Fuel economy on new car - svm
Afternoon everyone

We picked up a brand new Nissan X-Trail last week. We got the 2.2 diesel version with a reported 37 mpg. However, on my rough calculations we are only getting approx 28mpg and yet we are driving very sedately at the moment.

I'm aware that on new cars, they are not fully economical and takes time for the engine to bed down before becoming more economical. However, this does seems to be a remarkable low fuel economy rate.

How many miles does diesel engines needs to cover before they become more economical? And when this occurs, can I expect an improvement of approx 10mpg?

Thanks.

PS - Apologies to those who has seen this post elsewhere!

SVM
Fuel economy on new car - Xileno {P}
10000 miles approx will see an improvement.
Fuel economy on new car - Collos25
You do not really believe the manufacturers figures do you.
No, I did not believe the manufacturer's figures. However, I did not estimate the "true" figure to be approx 10mpg less.
Fuel economy on new car - steve.m
10000 miles approx will see an improvement.

Would it be about the same for a petrol engine?

Thanks to the helpful posts above. I shall just have to grit my teeth for the next 10K miles then!
Fuel economy on new car - Xileno {P}
Not sure about petrols, I suspect an improvement may occur as things loosen up a bit. My Renault dCi returned a 'disappointing' 48mpg when new, at 10K it began increasing to 56mpg and once or twice I've seen the magical 60+mpg.

Once fully run in, you need to give diesels a good thrashing from time to time, it's surprising what muck comes out the back.
Fuel economy on new car - Victorbox
My petrol Zafira's mpg has already improved dramatically after the first few fill-ups and that is only over 2000 miles. Engine was really tight for first 1000 miles.
Fuel economy on new car - Wilco {P}
Don't be too sedate!

www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=32
I have to say this confused me. I printed this out for when I picked up the car and intended to follow this. However, the manufacturer says there is no running in period, except for driving gently and no harsh baking for the first 600 miles.

So without going into details, is it best to follow Honest John's running in guidance?

Ps - I haven't exceeded 3k rpm yet anyway just in case!

Thanks.
Fuel economy on new car - turbo11
All of the new cars(4 so far)I have had, have taken between 8,000 to 20,000 miles to bed in and see an improvement in fuel economy.Although one of the vehicles never got over 28mpg on a long run despite a claimed 35mpg combined figure.I always knock off 10% of manufacturers fuel economy figures, to give a true reflection.
Fuel economy on new car - SGB
When running in a diesel engine, don't thrash it but do give it some work to do!
A diesel that is run in hard (firmly)will always be a more willing or efficient engine.
Fuel economy on new car - Mike H
I can only concur with other posts. I was horrified in 1999 when I got my Saab 9-3 TiD, and only saw just over 30mpg out of the first tank! By the time I got rid of it with 60k on the clock I was regularly getting 45mpg and seeing 50 on the odd occasion. It didn't really come into it's own until at least the 10,000 mark - and as someone else has said, driving gently and pottering will never allow the moving parts to bed in properly. Use brisk rather than harsh acceleration, and gradually increase the rev limit.
Fuel economy on new car - Sprice
You'd be best off following Nissans advice on running-in over HJ's
Fuel economy on new car - Hoseman
Hi SVM
I have an X-Trail SVE 2.2dci which I bought new 8 months ago and has now completed 8000 miles and used only BP Ultimate fuel.
My miles are done mainly in town,and the average is 36 mpg.
When it was new I went on holiday and managed 43mpg over a distance of 800 miles so I am well pleased with the vehicle having had no problems so far.
I have also followed HJs advice on running in a new diesel.
Hope your economy improves
Hoseman
Fuel economy on new car - mikeyb
The father in law has a 2.0 petrol x trail and he sees about 30 mpg, although he rarely drives in trafic.
Fuel economy on new car - Hoseman
My previous car was an X-Trail SE+ 2.0 litre petrol which returned 25 mpg around town and 30 mpg on a run.
Hoseman
Fuel economy on new car - Altea Ego
You have had the car for a week. YOu cant work out the average MPG in a weeks driving, it needs to be averaged over a 1000 miles. YOu dont mention what kind of driving you have been doing (urban, school run, motorway driving)

Dont treat this thing gently, they really need to be worked to get them run in and perform nicely later.

About 10k is right before you get any idea of what this thing is going to give you.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >