1993 Nissan Micra - Fixing oil leaks - willyb
My sister's 93 reg Micra has a bad oil leak which I have traced as coming from the sump pan. There is a lot of corrosion and after cleaning this away I found the oil welling out. Any ideas how to fix it.Are there any magic compounds worth a try:I don't want to replace the sump unless this is the only way as the exhaust etc would need removed.
Also the dipstick is seized in place! Any ideas welcome
Fixing oil leaks - adverse camber
I did a 'temporary' repair on a sump using an RTV compound about 5 years ago - still fine.

I would want to be able to get the dipstick out though. How often has this car been serviced ?
Fixing oil leaks - Hamsafar
I once repaired an aluminium sump that scraped/cracked on the gound.
I rubbed exhaust repair paste into the crack while the sump was hot, this stopped the oil weeping out.
I then used a cloth and solvent and wiped the area, then sealed over the top with JB Weld. jbweld.net/index.php
The exhaust paste held back the oil while the chemical metal cured overnight!
It was still fine 4-5 years later.
Fixing oil leaks - bell boy
dipsticks do seenm to fail top come out on micra"s and break at the end of the orange bit.
With regards the leak there is a long term cure
drain oil
clean leaking area with brake cleaner/cellulose paint thinners
allow area to dry
apply jb weld available from halfords making sure a bigger area than the hole is covered
leave for 24 hours to cure
replace the sump oil
job done
never had a long term problem yet
alternative solution....new sump

if you use my way make sure you put some paint on the surrounding sump in a weeks time to stop any further corrosion.

--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Fixing oil leaks - willyb
Thanks guys was thinking along the lines of JB weld or similar, problem is the leak is from a pinhole size hole on a convex surface and I don't how well it'll take. Thought of dishing it in slightly with a blunt punch but maybe not a good idea considering the metal is thin.

The car's not been well serviced hence the dipstick issue.
Fixing oil leaks - jc2
Put a self-tapper in the pinhole.