Strange Noise: BX - ChrisR
My BX estate has recently begun making a strange noise, and I've been waiting to have it serviced before checking with you lot.

The thing is this. When turning to the left and accelerating hard (light pressure is fine) there's an odd gurgling/grumbling noise from somewhere in the region of the nsf. I deliberately didn't mention it to the garage, but waited to see if they would pick it up - I haven't been using them long, and I wanted to know if they would spot anything untoward in their service, which is supposed to include a test on road, but clearly doesn't.

I know it's not a wheel bearing (I know what that sounds like, and this isn't it), and it's not a CV joint either (same reason). It actually sounds like it's coming from something in the power steering; like a kind of gurgling hydraulic sound mixed with some vibration. I should add that there's no play in the steering, the car tracks just fine, and there are no knocking or clunking noises or noises other than under load turning left, and not always then either.

A bit weird really. Should I be worried?

Chris
Re: Strange Noise: BX - Simon Butterworth
Similar problem with my xantia most pronounced transitioning into roundabouts. Suspect centrifugal force causing unwanted contact of pad onto disc. Of course it won't perform for the garage but they are in Northampton and the roundabouts are in Milton Keynes!!!!.
Re: Strange Noise: BX - Andy Bairsto
Chris Watson is an expert on this subject