Too much bother to sell cars...... - AllTorque
I have been looking to change my car, either for a new or nearly new one, over the last few weeks. I cannot believe the indifference and complacency around - if I was a manufacturer finding sales below par, I'd be fuming to know the quality of representation that is out there.

One main Seat agent who gave me a test drive last Saturday has not phoned me to confirm my p/ex price; the salesperson did not know her product or how to demonstrate/sell it and obviously can't be bothered. An internet seller I have applied to over the web is not prepared to honour its advertised price; it claimed a listed price to be for a new unregistered car, but up to tonight they are still quoting these as dealer supplied cars but in reality they would only do as pre-registered vehicles, and collected from 200+ miles away. Each time I've had to phone them, as they've not return calls they promised to make.

I've now sold my car privately and the Seat dealer has lost my business - they wouldn't have made a much easier sale. It's put me off the brand somewhat.

Are there still good garages about, competitive but professional with a respect for a customer?

Too much bother to sell cars...... - Manatee
A rhetorical question perhaps? Obviously yes, but how to find them?

I have dealt with Bob Gerard Ltd three times on new Hondas and would do so again - not grovelling but straightforward and consistent - but they are not a main dealer!
Too much bother to sell cars...... - Editor
I too went to a Seat agent last year. Not wishing to tarnish all with the same brush (yes, I've just read that 'just say yes' thread) but I had a similar experience of indifference. Which is why I now have a Pug. Shame because by all acounts on here those Seats are excellent.
--
www.bayingbasset.com

Too much bother to sell cars...... - MGspannerman
A few years ago I went to the local Mercedes dealer on two occasions. The first time I stood in the showroom for 20 minutes and shuffled round looking at the bits and pieces, tried to catch somebody's eye but they were too engrossed in conversation to worry about me. So I went off and bought a Jaguar. Tried again next time I came to change with a similar result, only this time I bought a BMW. I do now have a Mercedes as it happens, but a 10 year old one made by engineers, purchased secondhand with modest miles and one previous owner and lacking that non-optional extra that seems to come with Mercs these days now - indfferent quality, poor reliability and rust. I would never buy a Merc from a dealer and would have to be dragged naked over broken glass to take one there for servicing. In the hopefully far and distant future when my current car needs replacing I suspect it will be with a Japanese or even Korean vehicle.

I feel much better for getting that off my chest! MGs
Too much bother to sell cars...... - oldpostie
A little while ago I spent some time in a main Vauxhall dealership, and in the end, I had to ask the man on the parts counter if I was visible. That's partly why I have A Ford now.
Men in their late 50s, who take their wives along to look at cars in a showrroom are not usually timewasters, I feel.
Too much bother to sell cars...... - Bill Payer
I bought a Seat last year, and 2 dealers, one local and the other that does a lot of stuff on the Internet, fought pretty hard for the deal.

I always wonder what's going on beind the scenes in dealers, though. Twice recently (including the Seat purchase) the salesman has left the company between me ordering a car and picking it up (I can't be *that* aggressive!).
Another time, a dealer was kind of helpful with test drives etc, but didn't seem particularly bothered. They lost the franchise a few wks later, so they would have been on notice.

There's no excuse for being ignored in an empty showroom though. However visiting a (for example)BMW showroom on a busy Saturday when they can't write orders up fast enough is always going to be frustrating.
Too much bother to sell cars...... - Andrew-T
"Each time I've had to phone them, as they've not return calls they promised to make"

In my (fairly limited, 35 yrs) experience it's a rare dealership that makes any promised phone calls. It may be that they are too busy selling, or perhaps they have been told to cut the phone bill, or even that they have lost your number. But I doubt all of those ...
Too much bother to sell cars...... - Falkirk Bairn
Even after the sale the service can get worse.

Eldest son & DiL are buying a new car to have more room for the youngster. Before the sale they had 3 calls in a week to see if they were buying - after trying out the safety seat & buggy in the boot etc they signed up but the car is 2 mths in coming.

In the last 2 weeks they have phoned the garage about delivery date and reg number etc as this always takes time and delivery was supposed to be imminent. Calls were not returned and and the sales person was always with a customer..........after many calls they managed to get the reg number/insurance etc sorted out and are picking up the car today.

What the service will be like in the coming weeks and months is anybody's guess.

Good service from a salesman / dealership gets return sales - I bought 5 in row from one salesman despite him changing dealerships - until he sold me a less than satisfactory car from aless than satisfactory dealer and that was his last sale.
Too much bother to sell cars...... - AllTorque
Should also have mentioned that my daughter went to test drive a Pug 206CC, and got messed about. She called back at the allotted time as the salesman went off to lunch......she wrote to Peugeot and today had a reply from them saying how sorry they were but it was a dealer issue....they'd copy the dealer, whci had already been sent a copy! Pass the parcel, sorry buck. It's a short-sighted manufacturer who doesn't pressurise his dealers in a slack market to perform to the highest standards of customer care.

Back to my original post-the email promised by the internet seller of the Seat hasn't arrived with my p/ex value. I've today sold my car anyway; they don't know this and could have got themselves an easy sale today! Too much trouble all this for me now - I'll probably leave it a while and then try again.
Too much bother to sell cars...... - mikeyb
Thought I would just drop in a semi positive note here - dropped into a VW dealer - not the local one as they are useless, and the sales guys are more interested in smoking on the forecourt than selling cars. Anyway, asked about a sharan and was greated by the sales manager who was arogant in the extreme, and knew less about the product than I did, but did give my part ex a look through the window, and provide a valuation which appeared to be quite generous. In a rush so didnt stop to discuss any more, and time caught up with me. 2 months later I dropped back into the dealer to see what they had, and was greated by a very charming, helpful lady who was very knowledgeable about the car. Part ex was again valued quicky and the same offer as before was made - cup of coffee and left to think about it on our own as they had a choice of colours / specs to chose from mostly pre reg and a couple of new. Decided on one but explained that in a rush. Sales person had a quick chat with general manager and came back with a really good deal - deposit paid, and car picked up one week later. Only issue was that they had reverted the car back to standard and not long life - quick phone call and the car was booked in for change over - no hassle and a full appology.
Too much bother to sell cars...... - Fullchat
"Only issue was that they had reverted the car back to standard and not long life - quick phone call and the car was booked in for change over - no hassle and a full apology."

Can someone enlighten me? Standard, Longlife?????
--
Fullchat
Too much bother to sell cars...... - Manatee
Servicing regime - basically trying to keep the fleet buyers happy with services every million miles or so, whilst acknowledging that shortish average journeys necessiate reasonably frequent servicing. The car's service indicator can be set for either regime. Presumably the dealers prefer the shorter intervals.
Too much bother to sell cars...... - Bill Payer
Presumably the dealers prefer
the shorter intervals.

>>
We bought the VAG servicing package for the Seat - £20/mth for 12,000/yr for 3 yrs, includes all service and tyres. I assumed that VAG would put the car would be on variable servicing so wasn't sure if this was a reasonable deal, but daughter wanted to go for it.
However, I was pretty surprised to find the car on fixed 10,000mile/1yr service intervals.
Too much bother to sell cars...... - Blue {P}
Not that I;m cynical, but the Ford Galaxy has the same mechanicals and yet Ford offer it with a standard 12,500 mile or 12 month interval, I don't think long life is available. How come regular servicing is necessary on the Ford but not on an identical VW model?

Anyway, I digress, this is about dealerships, recent good experiences would be with two Mercedes garages, followed by a predictably poor showing (totally ignored us) from our local BMW garage, and a lukewarm response from one in the next town down the A19.

Blue
Too much bother to sell cars...... - mrmender
I think it's a case of shopping around the 2 VW dealers nearest me attitude stinks, where as one 70 miles away can't do enough for you. Don't know if its because the 2 nearest are in a rural area so have a captive customer less choice for the punter so don't have to try
The other that's 70 miles away is near 2 large towns so have to try harder? as there is more choice for the punter
Too much bother to sell cars...... - quizman
I wish that people would name the good garages, so others could go there.

I also wish that we could name the bad garages, but I know that this is not allowed for some reason.
Too much bother to sell cars...... - umistim
Most people like to browse around the new car showrooms on thier own without having the attentions of a salesperson, but, of course should be given interested attention when desired.

However, quite a large number of showroom visitors just want to act the big spender and display their product knowledge without having serious intent of buying. Some of the early discussions with staff are to try and qualify if the intent is genuine of not.

If only there was some way of identifying the genuine enquiries from the wasters life would be more pleasant for both the purchasers and the sales personel.
Too much bother to sell cars...... - bell boy
If only there was some way of identifying the genuine enquiries from the wasters life would be more pleasant for both the purchasers and the sales personel.
```

most salespeople who are good at their job can tell a buyer from a messer
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Too much bother to sell cars...... - Aprilia
most salespeople who are good at their job can tell a
buyer from a messer
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"

Totally agree.
Many of those who couldn't attract a salesman's interest probably weren't ready to buy. A good salesman can smell the money in your pocket. They are not interested in blokes wandering around asking how many litres the petrol tank holds etc etc. Buyers strolling around in a VW, Merc or BMW showroom and expecting to be treated with 'reverance' and forelock-tugging are going to be sorely disappointed. It'll be a case of 'give us an order or get out' - they have enough customers without having to worry about chasing after you.
If you really want a particular make/model of vehicle then you are hardly likely to be put off by the attitude of a single salesman (more fool you if you are!).
I know that if I wanted a particular vehicle I would telephone around the regional dealer network, check out the car brokers and bargain for the best deal.
Most car salesmen these days don't have very good product knowledge (they don't recruit them from Oxford and Cambridge you know!) - if you want to know the spec and technical details then look in a brochure or on the website.