BMW Z3 2.8 Nikasil recognition - Mike-H
A friend has asked me to inspect and give an opinion on a BMW Z3 which he is interested in buying privately, and we are going to see it tonight. BMW's mechanicals are outside of my area of expertise, but we know it to be a personal import, and I note HJ's comments in car by car breakdown: "2.8s imported from other markets may have vulnerable Nickasil-lined bores rather than steel-lined bores". My question is, do any of you know how I can tell if this is the case please? Is it engine number, age of manufacture? Obviously if the engine smokes or there are idle problems we will give it a miss! We think the car was built late '99 and UK registered Feb 2000. I would really appreciate further advice on this if you can. I have searched the forum, but no Z3 info.Thanks
BMW Z3 2.8 Nikasil recognition - Armitage Shanks {p}
Do a Forum Search in the Back Room Box at the top right of the screen and you will get many threads on this subject
Thanks Armitage, I tried that first, but as I said in my initial question, I could not find 2.8 info, just 323i, and I have no idea if the dates or engine codes will be the same. I maybe not using the search properly of course, I will look again! Mike
BMW Z3 2.8 Nikasil recognition - Dude - {P}
If you are sure your car was built in late 1999, you should have no problem, as from 03/98 production dates, steel liners were used.
BMW Z3 2.8 Nikasil recognition - Dude - {P}
If you want to verify the actual build date , if you enter the last 7 digits of your vin into www.realoem.com you can see when it has been manufactured
Thanks Dude, that's re-assuring. I will get the VIN tonight and check it out tomorrow. I expect HJ's comments in the 'Car by Car Breakdown' to be with regard to earlier models, or the possibility that cars not imported in official channels may have been sitting about longer prior to registration in the UK. Thanks again, MIke
BMW Z3 2.8 Nikasil recognition - CJay{P}
If you want to verify the actual build date , if
you enter the last 7 digits of your vin into www.realoem.com
you can see when it has been manufactured

AND to make 100% sure give this number to BMW UK customer services and ask them as to wther the engine has been changed or not.
Do you think they would help on a personal import? Seems a bit cheeky to ask. Cheers, Mike
BMW Z3 2.8 Nikasil recognition - John S
My 323 has a clear sticker stating 'BMW Built Dec 98' on the NSF suspension turret, next to the VIN number sticker. The Z3 may have something similar. My understanding having looked at various websites, as someone else has said, that these engines had steel lined blocks from 03/98.

JS