Honda Accord i-CDTI Oil & Filter Change - HensTeeth
Hi all,

I have an 05 model Accord with the i-cdti diesel engine and I'd like to perform an interim oil change. Having only ever worked/changed the oil on cars fitted with the single screw-on metal can arrangement, I could do with a little reassurance that the replacement will be as obvious as my dealer suggests when I get it to bits!

The replacement oil filter box contains the paper filter element but also comes with 3 o-ring seals. The paper element itself seems to be manufactured to a plastic cylindrical former which has an o-ring seal at either end. Of the outstanding three o-rings, the large one I assume is a replacement seal for the screw-on 'cover' for the oil filter housing at the top of the engine, but the other two (different sizes but about 1-2cm diameter) I can't easily imagine a home for! I have a replacement metal alloy washer for the sump plug, so I assume there's no call for an o-ring there... Or perhaps it will indeed be blindingly obvious when I unscrew that oil filter cap...

Anyone changed the oil on their i-CDTI diesel before and thus able to offer some guidance?

Many thanks,

Toby
Honda Accord i-CDTI Oil & Filter Change - piston power
no, but when you remove it put it into a container then you can see were the o rings are fitted, usually the ones i have done just have the 2 o rings 1 large, 1 for the bolt. but honda are the dog's hooter at making cars!! good luck hope this helps.
Honda Accord i-CDTI Oil & Filter Change - grease monkey
grenadier,quite straight forward this,undo the plastic oil filter housing,pull off the paper oil filter element,and with the housing in your hand you will see one small o ring at the top,a slightly larger o ring in the middle & like you said it is blindingly obvious where the large o ring goes. just pay special attention when you refill with oil as its quite easy to overfill this engine,holds approx 5.5 ltrs for an oil and filter change.
--
if it aint broke don`t fix it
Honda Accord i-CDTI Oil & Filter Change - HensTeeth
Thanks very much for that Grease Monkey. As you say - very straightforward once you have taken the old one off! My Accord is now running very happily with a sump-full of fresh oil.

As to avoiding overfilling - I did all I ever do - fill it to max on dipstick, start the engine and let it idle for a couple of minutes, switch off, have a cup of tea(!), and top up as needed. As an aside - I wish the garages would do something similar. The supplying Honda dealer (it was an approved used Honda) had overfilled it by more than a litre when I picked it up, as I discovered when I checked it the following morning. Their excuse was that they have a filling machine which is set to dispense a certain amount of oil and they don't check the dipstick afterwards!!! I'll be checking it before I drive off the forecourt next time they've been at it!

Thanks again,

Toby