilce defect rather than just bad driving.
Is it worth reporting..... - Martin Devon
I tried to report a similar incident to the Police in
Chipping Norton some years back and they had the audacity to
tell me that the registration number wouldn't help because they are
not neccessarily unique!

WHAT.. Is it me or have you all gone mad?

MD
I cannot believe you haven't reported it. You knew the answer before you posted!!

MD
And further....not reporting to the police, who you, (AND I), have little faith in will give them even less constructive things to do..........DO IT.

VBR................................MD
Is it worth reporting..... - local yokel
Well worth reporting - Plod might have the reg flagged already, and it might help to know it's in the locality.
Is it worth reporting..... - Lud
Rather unusually for an incident of this sort, I think you should report it (for what it's worth, not much probably).

Unlike many I don't think schoolchildren are more sacred than adults, and I often see them fooling around in ways that are both offensive and suicidal. It will have done them good to be made to run. It will have made them understand that the road is a dangerous place because occupied by vehicles which may be driven dangerously.

However blinding forward at a group of pedestrians with your hand on the horn in a 20mph limit is a bit much. Arrogant 'shiny and bright'.
Is it worth reporting..... - nortones2
Don't be ludicrous Lud! Children know the road is dangerous already, but they're liable to forget, being the age they are. Adults are expected to be able to drive properly, to not place othe lives at risk, or if unable to control their emotions, to give it up.
Is it worth reporting..... - Dalglish
Is it worth reporting this to the police or will I be wasting my breath?

>>

the following was reported yesterday:

"A girl of ten had her DNA and fingerprints taken by police after her parents complained she had been bullied. Rhoanne Perkins went to the police station with her mother to give a statement after reporting the alleged attack by a classmate. But instead of treating her as the victim, officers read the schoolgirl her rights as if she was a criminal, ...she is being treated like she's the criminal. They asked Rhoanne if she wanted a solicitor and she looked at me blankly - she didn't know the meaning of the word.
'As far as we were concerned we were going to make a witness statement about what happened so I didn't think a solicitor was necessary. Then they started reading Rhoanne her rights. It was like something out of The Bill.
'After asking her about what happened the officer took her fingerprints and a mouth swab for the DNA.' .... "

This is getting boring. Report it.
I'm going into town tomorrow so I'll probably drop into the police station and report it - I have the reg., exact time and make/model of van etc. I just don't want to be kept waiting half an hour only to have them dismiss me or be asked to produce all documents etc etc.
Reason I am reluctant is that back in July 2003 I witnessed four lads break into a Fiesta near a local church - it was a Saturday afternoon and there was a wedding going on. The lads quickly ran off (with some stuff taken from out of the car) but there were some teenage girls standing outside the general store down the road. I had a word with them and got the full names of three of the lads and the first name of the fourth. Rang the police and was given a 'reference number'. I left all my details and said I'd be happy to give a statement - I had the names and also description of the people involved. Anyway, to this day no one has ever called me.
I also lived next door to a policeman for about 10 years - but that's another story entirely!
Is it worth reporting..... - Thommo
Aprilia,

YOU will be asked to produce all YOUR documents and given a 'producer' if you don't have them on you.

They will then tell you they can't do anything due to 'lack of resources' so why bother filling out forms, if you absolutely insist then they will take a statement from you and then simply ignore it.

Why waste your time?
Is it worth reporting..... - cheddar
>>I'm going into town tomorrow so I'll probably drop into the police station and report it - I have the reg., exact time and make/model of van etc.>>

Do it, think how you would feel if you heard that the same van had hit a child on a later occasion, at least if you report it you have done all you can even if plod dont take it further.
Is it worth reporting..... - Roger Jones
It was shocking incident. It should be reported. The police should do something about it.

However -- and I don't suppose this is anything new -- there is some really stupid, dangerous, arrogant and mindless behaviour among some youngsters as pedestrians, whether outside schools or not. On two occasions recently I have had to brake to avoid small groups of teenagers sauntering across the road in front of me, seemingly in the belief that they are invulnerable or, if anything happens, the motorist will be at fault, and, by the way, a "we can do what we want" attitude oozing out of their faces. Perhaps the van driver had had enough of it and, unwisely, was "going to teach 'em a lesson". I don't have any sympathy with that approach, but perhaps that is how it might be explained.

I can well imagine, if not recall directly, such behaviour in the 1960s when I was a teenager, so it probably isn't anything new. However, given the vastly increased density of traffic these days, it is more dangerous.

As they walk in groups along pavements expecting their elders and betters to get out of their way, it's not as dangerous but just as stupid, arrogant and mindless. Don't blame the teachers: basic behaviour is learned at home. Might it have anything to do with the "we got rights" and sanctity of self-expression cultures?
Is it worth reporting..... - Round The Bend
Report it!
Will be interested to hear what response you get from the police - I hope it's positive.
_______
IanS
Is it worth reporting..... - daveyjp
After doing this once I won't bother again. If you have never done it go for the experience and report back, I'd be interested to hear if anything has improved.

I reported a driver who became abusive to me. Went to the main police station, made to wait over an hour. First thing for them to process was a producer for me.

I was then told as it was my word against his there was nothing they could do. The PNC check against the reg gave an address over a hundred miles away and outside my fiorce area so nothing could be done, the car I'd seen didn't match the PNC database either. The visit was a complete waste of time.
Is it worth reporting..... - Cliff Pope
Report it, and make a big fuss. Demand to speak to the man in charge, not just the constable on the desk. Write to the chief constable if you get no action, and copy to the local paper.

That's not just dangerous driving, it's attempted murder.
Is it worth reporting..... - mk124
Report it. - I agree it is probably a waste of time, but nothing is worse than people who don't do anything, afraid that they will just be wasting their time. Of the good and inspirational people in history, all could have stayed at home since they could have waisted their time. In our everyday lives we must take inpiration from those people, even if we just do little things.
Is it worth reporting..... - smallfish
Yes report it. I reported a Subaru being driven dangerously a couple of years back - turned out to be getaway car from £20k armed robbery and police caught the gang as a result of my call.
Is it worth reporting..... - Westpig
i wouldn't bother reporting it.........

the front desk will be staffed by either a civilian who is over stressed and over worked (because most front desks' have been closed, for budget reasons,so the few that are left have too much work to deal with)... or... a probationary constable (because there's a pecking order and no one else wants that job) who will be virtually clueless...

then there's the unit that would deal with the query...........the Criminal Justice Unit employs people just above the minimum wage and there won't be enough of them........ Road Traffic Act stuff no longer has any kind of priority (government priorities imposed on all police forces) so the crime side of things will run a lot more smoohtly than the Traffic side....

then there's the incident itself......... your word against the van driver, as it would be unlikely that any of the school children will come forward......... and because the van driver is not aware of this incident he ought to get a Notice of Intended Prosecution within 2 weeks, so he can prepare a defence...... which puts more pressure on the CJU... The CPS will not run with this because of the lack of any other witnesses and the 51% likely conviction rule....

lastly, there's the follow ups required...... when rather than if...... said driver doesn't bother replying to any correspondence or if indeed the van is registered in the first place........ it is very difficult to spare staff to engage in door-to door- enquiries........only the most serious get done........ as there is not enough to go around, (with all the government imposed iniatives and ideals, they are posted to units with higfher priorities).

sorry to be so negative, but it is a complete waste of time

Is it worth reporting..... - artful dodger {P}
>>YOU will be asked to produce all YOUR documents and given a 'producer' if you don't have them on you.

Do not see how they can ask for them - you might have been on foot rather than driving. So be prepared and make sure you take them with you.

>>there is some really stupid, dangerous, arrogant and mindless behaviour among some youngsters as pedestrians, whether outside schools or not. On two occasions recently I have had to brake to avoid small groups of teenagers sauntering across the road in front of me, seemingly in the belief that they are invulnerable or, if anything happens, the motorist will be at fault, and, by the way, a "we can do what we want" attitude oozing out of their faces.

Certainly agree with this statement, but some recent reasearch has shown this to be caused by hormones and may not be deliberate on their part, however annoying it might be to others.

>>Might be worth a word with school instead.

I feel you should contact the school as they might be pleased to have help in a campaign on road safety, if things like this have happened before.

The standard of driving certainly leaves a lot to be desired from your description. Although the Police might not take any immediate action, they might mark the registration for a pull and then discover many other motoring offences. I know this because I had a suspicion about the occupants of a vehicle many years ago, upon telephoning the Police with my concerns the policeman stated he would mark the car registration and they would pull it in the next few days. I hope this information led to them being picked up and questioned, hopefully this sort of information should still be used today.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Well, been down to the police station and I think it was a waste of time. One officer on duty behind the desk who spent about a leisurely half an hour dealing with a young chap who'd been given a 'producer' on the way back from a takeaway last night. Anyway, I then gave details which he noted down. I asked if anything would happen and the copper just said, 'Well, we've got it on file if he does anything else' - whatever that means.

Incidentally, in response to comments above about the school kids I should point out that they weren't doing anything wrong - just crossing the road as a group (albeit a bit slowly). The road is long and straight and the van driver just gave it full throttle acceleration from about 1/4 mile away - I was 100m from the school kids and he passed me at 50mph minimum - in a 20mph limit. Maybe he'd just had an argument with someone - don't know - but no excuse for that sort of behaviour.
Is it worth reporting..... - Cliff Pope
This is outrageous. Deliberately accelerating a vehicle into a group of children, intimidating them into getting out of the way, is criminal.
Well, been down to the police station and I think it
was a waste of time. >>

You have done the right thing and all you can, it is up to the Police how they proceed.
Is it worth reporting..... - NowWheels
Bizarre, isn't it.

Brandish a pistol in public, and there's a speedy armed police response. (Neighbour's son did it with a replica gun, and police responded very rapidly to the complaint: quite impressive)

But drive two tonnes of metal at a lethal speed, directly at a group of children, and they just "put it on file" :(
Further proof that if you want to terrorise people, a car is the ideal tool for the job.

Well done, Aprilia, for reporting it and for your account of the police non-response. But why just leave it with feedback to the backroom? Why not write a letter of complaint to the Chief Constable, with a copy to your MP?
Is it worth reporting..... - jacks
I asked if anything
would happen and the copper just said, 'Well, we've got it
on file if he does anything else' - whatever that means.

I think it means.................No we won't do anything
Is it worth reporting..... - Adam {P}
>>Further proof that if you want to terrorise people, a car is the ideal tool for the job.<<

What was the first bit of proof?

As everyone has said Aprilia, at least your conscience is clear now whether they do anything about it or not.
Moral lift touches the penthouse !
Who'd have thought you'd have been able to fit "moral lift" into two separate threads on the same day?

I'm impressed! Your next task is to fit "Fiat justitia ruat caelum" into another thread someone.

I believe in you - go on.
Piece of cake - took about three seconds.
You're good. It even made sense too!

Fit "Pacta sunt servanda" in and I'll forever be in awe.
No motoring connection so I'll have to wait for something in Computers or Questions.
If you didn't have to look that up (like I did) then I am absolutely amazed (and impressed).

If ever I get myself into a bit of a mess, I've decided I want you to represent me. (Hopefully that will never happen but you never know...)
Is it worth reporting..... - paulb {P}
Fit "Pacta sunt servanda" in and I'll forever be in awe.

Easy - all he needs to do is resurrect one of the "Ordered car, paid a deposit, changed my mind, want my money back" threads.

Do I detect vestiges of a classical education there, Adam, or are you sitting at the PC with a dictionary of Latin proverbs in front of you? :-)
Sadly the latter Paul. The only classical education I received was learning to play Fur Elise on the piano.
>> I asked if anything would happen and the copper just said, 'Well, we've got it on file if he does anything else' -
whatever that means.

>>

it is a at least a more honest reply than this story in the news today :

{"Caught close-up on camera, you would think this suspect might be cooling his heels in a police cell by now.
But the landlady who handed officers this CCTV footage after a security camera was stolen from her pub has been told the case is closed. Apparently police believe they do not have enough evidence. Sam Down, who runs the Railway Inn in Plymouth with her husband, was stunned to receive a letter from local officers saying they were "no longer actively investigating the crime". ..... }

Its best reported, there is a tragic story on the BBC news website about a young boy killed by a van, two have been arrested, just possibly this tradegy may have been avoided had someone reported an earlier transgression by the same vehicle.
having the picture of an oik stealing a camera is of no use to man nor beast if you don't know who it is... ok you can ask the local press to publicise it, but how far do you go with this? Crimewatch?... There is no system for feeding in a picture and the name of the miscreant to come out.

on the motoring related issue of the appalling driving by the van driver and the lack of action that will go with it, despite Aprilia reporting it...

this is up to the population in general, through their elected representatives (MPs) to ensure that the government of the day acts to deal with what we wish them to.........

at the moment, the Old Bill being paid public servants have been given strict priorities by the governement and have been requred to give regular returns in the process........these priorities are to the detriment of other areas of police work, that traditionally the police used to deal with (e.g. disqualified drivers, traffic offences as above etc). This worrying trend is relatively new in the big scheme of things and distracts from the traditional independence that Chief Police Officers used to have.

traffic matters are not a priority so they are increasingly not bothered with....... this has nothing to do with police indifference, but the 'policy makers' dictating what will be a priority and then providing resources for that purpose and that alone........... hence less traffic officers & more cameras (as they pay their way and are low maintenance).

Try reporting a fraud, for example........... it's nigh on impossible and even if recorded will not be investigated, as complained about by the insurance industry the other night on the t.v. programme about the car accident scams.
detracts even (instead of distracts)
Is it worth reporting..... - Micky
Hand your contemporaneous notes and contact details to the head of the school.
Spent the last 8 hours in Custody (pre-arranged arrests x 3) The arrest is the easy bit, there was a steady flow through this Provincial nick. I spoke to a Police guy I know and he was telling me that arrest is now the last resort, it means a 45 minute journey to Custody for him followed by a patient wait as prisoners get dealt with through a "triage" system (i.e. you could be first there but if your prisoner is calm and comlient you may have to wait for someone else's drunken yob to be processed), the Officers are mnitored in response times to jobs, the way they deal with it at the scene, the way they log the incident, the way theu write up the file and the quality of the final file. Officers use the fixed penalty system to bypass the paper chase. My prisoners were in for a nasty motoring related offence, we spent 8 hours in there juggling in and out of interview rooms, sitting around waiting for turns at the custody counter anda dire process known as CPS Direct........a right nightmare. The process for the Officer in the case is now effectively paperless but still a veritable mountain to climb before their job is signed off to Court. Not good, I have never (in 27 years) seen the system creaking at the seams as it is now. Custody Officers are highly exposed to error which could result in loss of life.....I wouldn;t do it.
What I meant to add is that it's easy to carp and complain but the system is highly overstreched and it's all to easy sit in the comfort of your home moaning. If you feel that strongly about it get out there and do something to help....
Is it worth reporting..... - scotty
Such as??
Special Constabulary voluntary work?..........

letter to MP/ councillors, letter to National Press, letter to Chief Constable (i.e. apply some pressure to re-address the balance)..... as you, the taxpayer, are paying for this and you are electing the people who are making the decisions..............if enough people did it, then we'd get some change.......... sadly we don't.
Specials. I would happily do this if it wasn't for the conflict with my day job. I may volunteer when I retire in 36 pay days time (when I''ll be 50 !)
I hope this doesn't come out as sounding insulting but I had you down as mid 30's PU. Don't ask me why - I just did!
... but I had you down as mid 30's PU. Don't ask me why - I just did

>>

there is an old thread somewhere where backroomers tell all about their a,s,l, ( sorry, but can't be bothered to search for it right now : ) ).

Well you're as young as thewoman you feel (as Groucho Marx once said)
reading some of this it'll sound like you've earned it.......... keeping it motoring, what will you buy with your pension commutation?