Hypothetically speaking... - David Horn
If my sister and dad went out in my car for a hypothetical driving lesson on the A38 Devon Expressway, and my sister attempts to change down from 5th to 4th for some slower traffic, but can't hypothetically get it into gear. Puzzled, she asks my dad for help (hypothetically, of course...)

After some loud and unpleasant grinding and shrieking noises from the gearbox, said pair discover that they might have been trying to put it into reverse by mistake. Is my gearbox likely to have suffered any hypothetical permanant damage besides polishing up the teeth on the cogs a little?

Hypothetically speaking... - AlastairW
I did this once in a 4 speed Panda. Down to 3rd for overtaking manoever(!) halfway past overtakee change up to reverse. Much grinding of teeth ensued (and an embarrassing falling back into line) but once I got it in the right gear all was well.
Drove the car for a further 20k miles over the next 18 months or so without further grumbles from the box.
Hypothetically speaking... - Armitage Shanks {p}
You are covered! In another post yesterday re learning to drive you said that your parents were going to pay for your next service, which will be a big one! Perhaps it will include a new gearbox! Seriously, I hope not!
Hypothetically speaking... - Altea Ego
I would have the gearbox oil drained and changed. Clean out all the shiny bits....
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Hypothetically speaking... - Robin Reliant
I once had an examiner get out of the car at the end of a test and tell me that the pupil had gone from 5th to 2nd when attempting to drop to fourth as she slowed for a fifty limit. I did say to him that if it ever happened again I would rather not know about it.

The VW Lupo did survive unscathed, though.
Hypothetically speaking... - Roberson
I did this in a Micra hire car. Speedy get away....into second....lots of revs....block change into 4th....come on, 4th! (pulling harder and harder on the stick). Ah, that'll be reverse then, having been too enthusiastic when pulling the leaver across the gate and missing the 4th slot altogether.

Car was fine, although granted; I only had it another 50 miles or so. A quick 'box oil change wont go in wrong and it wont be that expensive surely.
Hypothetically speaking... - Armitage Shanks {p}
I read what is being said about changing the gear box oil but what would this achieve? The oil can't be 'damaged' or is this a way of checking for bits of cogs and baulk rings in the drained off oil? If anything is found in the oil then damage has occurred - or has it?
Hypothetically speaking... - Altea Ego
Bits of swarf could be swilling about in the oil. Better out than in.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Hypothetically speaking... - Lud
Chuck the car away and get a new one. Otherwise it may let you down at a crucial moment. Or if you don't mind, don't bother.
Hypothetically speaking... - Manatee
It was hypothetically rather gratuitous of them to tell you - had they not done so you would hypothetically have been much happier. What were they hypothetically thinking about?
Hypothetically speaking... - Aprilia
Not usually any synchro on reverse so it doesn't do the gears any good. However most people stop pulling on the lever once they hear the noise, so unlikely any serious damage done.
Hypothetically speaking... - mfarrow
I second RF's advice re. changing the gearbox oil. Most metal will get picked up by the magnet but non-ferrous stuff won't. If you don't know how long they tried engaging 5th then best be on the safe side.

--------------
Mike Farrow