whining noise on VW Polo - rhino
My trusty little '96 Polo has developed a whining noise that pitches in at about 30mph, almost like a vibration coupled with road noise..

It eminates from the front nearside wheel, and sound like the tyre's running almost flat. I've checked the condition/pressure, both ok.

Any ideas?
whining noise on VW Polo - Pugugly {P}
Wheel Bearing.
whining noise on VW Polo - Peter D
Yep wheel bearing. does it get louder when cornering and puuting more load on it. Jack it up and check for play put no play does not indicate it is not the bearing. I have heard some really rough ones put exhibited little play. Regards Peter
Thanks chaps; it becomes really noticeable when 30 mph is reached; can't say I've noticed it get worse when cornering.

Garage time, then. Is this major surgery in terms of cost? I usually use a small independant.
whining noise on VW Polo - bell boy
local independant is best but please dont tell them which bearing it is if it does get diagnosed as such in case they do the wrong one and noise is still present (been there many times)
ie let garage diagnose and replace .......
Boiiinngg...

Any ideas of a ballpark cost for this? The bank balance isn't too good at the mo...
cost of bearing £20/£30
hour and a half at your mans labour charge
this is assuming it is a bearing and you have the right side and your man has a press to do his own bearings (not something ive ever owned even though many a time ive been tempted)
ive just looked on autodata and that says hour and a half as well :-)
Many thanks; not as bad as I'd feared.