1.9TD XUD fuel filter draining - David Horn
Just been browsing the Haynes manual for my car (Citroen Xsara), and apparently I'm supposed to be regularly draining the fuel filter. Aha, says I, that's what that little hose is for.

Now, according to the book, I unscrew the little valve and wait until diesel free of water emerges from the hose. Except nothing comes out, even if you completely remove the drain plug.

Is this normal? The engine has been working just fine for the last 3 years without me touching it.
1.9TD XUD fuel filter draining - PhilW
Had exactly same problem on my old BX! In the end I decided that since I couldn't remember ever changing the filter I would do that. When I took canister off - no sign of water anyway!
I would say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"! But if you do take the canister off, I seem to remember that it was all held together with a long alloy bolt which is easy to overtighten and break - don't ask!
--
Phil
1.9TD XUD fuel filter draining - Martin1981
Usually, when I attempt to drain the fuel filter on my 1994 306 TD, nothing comes out of the thin pipe, so I squeeze the rubber fuel priming bulb (located on LH side)very slighly and that always seems to work. Usually only need to drain off a very small amount of water every 5-6k miles.

Martin
Cheers Martin - that did the trick! There wasn't a drop of water in the fuel anyway... ;-)

David.
1.9TD XUD fuel filter draining - 659FBE
Draining water from the filter bowl is an essential part of diesel engine maintenance. Mostly, there will be none but one day you may either get a bad fill or suffer from the effects of condensation in a storage or vehicle tank.

The screw-on PSA filters have a short hose attached to the drain "tap" at the bottom of the filter cannister. Unfortunately, none of the manuals mention the obvious - you have to let air in at the top in order to get anything out at the bottom. The PSA diesel I maintain (TUD 5) has a bleed nipple in the top of the filter head for this very purpose. Open the vent and draining a little fuel from the filter is easy. Close the vent, operate the primer a few times and all is done.

Sorry to drag up this old chestnut, but I just had a quick peek under the bonnet (first time in 3 months!), and even with the little tap tight a tiny bit of fuel is seeping out and collecting in the hose. Is this normal? Can't remember having noticed it before. I just splashed it around the engine bay, and it's not cheap, diesel. :)
1.9TD XUD fuel filter draining - solara
This is not normal. I believe there is a small o-ring on the end of the screw tap which can be replaced.