Honda CRV Sport Automatic Reg.01.08.2005 - Deskpilot
If there are any owners out there who own the above quoted model of CRV, I would be most grateful to learn whether they suffer as I do from a jet engine type whine/whistle which comes in at 35/40 mph and then persists. On the other hand, do you own a car of this model and are free from this problem?

I have tried two demonstrator cars of this type, and likewise, they displayed the same characteristics.

My view is that the automatic gearbox is possibly the source of the problem or perhaps, the "drive by wire" accelerator system, because the whine becomes more intense on blipping the pedal.

I believe the DBW system works via two potentiometers, varying the output according to pedal pressure, so presumably an electrical current is generated.

My dealer is involved, but, to date, is no nearer finding an answer, neither are Honda.

Frankly, the car is otherwise, great, (this is my third CRV), but this one is driving me right up the wall !!!

Honda CRV Sport Automatic Reg.01.08.2005 - Manatee
I had a 2003 with this gearbox and engine, no such problem. (Not electronic throttle).

Belts? Induction whistle? Does it do it with the aircon on and off?
Honda CRV Sport Automatic Reg.01.08.2005 - Deskpilot
Thanks for your comments. I too had a 2002 model of the same spec which gave no trouble at all.

Unfortunately the 2005/2006 CRV had a facelift plus, I understand, some tinkering with the the engine and drivetrain.

For example, at 70mph on the 2002 model the revs were some 3100/3200, whereas at the same speed, revs now come in at about 2800.

Whether this us due to the 16" wheels on this model (15" on the 2002 CRV) I don't know but I wouldn't have thought so.