Reporting smoky vehicles - Cliff Pope
Has anybody every tried reporting a smoky vehicle?
I've emailed enquiries@vosa.gov.uk 3 times over the past year reporting an apallingly smoky school bus. I often see it around, and nothing has ever been done about it. It leaves a smoke screen behind it everytime it pulls away or accelerates, and is the worst ever vehicle to be stuck behind in traffic.
What is the point of this scheme?
Reporting smoky vehicles - type's'
Just another attempt by the government to demonstrate it cares but never does anything when stuff is reported. A bit like the cones hot line.
I sometimes wonder where these people have their mot's done.
Reporting smoky vehicles - Xileno {P}
Report it to the bus company, I have done this before.
Reporting smoky vehicles - v0n
If those old heaps are capable of passing VOSA standard MOT emissions test every year who are we to judge it by its smokiness...
--------------------
[Nissan 2.2 dCi are NOT Renault engines. Grrr...]
Reporting smoky vehicles - mike hannon
If it's a school bus or a coach on a school contract just ring the school transport section at your County Hall with the company name and reg no. They will be paranoid about potentially unroadworthy school transport putting children at risk and act on what you say.
Reporting smoky vehicles - Cliff Pope
with the company name and reg no. They will be paranoid
about potentially unroadworthy school transport putting children at risk and act
on what you say.

Yes, I might try that. There is no name on the bus, but judging from the livery it might be the council's own vehicle.
I wasn't really that bothered about schoolchildren getting poisoned, just curious to know whether the system works. I think I can conclude that it doesn't.
Reporting smoky vehicles - barney100
They do this on Malta because of the large number of old vehicles there I presume. Some of the lorries and buses were churning out copious amounts of smoke and following such a vehicle was very unlpeasant.
Reporting smoky vehicles - Happy Blue!
Yes the buses in Malta are very old and well kept but with old and smoky engines. However, it is much greener ruuning an old bus than buying a new one.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Reporting smoky vehicles - frazerjp
If you need to check the operator of the bus, pull to the side of the bus there should be "legal lettering" on the bottom side with company name with its address etc..
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
Reporting smoky vehicles - bell boy
If you need to check the operator of the bus, pull
to the side of the bus there should be "legal lettering"
on the bottom side with company name with its address etc..
--

it fell of guv ..........sorry :=(
Reporting smoky vehicles - frazerjp
It shouldn't fall because they're usually transfered onto the paintwork. Or if for instance the bus has been recently perchased prior to having a re-paint, the address can be found stuck in the nearside front window!
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
Reporting smoky vehicles - Hamsafar
I have reported loads, but only those run by the establishment (eg. holier than thou council's mobile library), not chaps trying to earn a crust.

I've always had a followup, but I think you need to ring the Smokey Diesel Hotline.
Also, if you have been searching the net, spell 'smokey' as I have.

Dirty Diesel Hotline - ring 0870 6060 440 (the Vehicle & Operator Services Agency) to report on any smoky diesel you see. Be ready to give location, vehicle registration number, vehicle type and distinguishing marks if possible.

www.eta.co.uk/pages/Dirty-Diesel-Hotline/DDHotline...m
Online call me back request.
Reporting smoky vehicles - Wales Forester
Don't forget older HGVs and PSVs can smoke a lot and still pass the emissions test, it's not the amount of smoke that matters, it's more what's in it.......
Reporting smoky vehicles - slowdown avenue
yes,i reported one to the police,had been behind this filthy smokey bus about 10 times in a fortnight, the police couldnt have been less obstrucesive, i can assure you those buses are kept maintained to the hieghst standard he told me .
Reporting smoky vehicles - Pugugly {P}
less obstrucesive
or more obstructive ?