torn- 5seriesBMW, Maxima3.0,XJ6 ? - Boris
Hi
I'm after a bit of a straw poll. I want a big comfortable ride and cannot decide which to go for.
BMW 5 series seems to have more problems with duff service records.
Maxima QX 3.0 get slated over here but are very popular in th US but I cant find one
XJ6 3.2 seems to be my fave at the moment.

Looking for a 93-5 and to pay about £3000. Now that you have picked yourself up off the floor from laughing so hard. My current car is a SAAB 9000 that I picked up for 1500 four years ago and has been a dream, it can be done.
Re: torn- 5seriesBMW, Maxima3.0,XJ6 ? - Andy Bairsto
The maxima will be the cheapest to run and will probably be the most reliable a Jag that old is the bank managers friend
Re: torn- 5seriesBMW, Maxima3.0,XJ6 ? - Alwyn
I am told the the Americans used to say " If you want to get rid of your wife, buy her a Jag and she won't be home anytime soon"

I once owned a 2.4 Mk 2 Jag and it was really good for posing ( grow up Davies) but it all came to a sad end when a Zephyr crossed my path as I was doing 70 ish along a dual carriageway. Two write-offs. Oooops.

Only damage to me was a black eye and sore ribs. Heavy cars are safer.

I understand the Maxima would probably be the one to go for. Easier on fuel too.
Re: torn- 5seriesBMW, Maxima3.0,XJ6 ? - David Withers
Boris,

You've obviously heard about the 5-Series fuel-spec-related engine problem. However, this affects the E39 model that was introduced in 1995 and you are MOST unlikely to find one of these in your price range.

The earlier E34 5-Series with the M50 engine (1992 - 1995) is incredibly reliable and comfortable, is a delight to drive, and is pretty good on fuel too (yes, I'm biased - and I WOULD buy one again!).

By all accounts, the 1995-on XJs are extremely good cars but I would not go earlier than this. I love the Jaguars and have driven quite a few, although I've owned only one (a superb 3.8 S-type of 1967 vintage, bought in 1970 with a genuine 25,000 miles on the clock for less than £500). The XJs, though, are a bit bulky for today's cramped roads and car parks and they don't have that much space inside either, especially the boot. But if that's no problem, then why not enjoy a bit of luxury?

As for the Maxima - I won't waste words on this, except to suggest: "Those daft enough to buy, deserve".
Re: torn- 5seriesBMW, Maxima3.0,XJ6 ? - Tomo
I saw a Maxima a couple of months ago (rare bird up here) and walked all round it twice to see what might be wrong (At my age and appearance I'm unlikely to be thought to be contemplating theft!). It looked yet another well made piece of Jap kit.

I don't think I'd have one - boring, though that's a merit to some on here! - but unfashionable can mean good value.

So it's for use, fine if you can find one.

The others no; either not on a budget, or no way at all, I think

But what's wrong with the SAAB, I take it it's pre GM? No need to rush.

Cheers, Tomo
Re: torn- 5seriesBMW, Maxima3.0,XJ6 ? - Boris
Thanks Tomo

The SAAB has 160,000 on it now and though the engine and box are still strong. Its the other bits that I would have to put my wife on the streets to pay for, probably new exhaust and a couple of other bits. That would pay for another car.

Cheers
Re: torn- 5seriesBMW, Maxima3.0,XJ6 ? - lada riva owner.
the hyundai sonata is a good car, go for the 2.0 litre, as the 3.0 litre has the same performance.
Re: torn- 5seriesBMW, Maxima3.0,XJ6 ? - El Dingo (Martin)
Boris,

If the Saab is nearly scrapworthy, why not take all the easily removeable bits off (keep in the garage for when you need them - or advertise and have a garage sale), scrap the rest, and buy another similar model Saab...

Martin.