more about carjacking etc - colin
Following on my previous posts about extras we didn't know we needed, and the hefty coverage of mobile/handbag theft etc in DT of late, I have to say that our Scenic has one feature which I think is a quite a good wheeze (sorry about that, HJ).

When you reach approx 5mph the doors lock automatically, only openable from the inside. Obviously a problem if someone needs to get you out in a hurry, but on balance ...?

Not a luxury motor, so I wonder if many others have it.
Re: more about carjacking etc - Darcy Kitchin
Rover 75
Re: more about carjacking etc - MarkS
VW & Audi can have their software set to do this. I imagine Seat & Skoda as well. Needs to be done at VAG Dealer using VAS 5051 or VAG 1551 computer.
Re: more about carjacking etc - markymarkn
Won't that wear out the central locking motors prematurely?

mark.
Re: more about carjacking etc - THe Growler
Yep, my F150 does just that.
Re: more about carjacking etc - PhiL P
Merc A-Class
Re: more about carjacking etc - ian (cape town)
Hate to say it, but auto-locking doors mean sod all when the thief lobs a brick through the side glass...
Re: more about carjacking etc - Tomo
Toad (the firm) security systems can do it. You get in, shut the door, start up and in a few seconds the doors lock, You can then unlock at the door if you wish.

(That is how Toad the car came to be named, having a little sign on each sidr which from a foot or two merely says "Toad".)
Re: more about carjacking etc - Ian Cook
Colin

Reading the replies in this thread, together with recent newspaper items convinces me that things like self-locking doors are not the complete answer, although they are a good start. You have to get out of your car, eventually.

The people carrying out car jacking are quite prepared to use violence, as witness the nanny who was attacked after she had got out of the car - same with the woman who had her Merc stolen.

No, these thieves are brazen. According to police statistics, many of them don't have a record of car theft and they are using these techniques because they lack the "skills" to steal cars fitted with sophisticated security devices.

The result is nothing short of an epidemic of violent robbery, probably driven by a need to feed drug habits.

This will only be solved with a hard campaign of significant police presence, working with the courts. Stiffer sentencing on its own won't work - what's the point of massive jail sentences if villains don't get apprehended?

Oh, and the drugs problem really has to be solved as a number one priority.

Ian
Re: more about carjacking etc - Brian
Try a pistol in the side pocket.
Oh, I forgot, it's illegal to defend yourself, only crooks and armed response units are allowed guns.
Re: more about carjacking etc - Alwyn
Brian,

Nice one!

A. Shooter.
Re: more about carjacking etc - boost
Yeah it is illegal to carry a gun you numptie !

This ain't the States thank god.
Re: more about carjacking etc - ian (cape town)
Boost,
Which is why the crims have guns, and the public get robbed!

There was a thread about this a while back ... Randolph Lee started it "This sort of thing makes me sick to the stomach" was the title
Re: more about carjacking etc - Andy P
You can always resort to a handy 35mm fire extinguisher...

Andy
Re: more about carjacking etc - Alwyn
Boost,

It is not illegal to carry a gun in UK. I often carry a semi-auto shotgun to the shooting grounds. No problems.
Re: more about carjacking etc - THe Growler
Are you allowed to carry mace and pepper sprays in UK? I always have a couple handy, and Blossom has handbag size ones. Never had to use 'em on people yet but the pepper works a treat on stray dogs.
Re: Mace/Pepper Sprays - Ronnie Courtney
Growler - Only *legal* carriers are police officers on duty, but I suspect that there will be lots of tales about other carriers. BTW - the RSPCA wouldn't be too thrilled by your alternative use ....

Regards

Ronnie
Re: Mace/Pepper Sprays - Brian
I wonder what a faceful of an aerosol such as room freshner, oven cleaner or hair spray would be like as a deterrent?
Re: Mace/Pepper Sprays - colin
Hmmm. Oven cleaner. Nice one, Brian.
"But, Officer, I'm just on my way home from Tesco."
Re: Mace/Pepper Sprays - Cockle
Unfortunately I think we in the UK are getting into a vicious downward spiral of violent street crime. I think we need to learn the hard learnt lessons of others, New York seems to have got its act together and this was achieved by zero tolerance and lots of police presence.

I seem to recall reading some time ago that the deterent to most criminal acts is not necessarily the sentence but the certainty that you WILL be caught and you WILL be punished. This can only be achieved by a combination of police presence where it matters, determined courts and, most importantly, a community that will back the first two to the hilt.

Sadly I think the third will be the most difficult to achieve because people don't want to get involved but nor are they willing to pay the monetary price to finance the law enforcement process.

I think Ian Cook is correct about drug habits driving* the increase in street crime, the debate there is whether legalisation would reduce that driving force* or whether increased penalties and certainty of prosecution would be a sufficient deterrent.

* token motoring reference :-)
Re: Mace/Pepper Sprays - boost
OK - for the pedants among you - it is illegal to carry a loaded gun - blah blah
Does everyone want to start carrying guns to protect property - its bad new all round.......
Re: Mace/Pepper Sprays - ian (cape town)
Boost, not if you can shoot straighter than the villains... :)
Re: Mace/Pepper Sprays - Brian
IMHO it is bad news if all the villains are armed with guns or knives and the public are not.
OK, if there are only a few villains around then the risk is low and acceptable.
If muggings and car-jackings are happening on a daily basis then we need more police or more self-defence.
If we are forced into self-defence then we need laws which make it legal.
Re: Mace/Pepper Sprays - boost
Hey I shoot from the hip......