Fiat Bravo Ext. Temp Guage Incorrect - fraz
Hi All,

The external temperature display on my Fiat Bravo is reading hugely incorrectly- started it up yesterday and it flashed up -20 on the dash display at start up! Then when the button is pressed during driving it's always a '-' something temp.

So can anyone tell me a, what the most likely cause is - assume a knackered thermo? b, if this problem might be indicitave of any other problems with the car -( runs perfectly) c, how much it is likely to cost to replace and finally d, any idea where the therm is located on a 2001 Y fiat bravo 1.6 sx please?

many thx

fraz
Fiat Bravo Ext. Temp Guage Incorrect - L'escargot
If ever I had an electrically operated gauge (any gauge) that gave a negative reading when it should be positive my first thought would be that the wires could be crossed over somewhere.
--
L\'escargot.
Fiat Bravo Ext. Temp Guage Incorrect - Armitage Shanks {p}
Or chafed and worn and shorting to earth. Where is the sensor? Finding it and checking the wiring would be a start.
Fiat Bravo Ext. Temp Guage Incorrect - David Horn
IIRC, it makes no difference which way round a thermocouple (if it is one) is wired. Would suggest you change the sensor.
Fiat Bravo Ext. Temp Guage Incorrect - George Porge
Well I'd find the sensor and clean up the contacts on the plug...... But I'm tight;-)

I'd have thought the sensor would be behind the front bumper somewhere, VWs are
--
2 Dirty VW diesels and a Honda with an 18 inch blade
Fiat Bravo Ext. Temp Guage Incorrect - Altea Ego
most renaults, (and some fiats) its in a large visible blip (looks like a big ripe zit) under the door mirror on one side
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Fiat Bravo Ext. Temp Guage Incorrect - Armitage Shanks {p}
Same on a 206; maybe Peugeot and Fiat source their mirrors from the same supplier? Pug it is at the bottom of the left side mirror housing.
Fiat Bravo Ext. Temp Guage Incorrect - fraz
many thanks all.The sensor is apparantley located in the passanger wing mirror and fiat have said you can't replace just the senor - need the whole wing mirror assembly at cost £130-150 + VAT!! does anyone have experience of removing the wing mirror cap on a bravo and what the sensor is likely to look like?

many thanks
Fiat Bravo Ext. Temp Guage Incorrect - SpamCan61 {P}
Sound slike one of those problems I'd live with, rathe rthan thow time / money at; I doubt very much if teh sensor is conencte dto anything other than the tmeprature display.
Fiat Bravo Ext. Temp Guage Incorrect - George Porge
Check the wiring between the A pillar and the door in question. It could be that the wire has broken internally due to flexing. To confirm this observe the temp gauge whilst an assistant opens and closes said door
--
2 Dirty VW diesels and a Honda with an 18 inch blade