Saab 9-3s or 9-5 with a 2.2 Vaux diesel - gasoil
Thinking of buying a Saab 9-3s or 9-5 2.2 Tid with the Vauxhall 2.2 diesel engine.

Any info would be great. Does any one own or driven a 9-5 diesel auto I would like to hear your views, Thanks.

Also I would like to know apart from being a bit noisey at tickover is it pretty reliable & economical? Any info would be great!
Saab 9-3s or 9-5 with a 2.2 Vaux diesel - TheOilBurner
My experience of the 2.0 version in an Astra was that is was reliable (only had it a year though), very economical but smokey.

Performance was nothing great, but low down torque was good.

Most people on the Vectra forums with the 2.2 like it, some picking it over the newer 1.9 CDTI.

Not much to go on, but then if there isn't any major issues then there wouldn't be... :)
Saab 9-3s or 9-5 with a 2.2 Vaux diesel - Anglesey Ian
Hi all

I own a Saab 9-3 Tid (Feb 01) with the 2171cc GM engine and have had for some 3 years now.

Always reliable and economical> Fairly speedy with the Saab turbo and an extremely comfortable car for long distances.

Now at 65k miles, it suffered the anticipated and expected malaise of poor starting but this was remedied with replacement spillback pipes (Supply & fit: £25 + vat).

Regards

Ian
Saab 9-3s or 9-5 with a 2.2 Vaux diesel - Roly93
I had the saab 93 sport saloon with this engine, and can report that I had no problems at over 30,000 miles. I think this is a robust but basic diesel engine. The issue I had with it was that compared to the modern PD and CR diesels, it lacked performance for its size and struggled with fuel economy compared with the newer diesels. I used to just get 45 mpg on the motorway sticking to a steady 80, but my new car does 50+ in the same driving.
Also, this engine is rather agricultural regarding noise inbside the car at low speeds and tickover, and is horribly noisy externally unless completely warm.
Saab 9-3s or 9-5 with a 2.2 Vaux diesel - gasoil
I used to have a VW Passat with the 115pd and I know that it wont be as economical or go as well, but so long as it is reliable. It realy is only for wife to go to shops and work!
Saab 9-3s or 9-5 with a 2.2 Vaux diesel - Group B
Do you mean the 9-3ss saloon model?
I've got the old hatchback one with the 2.2 TiD. I have done 38k miles in 2 years, now on 112k miles. Mine has been totally reliable (I currently have a problem with the heater, but no probs mechanically). Engine is a bit agricultural (especially when cold) and not as economical as VAG engines of the same era, but torque is good.
Check out forums at www.saabscene.com , there is a sticky thread for reliability for each model.
Saab 9-3s or 9-5 with a 2.2 Vaux diesel - Mike H
Try here at the Saabscene forum, where there was a recent discussion along the same lines:

tinyurl.com/h5q24

You'll probably find others, and get some idea of the general feeling, if you search the site. Interesting to note that the diesel is seen as more reliable than the petrol models.
Saab 9-3s or 9-5 with a 2.2 Vaux diesel - DP
Have driven a Vectra SRi with the 2.2 DTi engine. Very impressed. Torquey, relatively refined (although not as quiet as the new common rail engines) and very economical. It's owner told me he averages high 40's MPG with mostly motorway use.