Lifespan for a BX? - Simon Butterworth
Our 11 year old (91/H) BX 19 TGD estate is coming up to 114k miles and needs a major service, cambelt change etc. It's been maintained by the book since new and still does around 8k miles a year as a second car but with the capacity to fill in long distance as required. Only major problem is it ships water into the footwells, clean so probably from round the sceen or the scuttle.

If I carry on looking after it how much longer can it be expected to last?. What are the killers eg hidden structural rust that would make further repair uneconomic?.

Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Lifespan for a BX? - The Real Bogush
Does it have a sunroof, do the drain tubes still stop fairly short behind the trim to the side of the footwells, and have you been messing about behind them?

I once pulled a tube on an 80's BX "inside" the car while checking some wiring: took me ages to find where the "leak" was !:-(
Re: Lifespan for a BX? - Andy Bairsto
The sun roof is the bogey for water leaks my BX must have had about 5 gallons slushing around the rear pillars.When you travel through France and Germany you see many old BXs with tremendous mileage readings so a little loving care should see it around for a good few years yet
Re: Lifespan for a BX? - ladas are slow
the rust has set in on our BX's sunroof, so it doesnt work, and it has moss growing on the rubbers, AND water is coming in through the hole under the aerial.
Re: Lifespan for a BX? - David W
Simon,

Normally rust would be the last thing to finish off a BX, but your water ingress could see serious corrosion in the floor area.

At just over 100K the engine/gearbox will do the same again.

What finishes these cars mostly is a few faults building up that makes repair uneconomic, even if they would extend the life for many years.

It is only the odd person who will spend £500 on a £300 car because they can see the overall picture.

If you want some specifics.....

Head gasket/head can be expensive if you overheat.
An exchange hydraulic pump could be close to £200 fitted.
Rear arm bearing failure is common and expensive unless you can DIY.
Heater blowers can fail.
Rubber hydraulic return pipes can fail and some are a pig to replace.

Oh I could go on and on but it is likely to be these small/medium items rather than one large episode.

David
Re: Lifespan for a BX? - Simon Butterworth
Thanks for those comments, Dave i already recognise a few :- (.

No sunroof, they were always an extra on estates, but the water is in roof/ bonnet quantities and collects when stationary. Just keep the carpet lifted and mop out regularly.

Guess the old thing can be kept going then, i can see he bigger picture.

Had a close call on Friday, object probably a hubcap detached from car opposite direction and hit the plastic front bumper, damage limited to the rubber fender and light possibly knocked out of alignment. Would have made a real mess of the Xantia!
Re: Lifespan for a BX? - David M
Those plastic bumpers have never won many frinds but they're pretty good at absorbing punishment without breaking - unlike many bumpers on cars sold at the same time as the BX.

As for the leak, sure you haven't got a grommet missing/loose somewhere?

If you need help/advice on any of the jobs you've doubtless got pending, the Andyspares forum, the BX technical forum and BX DIY site have plenty available. Check out www.andyspares.com and www.eurocarparts.co.uk for cheaper OEM spares. Apologies if you're aware of these already.

Alternatively, if the car has a good history and isn't too tatty you may find interest in the Automart off the BX technical forum. Well-kept diesel BXs still have a following, though prices are anything but high.

David
Re: Lifespan for a BX? - Mark (Brazil)
Author: ladas are slow (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: 15-02-02 13:50
the timing belt), the interior is in mint condition, very slight rust on one of the rear doors, but no other rust, she was thinking about £325, but put it up for .

Author: ladas are slow (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: 19-02-02 00:56
the rust has set in on our BX's sunroof,

Ho, hum, some things never change.

Pathetic, really. Or sad, I suppose.
Re: Lifespan for a BX? - ChrisR
If you can stop the leak it has years left in it yet. Have you checked that the wiring from car to door isn't fouling the door seals? Mine leaked this way in huge quantities. All I had to do was bend the wires the other way. Our local recycling centre/dump is a BX estate-fest at the weekend as everyone takes their hedge clippings, old washing machines etc. down there. They are the ideal second "shed" for carrying junk. As David M says, there is still a market for diesel estates, probably for this reason.

Keep yer knees dry.

Chris