Motorcycle sat nav, which one? - shoei
I am looking for a sat nav for the motorbike, I am close to buying the TomTom Rider, before I do any thoughts? I need it for europe mainly. Is TomTom easy to use? it will be my first sat nav and anyone know of any cheap places to buy? Thanks
Motorcycle sat nav, which one? - Pugugly {P}
I'm doing the same as you. Not sure yet. BMW websites seem to talk about every make other than TomTom. Let me know.
Motorcycle sat nav, which one? - hillman
Any kind you like as long as you don't look at it while you're riding.
Motorcycle sat nav, which one? - Adam {P}
Wouldn't that defeat the point?
Motorcycle sat nav, which one? - Pugugly {P}
R1200's mount provides a "head up" or "head down" experience and a bluetooth link to your lid.
Motorcycle sat nav, which one? - psi
I find my tomtom one in my pocket, with headphones to be sufficient around town, but is a problem at motorway speeds
Motorcycle sat nav, which one? - Lud
On a motorbike, who reads the satnav? The guy - or quite likely gal I suppose - at the top of the human pyramid?

Left! Left! I said left! AAAAAAgh!
Motorcycle sat nav, which one? - martint123
I have a Mitac MIO and just shove it in my shirt pocket and use those very thin mini speakers in the helmet. There are occasions when the spoken instructions are wrong, mainly on tiny back roads, where the 'main' road bears left and there is an even smaller junction that is sort of straight ahead - if it wants you to take the minor road, then it often says nothing.What would be nice would be an output to three LED's or something for left, ahead or straight on. that you could either glance at, or be in your peripheral vision.

Martin
Motorcycle sat nav, which one? - Sheepy-by-the-Sea
On the few occasions when I've used my Rider on my bike, I haven't even bothered mounting it. I just let it get a fix, set a destination, and leave it in my top box. The voice directions are all I need. I find having it in front of me is a real distraction. (If you want to use its mobile phone facility as well you need to see the screen, otherwise you can't answer calls).

Be aware that:

a) The Rider bluetooth headset is pretty cheap; I replaced it with a Cardo Scala Rider headset, which works very well.
b) Mobile phone compatibility is a bit hit and miss. Rather than just rely on TomTom's list, check out the forums.

If you're going to use the Rider in a car as well you'll need the mounting kit (which works OK) and a bluetooth headset or speaker - again, I found the earpiece that comes with the Rider kept falling out of my ear.

Motorcycle sat nav, which one? - SjB {P}
I use the same iPAQ 2210 with CF card antenna (effectively making the setup "one box" rather) and TomTom 5 I purchased for the car, on my Honda Hornet. To be able to do this is one of the reasons I chose the kit that I did, and it sits nicely in either a small waterproof tank bag with magnetic base and transparent cover, or, more often, in the transparent pocket atop my waterproof touring tank bag. After a recent thread I started on the backroom I now have a battery charger fitted too, so am no longer limited to about three hours of usage.

For obvious reasons however, despite the transparent pockets I rarely look at the screen and instead navigate via spoken instructions received through my Autocom Easi 7 Advance intercom; crystal clear at any speed. Absolutely brilliant, and next to be used from 17-21 August on a trip to Scotland in the company of five or six other bikes.
Motorcycle sat nav, which one? - SjB {P}
effectively making the setup "one box" rather

= effectively making the setup "one box" rather than two