Why not to buy a low mileage car... - Happy Blue!
Over in Technical you can read about my MiL's Merc E320CDi, which is having problems.

It seems that because it has stood still for so long and done so little mileage (6,400 miles in 5.5 years), the injectors have got gunged up and need replacing.

I'm a little skeptical, as since purchase at Christmas time, the car has done a further 2,500 miles, many on the motorway. However, if this is the case, then here is an example of why not to buy a low mileage car.

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Why not to buy a low mileage car... - Aprilia
Espada

I have replied to your post in 'Technical'. I don't believe the 'low mileage' argument. And I suspect your saga is a long way from finished.....

I would not be surprised (if the injectors are genuinely 'clogged' - with metal swarf!) that mis-fuelling or some failure of the pump/control system is not behind this. Injectors don't just 'gunge up'.
Why not to buy a low mileage car... - cheddar
Wife's Clio was nearly three years old and only 4k miles when we bought it from a main dealer, no related problems in the 4 years or so since, in fact very few problems at all. Touch wood!
Why not to buy a low mileage car... - barchettaman
Hope it works out OK Espada - but by the look of things Aprilia et al are giving you some sound advice!
Oh, to be in the position to afford a low-mileage Merc 320...
(sighs)
Why not to buy a low mileage car... - The Bear
Dont laugh but my wife had exactly the same problem. It seems she pushed the stalk DOWN for speed limiter instead of UP for cruise control
Why not to buy a low mileage car... - L'escargot
The low buying price should more than compensate for any repair work needed.
--
L\'escargot.
Why not to buy a low mileage car... - Collos25
You do not replace Injectors just because they have clogged up,they can be quite easily cleaned.I think it needs a closer coat of looking at.
Why not to buy a low mileage car... - mike hannon
I don't really buy this 'low mileage equals problems' line. Sorry HJ. I have repeatedly bought fairly old but low mileage cars - not all Hondas - and have not, so far, had any of the problems some people think are inevitable.
My fingers are crossed, of course, because I'll be off on a longish jaunt in a week or two with the latest one!
On the other hand, I saw a thread on here the other day that talked about company cars - the sort you are supposed to buy because they have only done 100k motorway miles - being thrashed mercilessly up and down the country while not being properly serviced because they will soon be sold on.
Why not to buy a low mileage car... - Xileno {P}
It depends how the low mileage is accumulated. A 7 mile trip once a week is better than 1 mile every day. There's an old lady near us who drives her VW half a mile to church on a Sunday, then back home. She keeps her car immaculate, hardly does any miles. Trades it in for a new one every few years. I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, the engine never gets up to normal temperature.
Why not to buy a low mileage car... - local yokel
The low mileage excuse does not make sense - gunge/blockages or other faults caused by a lack of use in the fueling system would have presented in the first few tankfulls since you bought it, not 2,500 miles. Diesels in particular (because of the nature of diesel) should be far less prone to a lack of use.

My father had a hobby grey Fergie, diesel. It usage was very irregular (because he spent at least six months at sea each year, and I was too young to drive it), so he when came home, he put the battery on charge, used it for an hour or two a few times, parked it, and then went off again for a few months. It's still going strong.