Traffic Light - SKSpawn
Hi all,

I was wondering exactly how the traffic light cameras work that we see on the roads. The other day, I was driving in an area completely unfamilier to me and being given directions by a friend of mine who failed to mention turn-offs until the last minute. Regardless, I had to turn right, but did not notice a traffic light on my left. There were three sets ahead that I did notice, that had turned to red, so I slowed to a stop as quickly and safely as possible (this was at night, and I was the only driver on the road at the time). I could just see the traffic light to my left but could not see the white line road marking, or any road markings at all, on the road, so I had/have no idea if I was on the line or not and, if so, by how much. Somewhat confused I almost considered turning right, but stopped before I had moved forwards because the lights that were ahead of me (about four car lengths away or so) were still red.

I waited for all lights to turn green and turned, but I don't know if any of the lights had cameras on, my friend said the one on my left did not but the ones ahead did, being as it was dark I could not verify this. There was no flash, but I am worried about what constitutes as passing through a red light. I was not stopped in the middle of the road, just I don;t know how far over or near the line marker I was (my friend guessed maybe a car's length, but as I could still make out the light on my left a bit I can't be sure). I did consider reversing backwards but, again, there was no visable stop line to guide myself by, so I simply stopped and waited, not continuing on until the lights had changed to green.

I had once accidentally driven through a red light about two months ago and paid the price for it, from one side to the other in a continued drive without realising it, and that to me would constitute as running a red light, but I am unaware of exactly what is seen as running the light, as I stopped, though late because the light to my left was obscured and I assumed the ones ahead were for a different turn off.

Any help regarding this would be very grately appreciated because I'm worried, considering I already have points on my license.
Traffic Light - Adam {P}
Worry not.

First of all - I would imagine there'd need to be a stop line in order to know that you'd passed it. If not, I imagine you'd have a field day fighting the ticket. DVD is very knowledgeable in this area and may be able to clarify wether there does need to be a stop line. I know Temporaru lights are exceptions.

With regards to the camera, if it was dark, you will have seen a flash unless you had a paper bag over your head. (Maybe you did - I don't know how embarassing your car is).

I've been on the receiving end and I know how bright they are.

If you wanted to reassure yourself, you could always take a drive back in the daytime and have a look. There should be some lines buried just after the "stop" line although apparently there isn't one. But the cameras themselves are massive things set away from the lights. They look like speed cameras.
Traffic Light - normd
traffic light cameras up here look like Gatsos but they're narrower. They work by motion sensors ie pass into the relevant area and FLASH! Just sitting a bit over the white line won't set them off.
Traffic Light - SKSpawn
Well yeah, there is the fact that I didn't see any flash. There may have been a stop line, just I couldn't see it. If there were cameras on the lights then they were those little ones you get on the tops, if you know what I mean? They didn't have the big bulky speed-camera-like ones in that area, just lights with those little camera-sensors on, but it was too dark for me to make those out until I was right up close.
Traffic Light - Adam {P}
They're not cameras. They are actually sensors.

All red light cameras will either be the normal "narrow Gatso" RLC36 or somthing called a Peek Traffimaster which is equally as big with two circular lenses.

Again, all work by the strips embedded just after the stop line. I think most are piezo electric and can be set off by stopping over the line but we're talking half a metre rather than just over it.
Traffic Light - normd
so if it's not a motion sensor but a strip in the road just after the white line that sets them off can I assume that if you're queueing to turn right and get stopped by oncoming traffic well after the line and end up completing the turn after "your" light has gone red it won't go off?
Traffic Light - Adam {P}
If you're in the middle of nowhere (i.e. you've crossed the stopline waiting to turn right) then you've already crossed the strips and can't set them off.

They will only (in theory - they get it wrong sometimes) get you if you've committed an offence. That offence is crossing the stop line so if you've already done that before the lights have gone back to red, nothing to worry about.

Traffic Light - Bromptonaut
They will only (in theory - they get it wrong sometimes)
get you if you've committed an offence. That offence is crossing
the stop line so if you've already done that before the
lights have gone back to red, nothing to worry about.

IIRC they can snap you for a box junction offence, which applies if even you cross on green, as well.
Traffic Light - Adam {P}
My knowledge of box junction cameras is non-existant. We don't have to content with them around here fortunately!