This must be a scam, but how? - fray bentos
I have advertised one of my cars on another website.I have had two seperate offers to buy the car unseen, from people writing in poor English,who want to pay me several thousands more than the car is worth to cover shipping costs to Holland,although one guy says he is a businessman in this country.They want to pay by bankers draft and dont want shipping till the money is cleared.Who would buy a car unseen for more than its worth? It must be a scam but how does it work if the money is in my account? Is the bankers draft fake or can they access my account and withdraw it later.Or should I scam these guys in return!
This must be a scam, but how? - kennybase
Well known scam - the cheque will be returned to you about 90 days after you cash it and you'll be left with no car and no money. Best thing is to ignore the emails.
This must be a scam, but how? - Spospe
I have had this tried on me, it is indeed an attempt at fraud. You get the cheque, it seems to clear, you part with the goods and then the cheque is cancelled / withdrawn / goes bounce.
This must be a scam, but how? - Roly93
Well known scam - the cheque will be returned to you
about 90 days after you cash it and you'll be left
with no car and no money. Best thing is to ignore
the emails.

>>
Yeah and I bet the guy calls himself something like Reverend Brown, and says he wants the car for his wife as a surprise ! Certainly you will get a surprise if you deal with any of these people !
This must be a scam, but how? - Manatee
They're not interested in the car - they will 'overpay' and ask that you pay them back the surplus and/or pay it to someone they nominate for 'shipping' after their payment has 'cleared'. Stolen or forged drafts can bounce and be debited back to your account weeks later in some cases, by which time the money you paid them is irrecoverable.
This must be a scam, but how? - moosh
www.phonebusters.com/english/recognizeit_advfeefra...l

This must be a scam, but how? - Sprice
Just tell the Nigerians to go take a running jump!
This must be a scam, but how? - local yokel
The key to this is that the bank named on the draft has up to 28 days to notify your bank that the draft is dodgy. Hence you appear to receive cleared funds, so you happily release the car, and refund the excess by a cheque or draft that is honoured. On day 27 your bank withdraws the amount of the original draft.....
This must be a scam, but how? - massey
Here's a description of how the vehicle (car, truck, motorcycle) buying scam works from the original ad to the (sometimes bitter) end

www.swapmeetdave.com/Scam/index.htm
This must be a scam, but how? - Nsar
Not recommending this course of action but what if you got the funds in your account and then closed the account and turned it into cash before the trap shuts?
This must be a scam, but how? - Altea Ego
YOU are then part of the fraud. This time you have moved the fraud on to involve the bank, and it then becomes a crime in your home country.

Far better to withdraw the money paid in by the cheque, invest it short term and earn yourself 3/6 pence before you are asked to pay it back.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
This must be a scam, but how? - Nsar
How can it be fraud? You have sold your car in return for cash. You have closed an account. Where's the illegality?
This must be a scam, but how? - Altea Ego
The fraud is the cheque. You cashed the cheque, and your actions in closing the account is proof that you knew the cheque to be a "false intrument"
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
This must be a scam, but how? - Bill Payer
How can it be fraud? You have sold your car in
return for cash. You have closed an account. Where's the illegality?

It's not neccesarily illegal, I guess unless they can prove that you acted knowingly, but the bank will pursue you very aggressively for the money.

IIRC there are people who have 'got away' with this, by asking, and double checking with the bank that the cheque was OK, only for it then to turn out not to be. But there are many others who have done the same thing and have been forced to repay.

There's a certain form of words (which I can't remember now) that the banks use to indicate that the cheque/draft has completely cleared through the system, and after that it cannot be returned.
This must be a scam, but how? - LHM
The link about the Chevrolet truck had a link to....

www.scambuster419.co.uk

It had me in hysterics! This guy has been doing what I've often thought about doing on receiving these scam e-mails.

Worth a read!
This must be a scam, but how? - Union Jack
"false intrument"

TVM - Sounds more like a strumpet to me ....

Jack
This must be a scam, but how? - Thommo
Has been said above but to give the full answer.

A cheque or bankers draft is marked 'cleared' in three days. This means your bank lets you draw cash on it. If the cheque/draft is from a UK bank drawing on a UK account and that bank is part of the clearing system then it may very well have actually been paid by the other bank within that time. If it is not it will not and if an obscure overseas bank they will be collected up at head office and posted to the relevant bank and it may take three months+ for your bank to actually receieve the cash. Until such time you are receiving an interest free loaned from your bank. If the cheque/draft fails to clear your bank will demand the money back and sue you for it if necessary.

The phrase you need IN WRITING from your bank to ensure that the cheque/draft has paid is has the cheque/draft 'been given value'. If you can get this in writing, which you almost certainly won't be able to as banks hate giving such assurances, then you have every right to assume the money is yours and the bank must swallow the loss if it subsequently goes pear shaped.

Money transfers by the likes of Western Union on the other hand and in fully paid funds and absolutley unretrievable.

So the scam goes as follows:

Car value. £10,000.

Cheque/draft sent for £15,000

You pay £5,000 by Western Union to a 'shipper'.

They may or may not pick up the car. Most don't bother they just disappear.

Some time later your bank takes the £15,000 back so you are £5,000 worse off or even £5,000 plus the car if they did pick it up.

Just tell them to get lost.
This must be a scam, but how? - Vin {P}
Have some fun:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=29362&...f

V
This must be a scam, but how? - fray bentos
Thanks one and all. As he has my e mail address I've asked him to send me the money by paypal! Strangely hasn't got back to me yet!
This must be a scam, but how? - Cyd
Ouch!! Paypal commision would equal a lot of beer.

Anyway, it's even easier to perform this scam using Paypal. About 2 weeks later, just raise a chargeback claiming goods not received. Since it is IMPOSSIBLE for you to meet Paypals seller protection requirements, the money will be paid back to the buyer.

see www.paypalsucks.com/
This must be a scam, but how? - Martin Devon
"false intrument"
TVM - Sounds more like a strumpet to me ....
Jack

Brilliant.
This must be a scam, but how? - MW
Believe it or not this happened to me while selling my disabled mother's stairlift! The price was only about £500 or so, but the same thing happened. Just delete.
The golden rule in life, is that if something smells very odd.... it is!